"Christmas Eve" Episode

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I loved it!!! See, their friendship means more to them than their rubber duckies and paperclips. And another thing too, Mr. Hooper was willing to give them back their prized possessions, despite the fact that now the cigar box and soap dish have yet to be paid for. But of course, Mr. Hooper wouldn't do that to them. (Cigar boxes are very useful y'know?)
Anyway, I agree that this is the best holiday special though, the only thing I like about Elmo Saves Christmas, is where the entire street gathered for a reprise of "Keep Christmas With You (All Through the Year)" in the arbor, while the only thing I liked about Elmo's World of Happy Holidays was the fact that it was teaching about other December holidays such as Hannukuh and Kwanza.

Bert and Ernie didn't need to pay him. That was Hooper's gift to them for Christmas. That was also one of the greatest Sesame Street scenes ever done, especially on Will Lee's part.

Bert: Ernie, we didn't get Mr. Hooper anything.
Ernie: Oh, you're right, Bert.
Hooper: You're wrong, boys! I got the best Christmas present ever.
Bert: What do you mean?
Ernie: Yeah, what do you mean?
Hooper: Well, I got see that everyone got exactly what they wanted for Christmas, huh. Merry Christmas!

It was wonderful! In a way, I think Mr. Hooper's other sort of "present" was when Bob wished him a Happy Hannukah. That meant a lot to Hooper that Bob remembered. Little moments like that are so subtle but so important to what makes Sesame Street so special. And it just took me til recently to realize that during the quick exchange on the street where he tells Bob he has "a little erand to do," and he is holding the two boxes, that he is on his way to Bert and Ernie's.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Thanks for remembering an often forgotten Sesame Street talent, Bear. :cool:

Yeah, I can understand where he might be forgotten by some, but he was on the show during my childhood so of course I wouldn't forget him. People often get him and Luis confused anyway.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Bert and Ernie didn't need to pay him. That was Hooper's gift to them for Christmas. That was also one of the greatest Sesame Street scenes ever done, especially on Will Lee's part.

Bert: Ernie, we didn't get Mr. Hooper anything.
Ernie: Oh, you're right, Bert.
Hooper: You're wrong, boys! I got the best Christmas present ever.
Bert: What do you mean?
Ernie: Yeah, what do you mean?
Hooper: Well, I got see that everyone got exactly what they wanted for Christmas, huh. Merry Christmas!

It was wonderful! In a way, I think Mr. Hooper's other sort of "present" was when Bob wished him a Happy Hannukah. That meant a lot to Hooper that Bob remembered. Little moments like that are so subtle but so important to what makes Sesame Street so special. And it just took me til recently to realize that during the quick exchange on the street where he tells Bob he has "a little erand to do," and he is holding the two boxes, that he is on his way to Bert and Ernie's.
That's why I always thought it was a mistake to exclude Ernie and Bert from sharing memories of Mr. Hooper after his death. If anyone would have had found memories of him, it would be them because of that Christmas. I particularly thought about this when Bert sang the line, "Though the years, we all will be together, if the fates allow." They could have used flashback scenes from the special and everything. Oh well, I guess they just can't fit everything in.

superfan

Reaction score
The whole scene is obviously a variation of the story of The Gift of the Magi. I have the movie on video tape and True Blue Miracle gets me teared up every time. It's a tradition now for daughter and I to watch it every year.

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
The whole scene is obviously a variation of the story of The Gift of the Magi. I have the movie on video tape and True Blue Miracle gets me teared up every time. It's a tradition now for daughter and I to watch it every year.

That's wonderful that you and your daughter can share that every year. I watch the show every year too, but don't always have anyone close that I can really share it with. just not many people that share the same sort of sentiment for it as I do. Although i must say, my brother always likes the part when Grover talks to all the kids. He thinks it's hilarious because so many of the answers are so weird. We enjoy that. I think I will share this special with my girlfriend this year. While she is not as big now as I am, she still enjoys the good classic stuff. We both LOVE watching Follow That Bird and we quote it all the time. This will be our first Christmas together and it is our favorite time of year. So we are going to make a list of all the great Christmas movies and specials and watch them together. It's good having a girl who appreciates your love for Muppets and things like that. Not easy to find. Then again, it turned out we are both Disney nuts, so it all works out great. LOL.
Anyway, this is such a beautiful special. I wish Sesame Street will make more things like it. Elmo Saves Christmas was pretty good actually, just different. It's been so long since they have done a holiday special on television. The time is now!!

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Although i must say, my brother always likes the part when Grover talks to all the kids. He thinks it's hilarious because so many of the answers are so weird.
The funniest answer was when Grover asked one child how Santa fits down the chimney and he said that Santa comes down with his reindeer. That's no answer; that's another question! LOL

Censored

Reaction score
It's also funny when Kermit quotes a child as saying that Santa sneaks in with the other relatives and stays all year round. Well, that would explain how he gets into ONE home, now how about all the others? :zany: