Congress Votes: Stop Funding PBS-VOTERS WRITE!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
You mean am I gay? No. But I support them. Kyle's post speaks for itself.
That's okay, after all, one of my favorite comedians was gay.

SillyRed

Reaction score
How can the characters on those shows be Homosexuals? They ARE NOT REAL!!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I think this thread's taking a different turn here. So, let me interject (not as a moderator, either).

I only wanted the one response regarding the views expressed against PBS by whomever it was. That was one email, and more than likely from a particular group.

You all have to also realize that when it comes down to it, if you stop teaching compassion and tolerance, you would have to remove Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, and other such shows because--while they never mentioned homosexuality--they represent the world in which people accept each other whether they are gay, Bible-thumpers, white or black, healthy or sick, or a different nationality. That was the message Jim Henson tried to convey in all his work, really. He wanted a better world by the time he left here, and you can't get a better world by knocking another person and discriminating against them for whatever direction they want to live their life.

I mean, unless they're out there killing innocent people! Then, knock away!

I also don't think it's any of our business as to whether or not another member of the boards happen to be gay or not, and likewise I don't think it's fair to post against folks who are. Some of my very best friends live in that lifestyle, and I love them very much! They cause no harm to me or anybody else, and they certainly have never hurt those very same people who hate them and don't even know them.

I hope that will be the end of the discussion directed toward homosexuality.

What I DO think is that we need to connect and bind our efforts and begin writing to the congressmen and senators to get this vote turned around and save PBS. Nobody would be here now if it weren't for PBS and Sesame Street, and probably at least 4 or 5 other shows on that station.

Kids and folks who can't vote, get your parents involved! Explain to them that you need help to keep SS alive and why you think they need to write in!

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, I have read about this issue today and all I want to ask right now is for all of you to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you possibly can to protect Sesame Street and other such programs on PBS. It is shows like these that help make the world a better place to be.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My mom's response when I told her the news: "Oh no, that's terrible, we've got to do something!"

My dad's response when I told him the news: "Bah, no biggie, they'll get their money somewhere else."

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Now MoveOn.org is saying that the next vote on the cuts will take place tomorrow (Thursday). Seems like we have to go beyond the net to get the word out ...

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i wrote to my state senetor PBS is neededmore then every i need it for my children and they gave seasame st and sqaure one and ec and all those shows a chance to make learning fun

my letter was a lot more articulite and thought out but you get the jist i also wrote to NJ GOV Cody and hopefuul doug Forrester ( Who i'm campaigning for ) NJN state run PBS here in nj is a state issue of majority funding also Forrester saed it is importaint

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Mr. Peter Nehra

Dear Peter:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about management of the
Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and the Public Broadcasting Service
(PBS). I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The CPB is a private, not-for-profit corporation established by Congress in
1967, and it is the largest single funding source for public television and
radio programming. The President appoints each member of the Board of
Directors; those members in turn select the chair. The Board elected Kenneth
Tomlinson as its chair in September of 2003.

Since then, Mr. Tomlinson has made it clear that he believes PBS and
National Public Radio (NPR) have liberal bias in their programming. Last year,
he hired an outside consultant to keep track of the political leanings of guests
on “Now” with Bill Moyers, and is reportedly considering taking similar action
against NPR’s coverage of the Middle East. Recently, the ranking Democrats on
the House Appropriations and Commerce Committees sent a letter to CPB’s
Inspector General charging Mr. Tomlinson with breaking the law in these efforts.
I am pleased to report that the Inspector General’s office has launched an
investigation into the matter.

I listen to National Public Radio (NPR) and watch television programs on
PBS nearly every day. They provide a straightforward and objective presentation
of history and current events, and important educational programming. I firmly
believe in protecting the independence of public broadcasting, and I will oppose
all efforts by Mr. Tomlinson to compromise it.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please feel free to do so again
about issues of interest or concern to you.