Character Debuts

BEAR

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread to discuss character's debut episodes or introduction episodes. When did the characters first appear and what was the sketch/premise? How were they introduced? This is for Muppet characters and human cast members.

I will start by asking...
Do you remember the first appearances by Zoe, Rosita or Baby Bear? Tell me about how they debuted. Thanks.

BEAR

Reaction score
Also....we might as well discuss the departure or disappearance of characters as well, more notably humans. What ever happened to Ruth Buzzi and the character of Celina? Didn't Gina leave the show for a while and come back? Maybe I am dreaming that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems I recall Zoe's debut. I may be wrong, but I think I remember there was a scene in it where she, Big Bird, and Elmo were in the park, and she and Elmo were argueing about something. I do remember Lulu's debut episode though. Like Elmo before her, she had made little appearances in various skits, but her first street episode involved her with a monster daycare group, visiting Hooper's Store. She introduced herself to Alan, by pointing out her nametag, and shaking Alan's hand like crazy. It seems like I remember Ruthi's last appearance as Ruthi in Elmo in Grouchland. She did make a guest appearance in season 32 as some sort of plant fairy, who granted Stinky's wish to be big. I forgot what happened to Celina, but I miss her. I thought she was kinda cute.

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
It seems I recall Zoe's debut. I may be wrong, but I think I remember there was a scene in it where she, Big Bird, and Elmo were in the park, and she and Elmo were argueing about something. I do remember Lulu's debut episode though. Like Elmo before her, she had made little appearances in various skits, but her first street episode involved her with a monster daycare group, visiting Hooper's Store. She introduced herself to Alan, by pointing out her nametag, and shaking Alan's hand like crazy. It seems like I remember Ruthi's last appearance as Ruthi in Elmo in Grouchland. She did make a guest appearance in season 32 as some sort of plant fairy, who granted Stinky's wish to be big. I forgot what happened to Celina, but I miss her. I thought she was kinda cute.
Yeah, I know Ruth Buzzi has done many voice overs for the cartoon segments as well. They never had an episode that explains why the characters left though? Would have been nice.
Also, did Zoe ever introduce herself to anyone or did they just show her as already being friends with Elmo?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Do you remember the first appearances by Zoe, Rosita or Baby Bear? Tell me about how they debuted. Thanks.
I remember Baby Bears first appearance. When he first appeared, he was at the street sign (I think he even climbed it) saying that he was going to Sesame Street to hide from Goldilocks, but Goldilocks just happened to be on the street, showing up everywhere that baby bear went (similar to how Grover seems to be everywhere that fat Blue is). at one point, baby bear went to hoopers store for soem food (probably porridge), and Goldilocks showed up, working as a constructon worker and making too much noise for baby bear to eat. She also appeared in Oscars trash can in one scene (and oscar got mad at her). I forget how the episode ended.

When I first saw this episode, I thought that baby bear and Goldilocks were only going to be in that one episode, so I was surprised to see them again a few years later. I think they were both meant to appear in only one episode but ended up being regulars.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I remember Baby Bears first appearance. When he first appeared, he was at the street sign (I think he even climbed it) saying that he was going to Sesame Street to hide from Goldilocks, but Goldilocks just happened to be on the street, showing up everywhere that baby bear went (similar to how Grover seems to be everywhere that fat Blue is). at one point, baby bear went to hoopers store for soem food (probably porridge), and Goldilocks showed up, working as a constructon worker and making too much noise for baby bear to eat. She also appeared in Oscars trash can in one scene (and oscar got mad at her). I forget how the episode ended.

When I first saw this episode, I thought that baby bear and Goldilocks were only going to be in that one episode, so I was surprised to see them again a few years later. I think they were both meant to appear in only one episode but ended up being regulars.
Well, Baby Bear became a regular. Also, it is interesting how Baby Bear, a fairy tale character, has become a regular character on the street. His character has really developed, with his family and his new baby sister arriving.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah, I know Ruth Buzzi has done many voice overs for the cartoon segments as well. They never had an episode that explains why the characters left though? Would have been nice.
Also, did Zoe ever introduce herself to anyone or did they just show her as already being friends with Elmo?
Yeah, mostly those "Suzy Kabloozy" shorts, created by Mo Willems (later created Sheep in the Big City). As for Zoe, I'm not sure if the episode I mentioned is her first appearance or not, but I do know it's an early Zoe episode because it was dated 1993 (her first year). According to the book Sesame Street Unpaved, in 1982, then executive producer Michael Loman wanted a strong female monster character for the street. After going through many sketches and designs, Fran Brill went for the sketch that had a "Carol Channing" face on it, because she wanted the character to look femenine (with the barettes, and jewelry on her.) So, that became the design for the female monster. Fran came up with the name "Zoe", which she got from the book "Franny and Zooey". Zoe was made orange with a red mouth because they wanted her to visualy compliment Elmo with his red fur and orange nose.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Dimly remember Maria's days as a new arrival from Puerto Rico, but can't recall whether I saw the actual debut.

Only debut I can recall was cracking up over Telly's "Today, we're going to meet the famous writer Flo Bear..."

Xerus

Reaction score
Yes, I miss Ruthie too. Ruth Buzzi is one of my all time favorite actresses. I also noticed when Ruthie and Celina left, the all new Around the Corner section disappeared too, along with The Furry Arms Hotel. I thought that Around the Corner thing was cool. I don't know why they got rid of it. It seemed to have been replaced with Elmo's World.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I don't remember any specific character's debut, but wasn't Big Bird the first character ever seen on Sesame Street?