1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

C'est Les Muppets Showue!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

2. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

None of the french puppeteers are Muppeteers, there for (in my opinion) this is not now or ever will be a Muppet show.

Perhaps I can throw escargot at Disney and MHC in protest for continuing to hurt the Muppets.
  3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Sounds cool!
  4. MuppetMarc

MuppetMarc New Member

What ticks me off is Disney is just doing this to get a European market! Remember EuroDisnyland?
  5. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Mmmm, Muppets on a French roll!!! Will they serve Mayonnaise on that too??
    Oh la la. Well at least it will create Muppet awareness, so even though it is using foreign puppeteers, I beleive it will create jobs for the American puppeteers in the long run, so I think it is a positive thing.Thanks for the link, Fozzie.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So pretty much, Disney is letting them use Muppet puppet replicas and make their own little show. How cute.

Too bad no serious Muppet fan would consider this canon or even the real Muppets or a real Muppet production.

They should create new original puppets, period.

Sadly, Disney has relegated the "muppets" as nothing more than empty puppets to be handed out to whomever(cruiselines and this france show are just the beginning) the point where we wont even know when something is a REAL Muppet production, since it'll be so cheapened and watered down...meanwhile there seems to be ZERO real Muppet productions in the works.

Anyways, just seems strange they are going to all this work for the small niche France audience, but not make this universal...the MAGIC of the Muppets appeals on a universal level.
  7. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Well, I don't think there is any muppet canon. I mean, it's not like you can make a realistic timeline out of any of the productions.

This is another sign that the muppets are being used the same as cartoon charatcers. It's not the same. You can't just hand puppets over to a bunch of people and have a muppet show. That's not how it works. The characters are more than the puppets.
  8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I concur. Thats why they should have just made original muppets for this venture. France, like Germany just HAS to dub everything which is lame.

Btw, has there ever been a Muppet fan from France on here? Just curious.
    They were the first to get the Fraggle dvds, again...dubbed in French.

I myself love hearing the original language of which say, a Sesame show originates. Theres a powerful new documentary on world sesame street coming to dvd soon.
  9. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I guess the Muppets aren't much, anymore... that's sad, but we still have the past to enjoy.

(100 left!)
  10. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

What the sad part is, is that it's all business. Where's the art?
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I would agree, but I don't see how that's too much different from them making different co-productions of Sesame Street. Besides, if they're trianed Puppeteers, they could theoretically be good. It's just that... well... it would be great to make them use the original Muppeteers trying to speak parrot French, like (as I've said before) Monty Python's unsellable 1970 German Language episode.

>>Sadly, Disney has relegated the "muppets" as nothing more than empty puppets to be handed out to whomever(cruiselines and this france show are just the beginning) the point where we wont even know when something is a REAL Muppet production, since it'll be so cheapened and watered down...meanwhile there seems to be ZERO real Muppet productions in the works.

Anyways, just seems strange they are going to all this work for the small niche France audience, but not make this universal...the MAGIC of the Muppets appeals on a universal level.<<

I'm more upset that this is a French TV thing. Basically the only thing we can look forward to are probable DVD releases of old stuff and crap like stage shows an not aired on American TV crap like that. It's still not as bad as the McDonalds ad in which Kermit was made out of a hollowed out doll. Remember how they had to do that because they weren;t going to send the puppet over to amatures, but they couldn't fly Steve out too?
    (BTW, if anyone has that ad and the UK ad with Steve as the REAL Kermit, please put it on Youtube)
  12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I wish Diz/MHC would let me play with their Muppets, too!! I mean, so we could get somethign going here in the States!

WE need a new show.
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You said it Fozzie!
  14. Cherrymoon

Cherrymoon New Member

I am not sure how bad this might be. It might be quite good. The french don't make that bad shows. There just so french. The problem is one does not know how they translated the original series. Jokes don't always translate so you have to change them to fit the culture. The basis I read seem to be the right idea.
  15. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

It kinda makes sense... French... Frogs... Kermit is a frog - No communication issues at all! although Kemie really is Cajun-esque being from Mississsipi - like speaking the Queens English as opposed to Brooklyn English... Might do well. Maybe it will keep those Frogs out of World politics if they have real entertainment. ;)

What are the odds it will translate to us?

Anyone know how the Muppeteers feel about other hands on they're character's?
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't mind the idea too much. I mean, we tend to get everything in the U.S., it's a bit unbalanced. If they want to try it in France, that's fine. We'll see how it goes.

"We've tried to modernize the show," says Cauet. "But you have to be careful because you are playing with people's memories."

Amen! Someone realizes that!
  17. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Whether it will be good or bad is still up in the air, that's not my issue here, I have several:
    1. Why the **** does France get a brand new original show? beaker made a good point about not ever remembering seeing any French members here on the boards. I'm willing to admit that the Muppets seem to be notably more popular in the UK then here in the States, but if we're talking original characters here, well; these aren't one time movie stars like Mike & Sully from "Monsters Inc." who can appear randomly in Japanese car commercials or stuff like that. Let's be reasonable here.

2. Assuming this is a good idea, for the longest time I was a defender of Disney stating that if the Muppets weren't like they used to be, then that's the Muppets problem, not Disneys. However, after reading this article, Disney's presence around the set comes off more like the mafia then protectors of cherished characters. Understanding they don't want a shoddy product like the rest of us, this director makes Disney sound possesive with dollar signs flashing in their eyes.

3. Knowing the American/French relationship (especially as of late) isn't a stellar one, I feel a little uneasy that clearly American characters will be used to make fun of American culture. That just feels like turning our own children against us. Just my opinion. :attitude:
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oddly, since Sam was created as a send up of overly patriotic censorship worshippers.

I still hate the fact we weren't considered first... or even second after the UK.
  19. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

It was asked what the difference between this and the different sesame productions is. Well the difference is that the seame productions for the most part use original characters and dub over other bits. I think Elmo isu sed in a few different shows and I believe China or Japan has their own Big Bird, but other than that they are mostly new productions. This is different. From the sound of it they are just using all the muppet show characters to make new shows, which is not the same as having a French version of the muppets show with it's own characters and maybe one or two carry overs. Not to mention most of us here won't be able to see the show, and even if we do most won't understand it. And that isj ust wrong.

The muppets are diffrerent than puppets. They have had consistant performers for a long time. When Gonzo was on UK tv they didn't just send the puppet over. They sent Gonzo. Dave is Gonzo, until he decides to hand the hcaracter over to someone else. There was no handing over with this. Disney decided to hand over the characters for them.

Frankl;y i don't see why the show oculdn't be done for the UK audience and then dubbed for the french. You'll get a lot more of an audience with an English show you can syndicate than a french show that has to be dubbed. There are just more English speaking countries.
  20. Marky

Marky Member

Perhaps you should look into the roots of the Muppet humor (particularily its strong British ones).

The existence of Sam the Eagle says it all. It had spent years lampooning American culture while celebrating British culture. Henson saw himself not as much as an American citizen than a citizen of Planet Earth. This obviously allowed more open mind and a more intelligent, universal imagination which the rest of the world appreciates.