Carroll Spinney the most dedicated Muppeteer

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I remember watching the episode where Big Bird finds out that Mr. Blooper (Hooper! Hooper!) had passed away. I was surprised because I didn't know until that show! I can remember bawling my eyeballs out of my head when that was going on.

The only other time Sesame Street made me cry was when, in Follow That Bird, Big Bird is a 'blue bird,' and that tear rolls down his beak.

I remember when Sesame Street humans met Snuffy for the first time! I jumped up and cheered! HA HA!! I was all over the place cheering that day!

I wonder if Carroll knows how much he is loved? I mean, we all love Big Bird and Oscar, but does he even have any idea how much HE is loved as well? I also wish he were able to do more illustration work on the characters. He's a terrific artist.

Superfan: You have Frank's personality down to a "T"! That's just Frank. :embarrassed:

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
Even in the interviews on the A&E Biography special, there was a definate difference in personality bteween Carroll and Frank. Carroll was almost gleeful ,or giddy at recounting his memories with Jim and how much he enjoys playing Big Bird and Oscar. You can tell he's a truly a child at heart. With Frank, I found him almost stiff and talked in a very matter of fact sort of way. The man has accomplished some great things, granted, but I was disappointed to see that he was not near as enthusiastic or even relaxed as Carroll was. Frank was Jim's right hand man (or left, depending!)...you would think that would be by far the most exciting thing someone could talk about!!

I noticed the same thing about Oz when I watched the interview and was surprised that THAT was Frank Oz. I think that was the first time I had ever really seen him just as himself and was a little disappointed. I mean, sure it seems like he is a very private, to the point, low profile kind of man, but he could have atleast shown more interest in what he was talking about. He had some great things to say and he is a very intellegent man (he would have to be to do the work he does) but he was so serious! I mean, wasn't he pretty much Jim Henson's best friend?! Sesame Street and the Muppets is what he is most known for and he spent most of his life doing. Why would he take it so lightly? Carroll Spinney was so enjoyable to listen to. You can tell how greatful he is for being able to be Big Bird (and Oscar) for about half his life. He is humble and gracious and appreciative of Henson and CTW. He wouldn't want anything else in his life. I have much respect for him and see alot of myself in him.

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The only other time Sesame Street made me cry was when, in Follow That Bird, Big Bird is a 'blue bird,' and that tear rolls down his beak.
Oh God! To this day, every time I watch those 2 seconds of film I get goosebumps.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Caroll Spinny Seems like the most dedicated Muppeteer, But Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson have been doing this for 40+ years now even thow Caroll has been on Sesame Street sense the beggining.

superfan

Reaction score
Thank you to both Bear and Fozzie Bear for acknowledging my observations!:smile: :smile: :smile:

Ever since that special (A&E) I have had a new found respect for Carroll S. Cannot WAIT to get his book! Wonder if Frank Oz (has already) will ever put out a book along the same lines....?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've read his book about three times since I got it, and I still love it, and get excited everytime I read it! Everytime I read it, I feel like I'm there with him, like in Jim Henson's office, or the Sesame Street studio, or his apartment, I just feel like I'm there with him.
I agree that he's probably the most dedicated muppeteer. I'm sure alot of the others are really dedicated as well, but Caroll's story in print, and on Sesame Street: A Biography is very convincing, especially when he said "It's awfully nice to have a job where you do what you wanted to do when you were a child, and I think I made it. I'm a lucky man. (In Big Bird's voice) I'm a lucky bird too!"

wes

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney

I think I have read it about the same,I read his book for insprisation and ideas, I remember the first time I read it My Wife And Family got mad Because i would not put the book down It took me two days to read it. the sad part is when Carroll was helping Jim Henson on a shoot of Sesame street and Jim henson kick Erine because he was in his way :cry: My heart dropped, I couldn't believe he would treat his character like that, I geuss i had Jim on too high of a pedlstal:stick_out_tongue:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
superfan said:
Thank you to both Bear and Fozzie Bear for acknowledging my observations!:smile: :smile:

Ever since that special (A&E) I have had a new found respect for Carroll S. Cannot WAIT to get his book! Wonder if Frank Oz (has already) will ever put out a book along the same lines....?
Maybe Frank Oz could do that, given a prodding. Maybe Caroll could hook his old buddy Frank up with the folks at Villard. I'd read that book "fer sure!"

Of course, I think a biography of Richard Hunt would be really good, and have all the quotes from the people who knew him, and we can truly see the genius that was Richard Hunt. I dunno who would write that plucker, but I would also read that book.

But that's just me...I read...

BJ :eek:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
superfan said:
Thank you to both Bear and Fozzie Bear for acknowledging my observations!:smile: :smile: :smile:

I have his book and it is very good.

superfan

Reaction score
You're right....a book about Richard Hunt would have some great material!!