Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Okay I just saw this movie yesterday after much anticipation and I absolutely loved it!!!! :excited: I am very curious to hear what other people thought of it though since it was so incredibly different than the first one. Jonny Depp made Willy Wonka into a very weird character such a contrast to any other character in any movie which is what I loved about it. I thought he pulled it off wonderfully. He was an awesome and incredibly entertaining Willy Wonka. Honestly to me he made the movie. With out him the movie would not the same. I also really liked the Oompa Lompas. The songs they sang were so fun. I just thought it was really cool that Tim Burton didn't just make a copy of the first Willy Wonka. I mean honestly they hardly even seem like the same story. And don't get me wrong I also love the first movie but this one is just even more awesome. What do y'all think?

BEAR

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was visually beautiful and performances were great, notably the humor of Johnny Depp. The ending was creepy with all the other parents and their kids walking out of the factory. Violet all contorted and Mike Teevee all stretched out. Chilling but cool. I adored David Kelly as Grandpa Joe. I liked that there was more depth in the character. He provided a lot of exposition with stories of when he used to work in the factory. The other grandparents were GREAT, and I am glad that they were more involved than they were in the first movie. Charlie was real and wonderful to watch and feel for.
The one thing I would say is lacking is the heart. I wanted to see the relationship between Wonka and Charlie. Remember the first film? Remember how wonderful that was? In that movie, Wonka was a real person and we saw the gentleness in his character. I felt like the new Wonka was just goofy and weird the whole time instead of revealing the humanity and gentleness inside. I didn't feel bad at all for Wonka when Charlie turned down the offer to inherit the factory, and I am sure I was supposed to.
I won't say which movie I like better overall because they are still two different films.

P

Princeton

Long Live Wilder's Wonka!

They should have just left it alone. Johnny Depp brought absolutely NOTHING to that role. And I agree with BEAR; no heart whatsoever. How can you tamper with such a magical, heart-warming ending as could only have been delivered by Gene Wilder?(I dare you to get through reading this with a dry eye):

"But Charlie, you know what happened to the man who got exactly what he wanted, don't you?... He lived happily ever after."

I am literally choking back tears after typing that. Re-making such a classic as WWATCF is like doing a re-make of Gone With The Wind and casting Whoopi Goldberg as Mammy.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Tim Burton should seriously consider hanging his head in shame.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It was alright. I like the original a little better, as I found Wonka in this one a bit off-putting. I didn't like his whole back-story, and how he was really two-faced to Charlie. And the other one was a little more psychadelic. the Oompa Loompas were weird, as it's just the same guy. But the one song when Veruca dissapeared was awesome.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I was disappointed in it. I thought it may have been Johnny Depp's worst performance. He seemed to really struggle with the role and it seemed very forced. I also didn't like the fact that they made Willy Wonka kinda of weird in a creepy sort of way. I agree with BEAR, just no heart. He really seemed to disdain ALL children and only tolerated Charlie.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I absolutely loved it, and I just rewatched the original today and loved it all over again. To me, they are two very different takes on the same source--companion pieces. The kid in me really loves the original, but I was absolutely delighted with the creepiness and slightly twisted new film. I can't wait to see it again. I thought Johnny Depp was fantastic!

BEAR

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I absolutely loved it, and I just rewatched the original today and loved it all over again. To me, they are two very different takes on the same source--companion pieces. The kid in me really loves the original, but I was absolutely delighted with the creepiness and slightly twisted new film. I can't wait to see it again. I thought Johnny Depp was fantastic!
I agree with you in that I enjoyed the different twisted creepiness of the new one as well. It was different, but it still needed some kind of warmth from Wonka. That is what makes Charlie love him and want to live with him in the factory. They had no chemistry. That is all I wanted. I wanted to see Depp's heart.

unclematt

Reaction score
I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was incredible. For anybody tat thought Johnny Depp strugled as Wonka I think they need to rewatch the movie because I felt as though he just slipped into the role and mastere it. Maybe part of the problem is that people were looking for Gene Wilder's Wonka. Two different movies, two different Wonkas.

luvtosr

Reaction score
MuppetsRule said:
He really seemed to disdain ALL children and only tolerated Charlie.
That's sort of how he is in the book though and this was meant to be a film of the book, not a remake of the other film. Still waiting for the release over here.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I saw the movie yesterday, and it was horrible, horrible, horrible.

I wanted somebody, anybody, to plant some tnt onto Johnny Depp and let him die. His Wonka was so annoying and so weird. i couldn't stand the character. I also felt the movie is just liek the one with Gene Wilder. Everything was pretty much the same.

I have no idea why Tim Burton decided to do this movie, but I wish he didn't. It was just an awful movie.

This movie, for those who have not seen it yet, is best as a dvd rental when it comes out. Save your money and your time.

Overall, I'd give the movie 1 1/2 out of 4 stars.

ryan