Cartoons Nowadays Aren't as Good as They Used To Be

Rugrats1

Reaction score
Cartoons nowadays suck (except for SU SVTFOE and AT) with their lol random humor and gross out jokes which for the most part are unfunny and just rely on the randomness with no cohesion with shows like Sanjay and Craig Pickle and Peanut Breadwinners Uncle Grandpa and so much more, there's rarely any action shows nowadays everything's a comedy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

An opinion I find to be absolute self righteous nostalgia hoarding poppycock.

I'm not going into the rant about how every lousy generation thinks their cartoons were better because they grew out of watching anything new, especially ones that support the worst cartoons of all time (Jabberjaw, Maxie's World, etc). Just...every freaking generation of cartoons has some crap in it.

Does anyone actually unironically like Street Sharks? And I can't believe anyone has a fondness for Rocket Power, that cynically produced garbage that just slapped extreme sports on the same slice of life/lesson learning show that otherwise offered nothing that several superior cartoons at the time didn't do better. You can cherry pick the worst cartoons out of a generation as easily as you can cherry pick the good ones. Yeah, the 80's had Transformers and He-man and G.I. Joe. But they also had a bunch of terrible Smurf ripoffs enforced by the networks. Anyone remember Little Clowns of Happytown? No? Because it sucked. Biskettes sucked. 90's? Yeah, Animaniacs and all that stuff. And a bunch of terrible TMNT ripoffs. Not to mention the Sunday Morning borefest of horrid DIC cartoons like "The Hurricanes." Today? yeah, Breadwinners doesn't have many fans, but it's not like Nick actually gave a crap about the show, dumping the rest of the series on Nicktoons. I'm actually more happy they finally got the hint and stopped airing that GAWDawful Wild Grinders series.

That said, Yeah...Uncle Grandpa is an acquired taste, but so wasn't Cow and Chicken. I remember everyone whining about that one, too. Sanjay and Craig gets crap for everything because we all want to agree with Mr. Ender for trashing the show on "Fart baby" and not bothering to see the actually good second season. Oh, and it ended, so it'll never bother you again.

I say this a lot, but I've studied the crap out of animation. I can't say I've watched everything, but I sure as heck latched onto whatever I can get a hold of. And frankly, there's a difference between matter of taste and what really makes something terrible. And I've seen terrible. I've seen the hilariously bad Clutch Cargo. I've seen forgettable syndicated 90's cartoons that I can't even place now. I've even sat down to 2 episodes of Allen Gregory, hoping the second episode would get better. No. it did not. And yeah, I out and out refuse to watch Brickleberry.

mr3urious

Reaction score
20 years from now, there are going to be kids saying the exact same thing about the shows they saw growing up. It's a never-ending cycle.

And I don't think there's an over-saturation of "random" or "gross" cartoons and a lack of action-oriented stuff like Rugrats1 is making it out to be. If anything, there's far too many preschool shows, though more of them are moving away from trying to be non-interactive computer programs and focusing on being cartoons, especially Disney's stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I don't think there's an over-saturation of "random" or "gross" cartoons and a lack of action-oriented stuff like Rugrats1 is making it out to be. If anything, there's far too many preschool shows, though more of them are moving away from trying to be non-interactive computer programs and focusing on being cartoons, especially Disney's stuff.
I do agree there's a lack of action cartoons. Though I don't see why everyone hates the Marvel cartoons so much. Sure, Ultimate Spider-Man is a let down after Spectacular, but I remember 90's Spider-Man cartoon fans whining about the show before it even premiered and whined louder when the the show ended. Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. was fun, and better than it had to be. Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty good too. I'll agree they aren't my favorite Marvel shows (cept for Guardians), but they're hardly as bad as everyone says they are.

And there's always TMNT. Nick's series has been a pleasant surprise for me, making me completely forget about the 2k3 series.

I also agree there's too darn many preschool shows, though Disney's at least been making some good ones.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Dose anyone think we need better cartoon shows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, I like the irony of this thread being started by the same member that keeps shoving that terrible Nicktoon video fan fiction down our throats.

Rugrats1

Reaction score

This video gives a better explanation on why cartoons suck nowadays