Character Help

Drtooth

Reaction score
1) Who is Guntag Gelman Jones? I have seen his picture in the Sesaem Street Unpaved book, and I can only tell he had a flea circus and performed in front of the customers of the Furry Arms hotel. Who is he, and who was his performer.

2) What's the difference between Bad Bart and Sinnister Sam? I have a picture of Bart (from SSU book) but that's all I know...

And lastly, who is this character who looks like Harvey Kneeslapper, but has Brown hair and regular eyes? He was talking about squares and were to find them in back of the brick wall (used in so many sketches)? I have seen him on Plaza Sesamo, but that's it...

Splurge

Reaction score
Well, here goes nothing. I think these are correct:

Originally posted by Drtooth
1) Who is Guntag Gelman Jones? I have seen his picture in the Sesaem Street Unpaved book, and I can only tell he had a flea circus and performed in front of the customers of the Furry Arms hotel. Who is he, and who was his performer.
Seems like you described him pretty well. He was performed by Jerry Nelson in sort of a German-like voice (or was it Russian-like?) at years ago when CTW's website used to play Sesame clip, there was one with him. (It isn't there now, sorry.)

2) What's the difference between Bad Bart and Sinnister Sam? I have a picture of Bart (from SSU book) but that's all I know...
Bad Bart usually was dressed in white and had a large mustache.
Sinnister Sam was dressed in black with a large mustache and beard. That's how they differed. They were the same in that they were both played by Jim Henson and were "misunderstood" characters. Well, that's my take on it.

And lastly, who is this character who looks like Harvey Kneeslapper, but has Brown hair and regular eyes? He was talking about squares and were to find them in back of the brick wall (used in so many sketches)? I have seen him on Plaza Sesamo, but that's it...

If this is the same Plaza Sesamo skit I've seen, was this someone urging viewers to find squares in pictures he held up and then Cookie Monster shows up and eats one? If so, I'm guessing that's probably just an Anything Muppet.

If this isn't the scene then disregard the third answer.

ssetta

Reaction score
I'm surprised Guntag Gelman Jones even got into that book. He was only ever used in that one episode.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, let's settle something for everyone's benefit including my own.
Was the cowboy character wearing white and with a large mustache named Bad Bart or Black Bart? There's only one sketch stuck in my mind with that character and I'd like to get a confirmation on his name. He appeared in the Monsterpiece Theater presententation of High Noon 12 O'Clock and appeared in a sketch where he wanted to surprise a female green AM sheriff character with her surprise birthday cake. Hope this helps and we can clear up the confusion.

ssetta

Reaction score
His name was Bad Bart. He also appeared in a sketch where everyone was scared and waiting for him to come "when the cow moos 4 times." He wanted to see the bar tender to pay him back.

Splurge

Reaction score
Ah, I liked the Bad Bart and the female Marshall Surprise Birthday cake bit. Unless I miss my guess, the Marshall was voiced by Marilyn Sokol and the entire dialogue was prerecorded.