Contact Cement on Mouthplate Pattern PROBLEM!

Whispers

Reaction score
I'm having a very hard time with a puppet I'm making. I'm using regular Rubber Cement on the mouthplate to glue the foam to the mouthline, but the glue simply won't adhere the foam and the ducttape to eachother. I'm using Gatorfoam for my mouthplate and it works fine until I get to the joining part. What should I do?

I already tried using more glue and ended up having the foam soaked and stuck to itself, pinching in the cheeks and had to cut and glue a new front face for the puppet.

Teenager's

Reaction score
You don't have to glue the duct tape onto the poster board. The tape can stay on itself....You can just stick it on....the glue just makes it slip & slide.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
why are you using Rubber cement?

read thru the forms search for glue,youll find a lot of helpful hints

Nojoy

Reaction score
Hot glue the sucker... cheap hot glue gun will run you maybe $3 dollars (US) at Walmart... and a small bag of glue sticks another $3 to $4 bucks.

Hot glue. It's the puppet builders version of duct tape.

wes

Reaction score
I use Contact cement from a hardware store or 3m 74 spray glue. the contact cement works the best, it's storng stuff.

Whispers

Reaction score
@Teenager's I don't think you understand the problem, I have 2 half circles for the mouthplates. I duct taped them together with a small gap in between.

@Ravage I always use rubber cement to glue my puppets together!

@Nojoy I would have but the foam is the puppets skin as well and glue doesn't give it a nice clean look.

@Wes I'm using that contact cement but I don't know why it won't work D:

Teenager's

Reaction score
@Teenager's I don't think you understand the problem, I have 2 half circles for the mouthplates. I duct taped them together with a small gap in between.
Yea......That's exactly what I do.

You don't need contact cement for it. Just the duct tape, it's sticky enough to stay that way. Personally though....I don't just use one piece I use two pieces. One for the back & one for the front that overlaps.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Rubber cement deteriorates quickly over time. It just won't last very long. Are you possibly using the terms contact cement & rubber cement interchangeably?

tztz, fresh is always best.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Whispers;617570 @Ravage I always use rubber cement to glue my puppets together! @Wes I'm using that contact cement but I don't know why it won't work D:[/QUOTE said:
beacuse Rubber cement is not the same thing as Contact Cement

the bond is not any where near as strong,

use contact cement you will find that the bond is much stronger, just be sure to follow the Health guide lines on the bottle, plenty of Ventilation, and perhaps a Good vapor mask that you can purchase at a hardware store.
i have been doing this a long time, that is why i suggest you search the forum for this topic , we have discussed it many ,many times.

Whispers

Reaction score
@Teenager No you still don't get it sorry >_< I did use two pieces to do that. Now I'm trying to glue the foam skull to the mouthplate

@Stacey I think that is my problem XD;;

@Ravage Thanks I think I finally get that problem so I need to go out and buy some CONTACT cement ^^;

Thanks everyone! I've found a solution =]