Confessing Fears

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I was scared of lots of stuff as a kid. Here's some stuff I was scared of that I can remember:

- From The Brave Little Toaster, the junkyard scene (specifically the car crusher, with those huge, chomping "teeth") and the evil nightmare clown. Looking back, those scenes are even more disturbing now than they were back then.

- The opera singing puppet boy in the pink house from Teletubbies. Go ahead, make fun of me all you want. But I'm telling you, once you've actually seen that segment, you'll probably see why I thought it was so scary when I was a toddler. (Plus, if DrTooth were still around, he would probably agree with me that the puppetry was kinda lousy. :laugh:)

- The old beggar woman from the intro of Beauty and the Beast. I know, I'm an awful and selfish person, turn me into a beast…

- This little flying robot guy from the HBO show Crashbox. If you watched that show, you MIGHT know who I'm talking about. Sometimes in between games, he would fly up to the screen and say "Hey there! Next game coming up!" Now I think he's kinda cute and I think it's funny that he freaked me out.

- The blue "you're not perfect" thing on Courage the Cowardly Dog kinda freaked me out. I thought he/she/whatever-it-was looked like a horribly deformed version of Squidward.

- Speaking of Courage, I think "return the slab" might have scared me, but I remembered it being much scarier. I somehow remembered it as a whole crowd of creepy zombie-looking people all standing in a field, saying in creepy, monotonous voices, "return the slab". Maybe I'm getting this one mixed up with something else I saw as a kid?

- The Klasky-Csupo Splaat logo. This one scared me to death. I always had to close my eyes at the end of Rugrats or any other K-C shows. It still freaks me out to this day. Heck, even Omega Flowey from Undertale isn't as scary as THAT thing!

- Speaking of logos, the "Disney DVD" opening logo. I have no idea why I was scared of this one, when there's really nothing that scary about it, except for maybe the fact that it's kinda loud.

- Yet another logo I was scared of was the THX logo. It always made me plug my ears, because I HATED the sound. I was (and I still am) sensitive to loud noises as a kid.

- The part in Shrek where Shrek roars. This scene gave me nightmares and I wouldn't watch Shrek for years because of it. Yet I was totally fine with watching Shrek 2.

If I remember more things that scared me, I'll post them later.
I hate that opera puppet now.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
That Teletubby thing was pretty creepy but even that's nothing compared to The Lion and The Bear. Every time I so much as hear,
"I'm the bear,
I'm the bear,
With brown fuzzy hair,"
I get goosebumps and my heart races a mile a minute as if I'd seen a ghost. This is by far the creepiest thing to ever air on children's television. The bear looks like ******* Freddy Fazbear for crying out loud. Even though this is from freaking Teletubbies of all things, I feel like I have to put a content warning so I don't end up disturbing younger children who may come across my post here:
WARNING! Features scary, disturbing, creepy and otherwise cringeworthy content.
That could easily have been aired on [adult swim]. Honestly, when I first saw this on YouTube (thank goodness I never saw it as a kid), I thought this was somebody's childhood ruining parody a la Robot Chicken. It looks and feels almost identical to those "Ha ha, we turned your childhood show into horror" type things you can often find on YouTube, Deviantart, Twitter, etc.
I can see why kids would be scared of the Lion and Bear sketch. Though I personally think the lion is creepier than the bear.
But still, that puppet, man... That little freak HAUNTED me in my childhood. But looking back, he's really not as creepy as he was back then. Now, he looks like one of those cheaply made puppets from a low-budget Christian kids show.
But anyway, who knew a show like Teletubbies could be so darn creepy!?

How about this?

Just nothing but pure nightmares. Literally.
I loved that one when I was little! I think it's kinda cute, really. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Teletubbies sketch, but it's true.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I can see why kids would be scared of the Lion and Bear sketch. Though I personally think the lion is creepier than the bear.
But still, that puppet, man... That little freak HAUNTED me in my childhood. But looking back, he's really not as creepy as he was back then. Now, he looks like one of those cheaply made puppets from a low-budget Christian kids show.
But anyway, who knew a show like Teletubbies could be so darn creepy!?

I loved that one when I was little! I think it's kinda cute, really. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Teletubbies sketch, but it's true.
In my opinion, I don't think it's cute at all. But the animation is beautiful though and just love the faces on the Teletubbies.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
More things I was scared of:

- most bugs, except for ants, caterpillars, butterflies, and some others (I still don't like bugs, blegh. What's funny is that I loved the show Miss Spider's Sunny Patch.)

- dogs (still not really a dog person)

- thunderstorms (still hate them)

Now for some more "silly" childhood fears:

- the walkaround Chuck E. Cheese costume (I know, I know, that's dumb... But can you really blame a 4 year old?)

- The Arby's oven mitt (that creepy puppet they would use in the old Arby's commercials)

- The Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds (yeah, I dunno why either. :confused:)

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Spiders mostly. This fear was manifested the day I was at a friend's house during her birthday party. They had a movie channel that was running this movie, "Kingdom of the Spiders" and I happened to see part of it while I was there. Eeeeeeeek! I was eight years old at the time.

I used to be afraid of the Haunted Mansion in Disney World. It has since become one of my favorite rides (mainly because I have become a huge fan of the voice of the Ghost Host, Paul Frees). Maelstrom in the Norway pavilion in EPCOT used to freak me out, too. I was actually in tears when we got off that one (again, I was only seven or eight).

Then there was the scene in "Pinocchio" where Lampwick turned into a donkey. Age 4 when I first saw it (it's now one of my favorite movies, believe it or not).

Tigers and lions when they roared. For years, I would always plug my ears with my fingers whenever we visited the big cats at the National Zoo.

Quite a few things from "Sesame Street" bothered me, too, but I think that's in another section of the forum, so I won't go into that.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I just thought of another one. When I was little, the five o' clock bird whistle in the opening credits of "The Flintstones."

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I know this is Henson related, but I thought I'd mention that I was scared of Bear from Bear in the Big Blue House. Especially when he did his sniff. I still watched the show anyway, but I would cover my eyes or run and hide when Bear "sniffed" the viewers.

Along with the two Sesame Street moments that I mentioned in the "What Sketches Scared You as a Kid" thread, Bear was one of the only Muppet/Henson things that scared me.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My fears

- Ice cream trucks

- A music box that plays a lullaby

- EAS tests

- Some local commercials that made me cry so much, my parents had to turn the volume down on our old television in order to calm me down

- Musical bagpipes that play the national anthem of Scotland

- This musical Looney Tunes ornament that had Tweety singing Christmas songs

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Also used to be scared of this thing that was also tinny just like the bagpipes, but instead of the national anthem, it was an old time song called I Wanna Be Loved By You.