C'est Les Muppets Showue!

beaker

Reaction score
MWoO said:
The muppets are diffrerent than puppets. They have had consistant performers for a long time. When Gonzo was on UK tv they didn't just send the puppet over. They sent Gonzo. Dave is Gonzo, until he decides to hand the hcaracter over to someone else. There was no handing over with this. Disney decided to hand over the characters for them.

Frankl;y i don't see why the show oculdn't be done for the UK audience and then dubbed for the french. You'll get a lot more of an audience with an English show you can syndicate than a french show that has to be dubbed. There are just more English speaking countries.
HERE HERE! By all means create a UK Muppet show using the original characters...IF they are to be performed by their principle Muppeteer. OTHERWISE they need to create new characters.

Whats so difficult about coming up with a whole new cast...sure they can use penguins or obscure background characters here and there, but this SHOULD be newly made original puppets. I'd be FULLY supportive of that. The core Muppets are not some cartoon characters that can be randomly used in whatever.

And why France? Didnt the youth of that country recently burn down and riot major portions of the country? The Muppets are known as unifiers of deep cultural divide(like the joint Kuwaiti, Egyptian, Israeli Palestinian, Jordanian, Bosnian productions) but Disney cant even keep the core Muppets together.
With Disney's total control, I can just imagine the monstrosity of this endeavor.

Vic Romano said:
2. Assuming this is a good idea, for the longest time I was a defender of Disney stating that if the Muppets weren't like they used to be, then that's the Muppets problem, not Disneys. However, after reading this article, Disney's presence around the set comes off more like the mafia then protectors of cherished characters. Understanding they don't want a shoddy product like the rest of us, this director makes Disney sound possesive with dollar signs flashing in their eyes.
Look how Disney handled the "Path To 9/11" fiasco...of course they are totally controlled by the bottom line, and are great controllers.

heralde said:
I don't mind the idea too much. I mean, we tend to get everything in the U.S., it's a bit unbalanced. If they want to try it in France, that's fine. We'll see how it goes.
Because without the principle Muppeteers its not the muppets. Thats why I consider international Sesame Muppet canon, since they are using originally created puppets.

Blinky_Fish said:
Anyone know how the Muppeteers feel about other hands on they're character's?
good question...how do they feel that their characters have pretty much been killed off by the mouse?

Frogster said:
I guess the Muppets aren't much, anymore... that's sad, but we still have the past to enjoy.

(100 left!)
Yes, lets just give up and be happy with the past:rolleyes:

Drtooth said:
I would agree, but I don't see how that's too much different from them making different co-productions of Sesame Street. Besides, if they're trianed Puppeteers, they could theoretically be good. It's just that... well... it would be great to make them use the original Muppeteers trying to speak parrot French, like (as I've said before) Monty Python's unsellable 1970 German Language episode.
The difference is they created ORIGINAL Muppets for International Sesame Street. I refuse to acknowlege this as Muppet canon...its pretty much like if I broke into their wherehouse, and my friends and I made short films of the real puppets. Yeah, ok...technically they are the actual puppets, but its all hollow.

beaker

Reaction score
Marky said:
The existence of Sam the Eagle says it all. It had spent years lampooning American culture while celebrating British culture. Henson saw himself not as much as an American citizen than a citizen of Planet Earth. This obviously allowed more open mind and a more intelligent, universal imagination which the rest of the world appreciates.
Oh I agree... the Muppets are ALL about bridging cultural divide, promoting peace, tolerence, laughter, love and friendship in this crazy world. they are also about parody...and I don't mean to be ethnocentric.

But come on, ever since the Henson family pretty much eythenized and aborted the Muppets to Disney, Disney has done NOTHING with them...and then this, THIS is the new Muppet show weve waited eons for? And its going to be made for a small niche audience...THAT is not what the Muppets were about. They were about universal appeal.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Steve Whitmire said he (and others) was "with us guys" in support of the One Muppet One Voice type campaign.

Marky

Reaction score
beaker said:
Oh I agree... the Muppets are ALL about bridging cultural divide, promoting peace, tolerence, laughter, love and friendship in this crazy world. they are also about parody...and I don't mean to be ethnocentric.

But come on, ever since the Henson family pretty much eythenized and aborted the Muppets to Disney, Disney has done NOTHING with them...and then this, THIS is the new Muppet show weve waited eons for? And its going to be made for a small niche audience...THAT is not what the Muppets were about. They were about universal appeal.
I see your point, and for that I agree. Fortunately I can understand French fairly well (being Canadian). But I do agree with everything you've typed there!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Cauet has made a few changes to the original format. The Gallic show's action has shifted from the original's old- fashioned theater setting to a modern TV studio. There will be fewer singing and dancing numbers and more parodies of French and American TV.

"We've tried to modernize the show," says Cauet. "But you have to be careful because you are playing with people's memories. We hope the new show will appeal to fans of the original, and that a new generation will also want to get to know the Muppets."
ok 2 things...this could either turn out to be realy great like the jim henson hour or like utter bull dung like muppets tonight...depends on the writter though in my opinion.
and thing 2 why does this guy care so much if old fans like it or not I have a fealing allot of people are worrying over nothing and perhaps just perhaps this show could be done in english also i mean the major part of the muppet fandom speaks nothing but english it being an english/american show.
I don't see why it wouldnt ever come out that way in some shape or form.
I say more power to them for doing something interesting and new and I am sending allot of positive energy their way and I hope the show goes well!
I know I'll be looking forward to it!:big_grin:

Marky

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
ok 2 things...this could either turn out to be realy great like the jim henson hour or like utter bull dung like muppets tonight...depends on the writter though in my opinion.
and thing 2 why does this guy care so much if old fans like it or not I have a fealing allot of people are worrying over nothing and perhaps just perhaps this show could be done in english also i mean the major part of the muppet fandom speaks nothing but english it being an english/american show.
I don't see why it wouldnt ever come out that way in some shape or form.
I say more power to them for doing something interesting and new and I am sending allot of positive energy their way and I hope the show goes well!
I know I'll be looking forward to it!:big_grin:
Moi, aussi, bien sur!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Marky said:
Moi, aussi, bien sur!
des mercis de haha je suis heureux des environ garde la foi sans compter que me. Je souhait immobile qu'ils feraient une nouvelle fonte entière bien que des thats quel henson de jim aurait fait. :big_grin: :zany:

Marky

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
des mercis de haha je suis heureux des environ garde la foi sans compter que me. Je souhait immobile qu'ils feraient une nouvelle fonte entière bien que des thats quel henson de jim aurait fait. :big_grin: :zany:
Je pense qu'il aurait ri des mauvaises traductions des plaisanteries!

:crazy:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Ou Alta Vista est une plaisanterie, ou vous des types n'avez aucune idée de ce que vous parlez! LOL!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Marky said:
Je pense qu'il aurait ri des mauvaises traductions des plaisanteries!
:crazy:
hahah if it's half as bad as my translation then it would have me crying and my sides hurting hahahahah
KermieBaby47 said:
Ou Alta Vista est une plaisanterie, ou vous des types n'avez aucune idée de ce que vous parlez! LOL!
it very well could be!