Cartoon Network loses its 8pm hour, with more Adult Swim

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm mixed. On the one hand, the new CN originals need that 7-9 PM slot to really thrive. Then again, they rerun those shows every weeknight (apparently...again, no cable). But then adding an hour of Adult Swim would be amazing if it wasn't just more episodes of KOTH. Now, I like KOTH, but it has no business being on AS. FX in the afternoon, yes. TBS, of course, local syndication, you bet. But KOTH doesn't fit with any of the shows on the network. And if they're entering the 8 PM hour, there's little they can show other than KOTH. It would be sweet if they got some classic, unedited Simpsons reruns from the beginning, though.

On the plus side, there is good news. Rick and Morty is a ratings hit! We're likely to see more episodes of that great series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To think AS will completely take over CN and corrupt (or further corrupt) our youth is just paranoia at best.
That would be impossible. The logistics of a 24/hr adult swim channel would be maddening. They'd either have to censor the heck out of everything until midnight, or run reruns of sitcoms ironically... something stupid like that. CN itself is in no danger.

Still, losing an hour, a family hour mind you, doesn't really do either side any good. AS can't air anything racy or fun until at least 11, so we'd just have KOTH reruns... maybe Fox quality censored American Dads or Family Guys. Not to mention the fact Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe are that perfect middle transition between the kid's cartoons and adult ones, since they have both the young and older audiences. Heck, Regular Show is almost an adult swim show... only better because they have to be sneaky about the same things they blatantly allow in AS shows. That's always funnier and more clever.

Now what I would like to see is the death of the weekend movies. We don't need things that they just recently pulled from the Wal*Mart bargain bin on a cartoon channel. NO ONE liked Son of The Mask.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That would be impossible. The logistics of a 24/hr adult swim channel would be maddening. They'd either have to censor the heck out of everything until midnight, or run reruns of sitcoms ironically... something stupid like that. CN itself is in no danger.
Unless it's a premium network, that is.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Pretty sure [adult swim] is already a premium channel on some cable systems.

I like adult swim, even though I don't regularly tune in. I just hate how half of its time has been given to Fox re-runs, especially shows that are still on the air.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like adult swim, even though I don't regularly tune in. I just hate how half of its time has been given to Fox re-runs, especially shows that are still on the air.
That's what bugs me. I know Family Guy got its popularity from AS rebroadcasts over the constantly in danger of being cancelled original Fox network run. And I know FG episodes are uncensored (to an extent) on AS, making them better to watch there anyway. But American Dad is moving to TBS, so I wouldn't doubt they'd take their reruns with them (though they also run FG reruns I hear). Though I still think the real problem is how ill a fit KOTH is. It really seems that, despite a really good 10 year run, some of the KOTH fans feel the show was unjustly cancelled (though the show was showing huge signs of long running fatigue, especially with Lucky as a regular cast member). I'd say that's the only reason it's there, rather than any other network where it would fit better. I mean, it's tame enough for an afternoon spot.

If AS is expanding they really need to bring back some classic programs that are tame enough for an 8PM slot. I'm talking about Space Ghost. THAT would make everyone happy. Even and especially as reruns.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... The CN shows that air in that 7-9 PM spot really only need one hour from 7-8 PM instead. Since you've got four prime shows on Mondays that are fifteen minutes long, CN could feasibly cram them all back-to-back and get away with starting AS that much earlier.
Adventure Time: 7 PM;
Regular Show: 7:15 PM;
Steven Universe: 7:30 PM; and
Annoying Orange/Uncle Grandpa: 7:45 PM.

That way all they need is four solid half-hour shows for the rest of the week like Total Drama on Tuesdays, Teen Titans Go! (Away!) on Wednesdays, Looney Tunes Show on Thursdays, or Scooby-Doo on Fridays. Then just fill up the later half-hour with a mix of the fifteen-minute shows or a double-dip of each.

Unfortunately, I don't see them getting rid of Flix like how Boomerang got CN'ed to the point they dropped their Saturday afternoon animated movies as CN has to compete with other similarly-geared networks like The Hub for that timeslot on the weekends.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looney Tunes Show is gone. They didn't even show the last episode in this country (that I know of). Teen Titans isn't going anywhere. It's cheap to produce, they get away with only 11 minutes a week. They really should have kept action Friday Nights. At least give Beware the Batman another chance. When the heck's that supposed to return?

The one show I'd love them to do away with is Annoying Orange. But that's besides the point.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, I was just using examples. Plug in whatever other half-hour shows CN has lying about that could work in a 7-8 PM weekday evening lineup and then stick in two of their fifteen-minuters.

Beware the Bat... Why so unloved by the execs? When will it return? The world may never know.

Orange has its charm if you can get past the lead character's annoyingness. Their Halloween/Clue episode with Tim Curry as Professor Plum (an actual plum) was one of the highlights.