Clown removing makeup sketch??

grinder

Reaction score
I have seen several references to this clip in this forum, just wondering if anyone had access to it and would be willing to share. This clip kinda freaked me out as a kid, and I have no idea why. Thanks :smile:

G

BillKal

Reaction score
All I remember about it was that it was Dustin Hoffman as the clown taking off the makeup. And then saying something like "This is what I really look like". Then there is a split screen with him and him in the clown makeup.

Beauregard

Reaction score
grinder said:
I have seen several references to this clip in this forum, just wondering if anyone had access to it and would be willing to share. This clip kinda freaked me out as a kid, and I have no idea why. Thanks :smile:

G
I can imagine it would freak you out. I'd be interested in seeing it, but I must say, just the title of this thread freaked me out. Clowns, white faced, are particularly scary. And takingmake-up off...*shiver*

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
As I remember he took off his red nose and clown wig but for the removal of the make-up they must have run the film of him putting on backwards quickly so that it looked like he was putting it back inside the dispensers.

I remember even as a kid I had to think to myself how exaggerated it must have been.

Definitely a good clip though.

Tim

Reaction score
BillKal said:
All I remember about it was that it was Dustin Hoffman as the clown taking off the makeup. And then saying something like "This is what I really look like". Then there is a split screen with him and him in the clown makeup.
Actually, it wasn't Dustin Hoffman, rather a character actor named Dennis Allen, best remebered for beign a cast member on the original "Laugh-In". Don't know what ever became of him, but I always liked that clip. The punch line was after the split-screen he says to the camera "Which face do you like better?" (looking at his own clown face) "Me too."

Andy

Reaction score
Hold the phone:-D! There's another thread which maintains that the clown in question is Pat Paulsen. Someone REALLY needs to get this clip up over at youtube.com if for no other reason than to get a positive ID on this guy. I have reason to believe it's Pat Paulsen, as Dennis Allen is more fairhaired, and the actor in the film clip is dark haired.

grinder

Reaction score
Andy said:
Hold the phone:-D! There's another thread which maintains that the clown in question is Pat Paulsen. Someone REALLY needs to get this clip up over at youtube.com if for no other reason than to get a positive ID on this guy. I have reason to believe it's Pat Paulsen, as Dennis Allen is more fairhaired, and the actor in the film clip is dark haired.
Amen, brother! :zany:
Someone please help resolve this controversy!

Thanks,
G

Tim

Reaction score
I can see the confusion since Dennis Allen played it real dead-pan, just like Pat Paulson's character. Paulson (I think) was older. shorter and posibly grayer at the time (early 70's). I was really into both shows (S.S. & Laugh-In) at the time, and I remember thinking when I saw Dennis Allen "Hey, it's the clow guy from Sesame Street!"