Christmas Eve on Sesame Street DVD Quality Issues

Rugby

Reaction score
I bought my copy when it was released, but just opened it today and watched it with my kids. I was really disappointed to see what I would call digital distortion, or what I believe they call artifacting, in the dvd. You can especially notice it during the Cookie Monster parts where he is asking Santa for cookies. It seems any parts with bright and shiny objects like Cookie's eyes will cause the static like distortion I was talking about. Has anybody else noticed this with their copy? Has this already been discussed? Has anyone complained to Sony Wonders for such a poor film transfer? I expected a much better quality DVD than what we ended up with. It's really unforgivable. I may just stick with watching my VHS tape instead.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I've also heard it's a bad transfer, but that they don't have a "good" quality original to copy from. Not sure about that.

I don't have ANY version of this, so I may pick it up. I don't know.

I don't know much of anything evidently.

Quinnnnnnn

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rugby,

Here is Scott's DVD review of the disc.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/christmas_sesame_dvd.shtml

Part of the problem is that the special is almost 25 years old and the source material has likely deteriated a little. Back in 1978 most of us would watch this on a 19 inch tv at best. Sesame Workshop likely made the financial decision to release this as is in order to get it on the store shelves. Even though it's not perfect (and neither are the quality of the "Best of the Muppet Show DVD's"), this disc is still a bargain at $10. Isn't it better than not having this classic special on DVD at all?

If you'd like to submit a DVD review of this disc. Please e-mail it to me.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'll probably buy it because I love the special, and my VHS is a copy of a copy of a copy, and replicative fading has set in....so the DVD is definitely better than anything I got.

It's just too bad they don't have a better master--when so many of the other things they've transferred to DVD look so crispity crunchety.

Quinnnnnnnnn

Rugby

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me to the review, Phillip. You are correct. I do agree that having it on dvd as is is better than nothing at all. I was just hoping it would be perfect and was a little disappointed with the picture quality. I'm sure I'll get over it and forget about it soon. I really do love having it on dvd. I actually bought an extra copy on vhs for when my first vhs copy wore out. Now here's hoping for The Christmas Toy on dvd!