COMIC STRIP COMPLAINT, Etc.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I have Guy's email at home, so I'm going to forward him a link. I think it's wonderful homage to Guy's work!!

Plus, the Muppets as he drew them look super cool!!

Kev<------(wishes he had the 4 books of comic strip reprints).

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the newspapers (in reality) would love to be rid of comic strips altogether! Why? They pay for comic strips, and they get paid to run advertisements, and the comics take up valuable ad space (which is why there was a theraputic heating pad covering the entire back page of the funnies one sunday...

does anyone actually pay attention to advertisements in a newspaper everday? ya sure sunday is the day where advertisers try to give you ads and try to go to their store and buy their stuff but during the week, no one cares about advertisements. people just want to read what happened locally, nationally, and in around the world; they want to read about sports, weather, and their comics just to get a few laughs in.

but i think you do need comics in a news paper everyday so people can laugh or smile. it can improve a person's day by just reading a comic strip! it does with me sometimes!..

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I, for one, never read ads in a newspaper.

Though, sometimes, I do clip coupons. :flirt:

So, has anybody decided to write your local papers to compliment what's great about the comics and complain against those things you don't like?

Bulldawg

Reaction score
FoxTrot is the ONLY strip that i read anymore.....and ive gotten to the point where i dont even read it on a regular basis...i just wait for the booked collection of strips to come out and buy that.....this way i get the funny all in one.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Before long, the books of collections will be the only way we have to appreciate and enjoy them at the rate the newspapers are going. :frown:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Get Fuzzy is the best thing in comics today. Most cartoonists name it as their favorite strip. I also agree with the comments about Garfield, the strip has been awful since Jim Davis "cashed out." I think it's a shame Calvin and Hobbes isn't around anymore, but more strips should follow Bill's example and close their strip down when it runs out of new ideas.

radionate

Reaction score
Am I the only person in the world who thinks Get Fuzzy isn't funny in the least? In fact I find it stupid, in my honest opinion.

I fail to see the humor in most of the strips I've seen. What is its charm and appeal? I know it was just named best strip this past year, and for the life of me, I'm lost as to why.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
radionate said:
Am I the only person in the world who thinks Get Fuzzy isn't funny in the least? In fact I find it stupid, in my honest opinion.

I fail to see the humor in most of the strips I've seen. What is its charm and appeal? I know it was just named best strip this past year, and for the life of me, I'm lost as to why.
I have to admit, I don't get "Get Fuzzy" either. It doesn't make much sense to me. My favorite comic strips are "Peanuts," "For Better or Worse," "Baby Blues," "Zits," and "Luann." I think there are a lot of comics out there that don't make a whole lot of sense.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I like the art-style of Get Fuzzy, but I do think it would work better as something on-screen rather than in-print. With action and personality projected by actors it may be funny writing then. Unfortunately, most jokes you read nowadays shoot for the obvious punchline, and while I try NOT to do that, I still fall victim to it.

I'd also like to point out that our local paper got rid of Mary Worth-esque comics, have begun running the comics larger, and are testing different strips!!

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD AND WRITE!!

Kev

radionate

Reaction score
And they also got rid of Arlo and Janice.

GRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr