Congress Votes: Stop Funding PBS-VOTERS WRITE!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Found this at Toughpigs.com (Thanks Danny!)

Congress voted on June 9 to stop funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. More info can be found at www.toughpigs.com.

I'm asking that all voters please write to your Congressman and Senator and ask them to reverse that vote. Cite your reasons for that, as well.

Such a cut could cause the cancellation of PBS from broadcasting such educational and inspirational programming like Sesame Street, Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood, and more.

Below is a letter I wrote (changed accordingly based on writing to my Congressman or Senator, so don't copy and paste it) as an example.

These links are posted at TP, but I'm copying them here for easier access so you can find your own Congressman or Senator and send them an email:
Congressman: http://www.house.gov/writerep/
Senator: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Thanks,
Kev

Dear Congressman/Senator,

I'm a supporter of your's, having voted for you in each election because I do have faith and trust in your services to our fine city/state.

Recently, I've become aware that on June 9th, Congress has voted to cut funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which is a very sensitive issue for me as that directly affects PBS.

For many years PBS has offered educational programming and cultural documentaries for everyone in every age group. Cutting funds for the CBP could ultimately end with PBS, home to Sesame Street and other shows, closing shop!

I'm sure that you would not like to see that happen, as, (when you were a kid, I'm sure you watched) (I’m sure your kids watch) Sesame Street, or Electric Company, or any of the other fine programs that not only entertained us, but also educated us. There have been studies that proved that children who watched public television's educational programs grew up smarter than kids who didn't.

Whatever I can do to help in this matter please let me know, but please do everything within your power to cancel or reverse the vote to cut CPB funding. We want the children of today to be smart and inspired, and CPB has provided both for kids for many years. It would be a shame to let that whither away on the floor of Congress where the education and inspiration of America's children should be the first priority.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Kevin L. Williams

Whatever

Reaction score
How low-down can they get? Grrr. They can't do that!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They've been talking about this since January. The only reason they're doing this is because they're afraid that PBS kids shows are promoting homosexuality (which they aren't, they're saying be tolerant of those who are homosexuals).

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
They've been talking about this since January. The only reason they're doing this is because they're afraid that PBS kids shows are promoting homosexuality (which they aren't, they're saying be tolerant of those who are homosexuals).
I never heard about that before. Where did you hear that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Being a homeschooler, my mom receives e-mails about what's going on in the world of homeschooling. Well, one day in late January/early February, my mom received an e-mail stating "Just Say No to Clifford". The e-mail consisted on why not to support such shows (some of which weren't even PBS shows like SpongeBob SquarePants and Little Lulu). They were stating the these shows were teaching tolerence of others, which included being tolerent of those who are homosexuals (since homosexuality is against Biblical principals). Since I intern down at my local PBS, I talked to them about that, and they we're aware of it, because MOST of the shows they wanted to stop supporting were PBS shows. The pledge drive seemed to go smoothly though, but the whole "tolerence" thing was still going on, and started to catch the attention of Congress. That's just about the best way I can explain it Kev.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Theres no stopping any type of sexual stuff but if this means saying goodbye to Sesame Street I say were going to have to do something. *holds ups signs that say "Down with Homosexual up with Sesame Street, Mr Rogers, Etc." *

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
*holds ups signs that say "Down with Homosexual up with Sesame Street, Mr Rogers, Etc." *
I hope you don't mean that ... :concern:

SillyRed

Reaction score
I bet they think there's Homosexuality on Dragon Tales also.