Caroll Spinney on Reddit AMA 5/7

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I read on the Tough Pigs forum that Caroll Spinney will be participating in a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) on May 7, 2015. Looking at the Reddit site, it'll start at 12PM (I assume Eastern time). So if you're a member, you can ask Spinney anything, and if you're not but want to ask him something, you have until then to register.

I registered so I could participate. Of course, at first I assumed I could ask something beforehand, but it looks like we can only ask during his AMA session, live. Good thing I don't have anything to do then.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it starts in a little over an hour. Hopefully I'll know what to do and be able to send my question. There's been a few times I participated in similar chats but wasn't able to get my questions sent (or at least not seen by the important ones).

I'm guessing I'll only be able to ask one question. As soon as I heard about this I had my question in mind right away, but if anybody else wants to do this but needs a question, here's some of my runner-up questions:
  • Did Caroll actually perform Sam the Robot? There have been articles that referred to him as the characters original performer, but very little video footage of the character is out there for the fans to see, and in the characters first appearance, it's clearly Jerry Nelson's voice.
  • What year/season did Bruno debut on the show?
  • Does Caroll Spinney remember any scenes from FTB or EIG that were cut or only in the original scripts?
  • Somebody at Tough Pigs has pointed out that in I Am Big Bird, it's mentioned that Copper Pot arranged for there to be some kind of event or thing for the 30th anniversary of Big Bird in China, which was in 2013 and which none of us had heard anything about. Did this happen or was it a private event?

Those are just some suggestions. The question I really want to ask isn't on this list. Actually, it would also be interesting to ask if there was one Muppet production he didn't perform on, which would it be, or if he could perform one Muppet he never performed which would it be.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it was great. I was wondering how big a number of people participating would be, since I hadn't seen much announcements at the right places (I heard about this via the Tough Pigs forum, and posted about it here, and neither thread had many replies). It was good to see a lot of people participating (and I did notice a few people from here and Tough Pigs asking questions).

I wondered if it was okay for people to ask multiple questions, and decided to wait until I saw somebody ask two questions, and after seeing somebody ask two questions I asked a second question. Though I do feel a little bad about it, as there were a lot of questions that went unanswered (even ones posted before that one). I asked how Caroll could see when performing Bruno and if there's anything from the FTB screenplay that didn't make it into the finished film that he remembers (he replied to both, but with the FTB question, he didn't exactly answer what I asked, instead he told an interesting behind-the-scenes story).

I kept telling myself "don't answer questions that I already know the answers to".

I'm confused about the question placement. When it started, I asked my first question before I saw others, but then I saw other questions listed above/below mine. And as I kept checking back, it seems like a lot of questions would be placed at different places than what I had previously seen.