Celebrate the Holidays with Abby!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I thought purple was the new pink marketed to girls.

I don't see why Zoe isn't getting the push Abby has gotten.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I wish Grover got this sort of stuff...:smirk:(quote: Dr.tooth)

Me Too!
Yeah I was going to reply to that too. I mean, if they focused on more characters on the show, wouldn't there be more opportunity for merchandising?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree, Grover was my favorite when I was little :frown:. If only the marketing wasn't only aimed at the newest characters. Of course they should get things made of them to but it is not like everyone else moved away from SS to make room for them...
Zoe never had much of a push that I can see..it's sort of sad that she is more of a shadow of Elmo now...

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score

I Think it's just Abby appeals to the Little girls of today; and (being a fairy) has a sort of role play appeal to her.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I agree, Grover was my favorite when I was little :frown:. If only the marketing wasn't only aimed at the newest characters. Of course they should get things made of them to but it is not like everyone else moved away from SS to make room for them...
Zoe never had much of a push that I can see..it's sort of sad that she is more of a shadow of Elmo now...
At the time though; she was the tomboy that went against the "Pretty in pink" Ideal, Which was revolutionary in terms of childrens characters.

Redsonga

Reaction score
At the time though; she was the tomboy that went against the "Pretty in pink" Ideal, Which was revolutionary in terms of childrens characters.
I know, but that just makes me wish she was pushed as much as Abby is being now, of course in a perfect world everyone would get equal marketing :smile:. As far as being my favorite in terms of tomboy-ish that would be Ruby, but she seemed to go away as soon as she was made :frown:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish Grover got this sort of stuff...:smirk:(quote: Dr.tooth)

Me Too!

Well, they were kind of starting that. Especially around the 35th anniversary. Remember, Grover got a balloon and a Macy's plush... and Super Grover was the only Palisades SS figure to go totally produced, and he was the promotional start up figure (they even had an Alex Ross lithograph). It all seemed to co-incide with the creation of Global Grover. As of now, I do still see some more Grover stuff, but not nearly as much as the old days.

I seem to recall her having some sort of push in the 90's when she first came out. And she was pretty much the most licensed gal monster on Sesame until Abby came in. (Poor Rosita... it's like she doesn't exist). But I don't see half the bigger ticket items that Abby has... but I still haven't seen any Abby PVC's (and there was a new PVC line last year... It was basically Elmo, Zoe, Bert, Ernie, Big Bird and Cookie Monster).

You forgot Ruby to be picky
I think a LOT of people forgot about Ruby... which makes my point.:shifty: Girl characters, as well as ethnic characters of both genders are notoriously hard to fit into a show, because you'll always offend some group one way or another. Look at the problems Disney is having with The Princess and the Frog. At one point she was too African American, and it bordered on a Stereotype, now they've changed it to satiate those critics, while new critics said she isn't African American enough.

With girl characters, you'll always take slack for making a character feminine, but not all girls are going to relate to a tomboy. Much in the way that some boys don't identify with G.I. Joe, and pick someone softer. I can recall a series of Dilbert strips where they had a stereotyped woman called Anita, and Scott Adams got so many complaints he made a character that was the exact opposite of every female stereotype. Then they accused him of making fun of lesbians.

Case in point, you just can't please everybody.

Though, I still think this is more an issue of one character focused over others... Elmo's still the top dog when it comes to that, though Abby has come a distant second.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I know, but that just makes me wish she was pushed as much as Abby is being now, of course in a perfect world everyone would get equal marketing :smile:. As far as being my favorite in terms of tomboy-ish that would be Ruby, but she seemed to go away as soon as she was made :frown:.
I Like Ruby; but the first thing I thought when I saw her was "Woah; Hair like this! http://bighairrules.com/_images/poison/poison_pic8.jpg"

Yes we all wish for an equal world; but that Political Stance generally does not work.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah! I think there need to be a balance of female personality. Mayby one is more girl-ish than the other but not completely. Mayby one is more natural than another, but is has a feminine side to her. I know those aren't the only examples but just saying.