Cliff's Nightmare on Nick at Nite

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hi all,

In case you've never seen "Cliff's Nightmare," the Cosby Show episode that featured the Muppets, it's on Nick at Night right now! Sorry for the late notice, but I just saw it in the listings this second.

jediX

Reaction score
I try and tape that show digitally every time it comes on just in case they forget to put the Nick bug on the screen for a while, so I can composite em' to a nice little edit :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Good thing I was around to tape it this time. :smile:

I'm confused: I always thought Noel MacNeal was the narrator ... when did it become Wallace Shawn? Also, wasn't there a cold open that featured Sprocket? :confused:

Reaction score
I caught that on Nick-at-Nite about three nights ago, and I just about fell out of my chair. The funny thing is, from watching Cosby through most of the 80s, I never knew that episode existed. To me that's strange, since I know most-things Henson, but this one threw me for a loop. It looks like it was done in 1990. When it first started, I saw the sausage sandwhich puppet on the back of the couch, talking to Cliff, and my gut reaction was "That looks like a Henson creation." My gut was affirmed when Sweetums walked in the door.

That was a classical episode and great work done by both producers of the show and the Henson team. It's a must see to own on DVD-- if ever the case. A total unexpected cross-over.

jediX

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
Good thing I was around to tape it this time. :smile:

I'm confused: I always thought Noel MacNeal was the narrator ... when did it become Wallace Shawn? Also, wasn't there a cold open that featured Sprocket? :confused:
I think they just used him since it was kind of a "storytelling" episode.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I've never heard of this episode, does anyone have a summary? :confused:
Basically, Cliff comes home late from the hospital and has a meatball sandwich or something of that nature for a snack before he goes to bed. He then has this really weird nightmare wherein such things happen as Olivia being regarded as a child prodigy by scientists from the 19th/early 20th Century, Theo in the Navy (and outranking Cliff) and, of course, the Muppets showing up halfway through the episode. Sweetums and Thog haul Cliff to the hospital, which is now populated by Muppets, where he has to deliver a baby Koozebanian on a stage similar to the Muppet theatre.

Oddly enough, in the theatre scene Cliff also ends up filling in for Waldorf in the "balcony", heckling along with Statler. Does anyone know the reason for this move, other than it was put in the script as a funny idea?

-Kim

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Boober Gorg, it's always been Wallace Shawn. I remember it from its NBC airings.

Kim, I guess Jim just wasn't available to play Waldorf. People often mistakenly think Jim was absent because he had passed away, but the episode aired in Jan. 1990, four months before his death.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
Boober Gorg, it's always been Wallace Shawn. I remember it from its NBC airings.

Kim, I guess Jim just wasn't available to play Waldorf. People often mistakenly think Jim was absent because he had passed away, but the episode aired in Jan. 1990, four months before his death.
What I've learned from others is that Jim and Frank were both unavailable, filming the Muppets at WDW special.