Columbia DVDs: I am so upset

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
Here we go again with the captioning...

I checked amazon.com a week ago to make sure the new Columbia Muppet DVDs were captioned. It said yes. I think it was Phil here who checked with Columbia to make sure it was captioned. He/they said yes.

So I bought the discs at Target today. They are not captioned. No subtitles, either. No way to find that out except by playing it. Target does not take back opened DVDs. I'm stuck with this $20 movie I can't watch.

I just checked amazon again. The reference to captioning is gone.

Phil, can you tell me who told you the DVDs were captioned?

I'm hoping the company will take this dratted disc off my hands. It makes me mad. I thought for once a company wasn't screwing over the deaf population. HA!:mad:

grail

Reaction score
that's horrible...

i say make columbia reimburse you because they flat screwed you over...i'm really sorry to see that happen...

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
This is truly ridiculous. There is no reason why any product released today shouldn't have captioning. I don't know what can be done exactly, but like Grail said, Columbia should reimburse you, or provide you with the proper product. Very sorry to hear that large companies aren't more sympathetic to the needs of those in the Deaf community.

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
thanks

Thank you for your sympathies. Struggling with lack of captioning from companies too cheap to make their products accessible to everyone is nothing new. This instance really burns my toast because everything indicated it WAS captioned, but then it wasn't. What a disappointment that was. I had to remind myself that there are many worse things in the world than not being able to watch a DVD.

I e-mailed Columbia to complain, and I'm going to try to make a big enough stink at Target so that they take it back. Maybe for the 50th anniversary, the movies will be captioned. :rolleyes:

grail

Reaction score
if all else fails, maybe one of the folks in here who was going to buy them but hasn't yet would be willing to work something out with you. i really wish i hadn't already opened mine when i read your post...

i really hope they pay attention because that's just crummy...

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
yay!

Good news in the captioning saga. After my long-winded story and a tear or two (just kidding), Target refunded my money. So I haven't lost 20 bucks.

Still wish I could see TMS again (I could hear back then), but I'll be able to keep content with Kermit's Swamp Years. It's not on the same level as TMS, but it's pretty darn cute. I think the muppeteer for Goggles is a real talent.

I'd still like to know, though, Phil: Did Columbia or its press releases say outright that the DVDs were going to be captioned? Wonder what went wrong...

Luke

Reaction score
Great to see you got it sorted out - i'll keep a look out to see if any of the UK released stuff is close captioned as the europeans discs often get better treatment in that way ..... but it'd only work if you had a multi-region DVD player.

grail

Reaction score
well, i'm glad to know you at least got your cash back...i was kinda worried about that...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: yay!

Originally posted by WOMAN! WOMAN!
I'd still like to know, though, Phil: Did Columbia or its press releases say outright that the DVDs were going to be captioned? Wonder what went wrong...
Yes they did. I'm trying to get a response on what happened. If I do, I'll pass along the info.

Glad you got your money back from Target.