Challenges, Triumphs and Pixie Dust!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sorry, guys, I know this thread is supposed to be about triumphs. I'm not really feeling that as you can see.

My birthday's coming up soon too, as if I needed more reminders of the future. And that a**hole knew it.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sorry, guys, I know this thread is supposed to be about triumphs. I'm not really feeling that as you can see.

My birthday's coming up soon too, as if I needed more reminders of the future. And that a**hole knew it.
Well since it's your birthday coming up I will pop out of a cake for you!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well that's the kind of thing I still wrestle with. I hear people talk about "making peace" with the idea that you might always be single. I feel like they're not being honest, especially for women. I can't see myself making peace with becoming the 50 year old cat lady (except with a dog) survived by no one when I die (sorry to get morbid). I have no siblings, so my obit's pretty much going to read, "Survived by relatives she didn't get to see much." There's no dignity in that. I saw an obit like that recently and it terrified me, it just looked so pathetic. Our society is built on achieving certain goals and there's no reward for failure (again, especially for women). Yeah, feminists try to tear down those societal norms, but that doesn't make me feel any better. In a way, that's like being a sore loser, "Oh if I can't be married, let's make marriage unimportant for everyone!" I personally enjoyed having a guy around to tell me I was attractive. Now I feel like it probably didn't count since he's such a weirdo. Again, people tell me I don't need a guy to tell me that, I can tell myself I'm attractive. But what the heck is the point of that? Again, let's be honest, that isn't what anyone hopes for. They hope to share themselves with another person. And there's just no way to make that better if it doesn't happen. At least not for me. I see all the mean girls from my childhood on Facebook with their husbands and/or children. They don't even remotely deserve to be happy, yet they got it. And yes, I get that they have problems themselves, but they still have a comfort I may never have. And their problems don't make my problems any less real.

::sigh:: I'm sorry. I was feeling better yesterday, but now it's all crashing in again. I mean, people are telling me I just need to work harder at it (the same way I had to go through a lot of lousy jobs to finally find a good one), but I'm just so nervous that none of it is going to matter.
Facebook can be like a fun house mirror. Very distorted image. A lot of people love posting how perfect their life is. Dream house, dream job, perfect spouse, perfect kids who never cause any trouble, everything is wine and roses.
It's hardly ever like that. Some people are just better than others at putting up a good front.
I've been married 17 years, love my wife to death, but we still have spats over stupid stuff.
Don't compare yourself or measure your self worth by artificial standards of others. You have enough confidence to go out on stage. Not everybody can do that.
And don't resign yourself to the idea you'll never meet "the right one". He might come along when you least expect it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I've learned how to make myself happy and surround myself with good friends. Anything beyond that is out of my control. When I'm miserable, I tend to keep to myself or hang with a friend who'll help snap me out of it. Just like bees can smell fear, misery loves company and attracts the wrong kinds of people. I always hated that scene in Jerry McGuire when he tells her that she completes him. Um...if you're not a complete darn person, stay the heck away from me!!! :stick_out_tongue:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
And@CensoredAlso, don't worry about getting older. I'll be turning 50 in a few short hours and still don't feel like I'm over 18. My midlife crisis had a whole decade to show up and never did. I've been roaming this planet longer than just about anyone else, ten presidents, and still do not feel old.
Age is just a number, and the same standards should apply to women.
If you feel old at 25, you'll never make it to my age.
I think you'll do fine. You have a lot going for you.