Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I personally can't tell if it's just a deep seated nostalgic thing or the fact that I do really like the song on its own (it's an awesome and underrated song), but all I know is that it's one of the only songs that really gets me in the Christmas mood.
No I get you, the chorus is very uplifting. It gets me in the mood too and I only heard it for the first time last year.

One in particular got so many requests for Dominique the Christmas Donkey (for those who don't know, we have a huge Italian population in Boston) that they actually had to resort to playing it once a day at the same time every time and announcing that they were playing it at that exact time of day.
Lol, yeah we have a large Italian population too and I'm quite familiar with Dominique the Donkey.

Drtooth

Reaction score
None of us cannot imagine how many requests a radio station would be flooded with to have to play a song at a certain time of day and advertise that they will. That's some love and dedication right there.

Oh, and in case anyone wants to ask, "If you love that song so much, why don't you just buy the CD." I tried that. Guess what happened? It was a mislabled CD of other Christmas songs. Not even Charlie Brown himself would have that kind of luck!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, and in case anyone wants to ask, "If you love that song so much, why don't you just buy the CD." I tried that. Guess what happened? It was a mislabled CD of other Christmas songs. Not even Charlie Brown himself would have that kind of luck!
Good grief...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, the one thing they're being good with is there haven't been any Christmas specials on regular Broadcast TV yet.

Of course, that's because these networks hate running specials of any kind. They almost do so out of obligation. Which sucks. Halloween only saw the annual Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin with the "You're not Elected" special. Which doesn't make any sense in an off season, and I don't understand why they don't just have that episode of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show where Marcie and Linus wait for the Great Pumpkin (and this time, it's a bowling ball thrown the wrong way by Charlie Brown instead of Snoopy howling). Or at least the seldom seen "It's a Nightmare, Charlie Brown." No Monsters Vs. Aliens: Attack of the Killer Pumpkins, no Scared Shrekless... no nothing. Thanksgiving will see that Charlie Brown special (and the boring one about the Mayflower).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway, the one thing they're being good with is there haven't been any Christmas specials on regular Broadcast TV yet.

Of course, that's because these networks hate running specials of any kind. They almost do so out of obligation. Which sucks. Halloween only saw the annual Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin with the "You're not Elected" special. Which doesn't make any sense in an off season, and I don't understand why they don't just have that episode of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show where Marcie and Linus wait for the Great Pumpkin (and this time, it's a bowling ball thrown the wrong way by Charlie Brown instead of Snoopy howling). Or at least the seldom seen "It's a Nightmare, Charlie Brown." No Monsters Vs. Aliens: Attack of the Killer Pumpkins, no Scared Shrekless... no nothing. Thanksgiving will see that Charlie Brown special (and the boring one about the Mayflower).
I think they include YOU'RE NOT ELECTED, CHARLIE BROWN, because 1. Election Day is practically right after Halloween, and it's somehow treated like a holiday in and of itself, and 2. Linus dedicates much of his first presidential address to discussing the Great Pumpkin... so, yeah...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think (and I can't really verify this since I don't have that version) that the Warner Bros released version of The Great Pumpkin comes with "It's Magic, Charlie Brown" instead of "You're not Elected" like the Paramount release.

That Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show episode about the Great Pumpkin, however, is an underrated classic. At least you could probably find the strips it was based off of if you look carefully enough.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, guess what? I saw Christmas decorations already at one house as I walking by. Arghhhhhh! :frown: What is wrong with people, society, and the community? Why can't they learn how to wait til next month? :sigh:
I guess I don't mind that so much as when people forget to shut the lights off when they go to bed at night.

A couple of years ago, I worked the graveyard shift. On the drive home, (it was about 3:30AM), the city was deserted. I noticed that someone had forgotten to shut off their lights. It wouldn't have been that bad if it was just a string or two, but whoever it was had a whole Griswold/Wizards in Winter thing set up. It was just weird seeing this huge display blinking to nobody. (I wonder what his neighbors thought). :eek:

Convincing John

Reaction score
I heard it when I was young on the way home from a relative's house on Christmas Eve. I personally can't tell if it's just a deep seated nostalgic thing or the fact that I do really like the song on its own (it's an awesome and underrated song), but all I know is that it's one of the only songs that really gets me in the Christmas mood.
That Snoopy song is one of my favorites too. If they play it on the radio while I'm driving, I'll just cruise around until it's over. It's too good of a song to miss!

Oh, and there's a grocery store called Meijer's in my area (pronounced "Meyer"). Anyhow, they have an aisle of stocking stuffers...including Snoopy in a WWI plane with his goggles. And you know those big inflatable things of Frosty, the Grinch, etc. people put in their yards? Well, there's also one of Snoopy on his doghouse as the WWI Flying Ace. The house has Christmas lights on it and (maybe) bullet holes too, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look again.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I guess I don't mind that so much as when people forget to shut the lights off when they go to bed at night.

A couple of years ago, I worked the graveyard shift. On the drive home, (it was about 3:30AM), the city was deserted. I noticed that someone had forgotten to shut off their lights. It wouldn't have been that bad if it was just a string or two, but whoever it was had a whole Griswold/Wizards in Winter thing set up. It was just weird seeing this huge display blinking to nobody. (I wonder what his neighbors thought). :eek:
There's someone on our block with a display like that. Visible from space.