Classic "Today" Appearence

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed underneath the video screen it says that content from the site may not be used on news or information sites without written permission... What does this mean? Is the site telling people not to share the link or what...?

Anyway, that was great. While skipping to the Muppet parts I watched a few non-Muppet parts, and it's interesting that the commercials were included. There also seems to be some occasional minutes of nothing but a black screen. What gives there?

A portion of the Kermit and Grover clip appeared in the "Time and Again" special on Jim Henson. It is interesting how when Grover first appears, the screen pretty much cuts Frank Oz out of the picture, but we still get plent yof Jim Henson when Kermit enters.

Also, I think it was around the 30 minute mark, Kermit makes an earlier appearance in this, in his trenchcoat (but not his hat... I guess they wanted his reporter attire to be like on The Muppet Show, though Grover does appear in this), helping Gene Shalit introduce a station break.

It seems like the appearance was hardly promoting anything aside from the fact that it was the Muppets 45th appearance on the show. The Muppet Show and Sesame Street are hardly discussed.

zns

Reaction score
Wonderful find. This is a piece of history. :smile::super:

Dearth

Reaction score
There also seems to be some occasional minutes of nothing but a black screen. What gives there?
I forget the term, but national shows sometimes build in a spot where the local carriers can run a station ID, ad for the local news etc, or even local business commercials.

It is interesting how when Grover first appears, the screen pretty much cuts Frank Oz out of the picture, but we still get plenty of Jim Henson when Kermit enters.
I think that's just an organic accident of the fact that both puppeteers were doing their puppets right-handed. If Kermit's in the shot and Gene Shalit is in the shot, Jim has to be in the shot. But Grover is between Frank and Gene, meaning they can get a better, closer shot of the Grover puppet with Gene, which crops Frank.

The cameramen probably didn't have anything more in mind than getting the best shot they could, although at some point it does seem the director may've thought it looked like Frank was being deliberately excluded, because then they pull back to a wider shot so everyone is visible, even Frank while doing Grover.

That NBC news watermark is highly irritating in the middle of the screen. But just to get a glimpse of the leg control mechanisms for Kermit, I still love this clip. Thanks for sharing.

Alex

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That NBC news watermark is highly irritating in the middle of the screen. But just to get a glimpse of the leg control mechanisms for Kermit, I still love this clip. Thanks for sharing.
That was cool to see. I've noticed the green things behind Kermit's legs which look like back legs quite a few times before when Kermit's been sitting, but this is the first I can recall seeing the wires that moe the legs. Though it seems like after they changed the material used to build Kermit those green "back legs" haven't really been visible when Kermit was sitting.