1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Drtooth, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Locks seem like a pretty solid solution, especially when it comes to threads about unfinished projects. If anyone has any insider information about the projects, they should feel free to post new threads. But more often than not, we get some random useless reply that doesn't add to the conversation, and sometimes someone who's completely unaware of the date of the thread.
    The Count likes this.
  2. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Too many rules might intimidate new members.
    KissesToKermie likes this.
  3. MuppetsRule Active Member

They might.
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  4. dwmckim Well-Known Member

For the record, i don't support a timeframe for closing old threads as sometimes there may be fully valid reasons for responding to them or bringing the thread in question out of its coma. Just because some people who fail to understand proper netiquette don't understand this and bump threads in a manner that shouldn't be done doesn't mean that there are also "right" ways and valid reasons to revive an older thread's discussion.

And i STRONGLY PASSIONATELY oppose deleting old threads. Those are our history. It's already a tragic shame that the old delphi forum posts are lost. So much valuable information/insights gone.

As for our "vocabulary challenged" members, we can always create a "Wedding Thread" where people can go just to say "I do."
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That may not be a great thing, but then again, it might not be such a bad thing either. There are a LOT of people who sign up and never actually become members, and there are a LOT of people who actually sign up for legitimate advertising Spam. But then again, we have those who sign up for one conversation, and that's not too bad. We've had Mark Evanier pop up on a thread about the new Garfield show, and that was a delightful surprise.

But if someone becomes a member, they have to have some commitment to being one and that commitment means following the rules. Even simple unenforced etiquette ones.

It's a complicated matter, sure. There are threads that are old and have conversation potential, but there are those news threads for abandoned projects that, when bumped, look like there's either some new information or that someone somehow managed to find a copy of the test and leak it.... only to find "I liek teh ice creamz" or some nonsense. Locking these threads, unfortunately is the only way to deal with that. And this would be like a 5 year down the road of no new posts. Sure, we've had old topics that always manage to maintain conversation ("What sketches scared you as a Kid")... those would be safe.

However, no one is stopping anyone from creating multiple threads on the same subject if somehow there's an update or leaked footage, or the need to discuss why it didn't happen again. I mean, we have to have a "Who's your favorite Muppet" thread started at least once or twice a year. If it's somewhere buried under the 10th page or something, then it's okay to create another thread on the subject. It's only annoying if there's 3 or more on the same subject not even a week apart on the same page.

So we come to the choice of 2 things... stricter rules which would scare off potential members or locking/deleting old threads. None of them sound good, but we need to get a handle on members who are here for the sake of being here and don't contribute to any conversation.
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

...And he's doing it again. :rolleyes:
  7. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I can't believe how people aren't bothered by the simple "lol" posts.
    Not pointing fingers or naming names, but I do find it kinda annoying, I feel like they're posting for the sake of posting instead of using the like button
    If anyone who's reading this has been doing this..please don't take this personally, but please, try to use the like button in the future
  8. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I don't mind lol or XD written at the end of a message, but if that's all the post says..it's kinda irritating
  9. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Thats what this thread, and a thread I made a few months back are all about...its just some people don't feel as strongly that things should be done about it. Granted I do sometimes post one word replies, but I'm not digging up decade old threads to do it :/

Something needs to be done about this member, and yet he is not learning, and nothing is being done
    Drtooth likes this.
  10. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Who? Sorry, if you don't want to tell me for privacy's sake I'm cool with that.
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I reported him at least twice. I was hoping to at least see a slap on the wrist or something, but he continues to drudge up posts and write 2 word responses that add nothing to a conversation. He does it almost monthly. I don't want to ask for a ban, but if that's what it takes, than that's what it takes.

I don't want to name names. Those who know who I'm talking about know who I'm talking about.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

Sorry guys but my stance is still the same. That's why we have the ability to ignore. I don't think this is worthy of a ban.
  13. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I did check his post count and his old spam posts appear to have been deleted at some point prior to today, at least :/
  14. The Count Moderator

Something I think would serve this forum well... Let's say Member X signs up as a new member today, right now, with a join date of September 14 2012 at 9:30 PM. If an entire year goes by with 0 posts until the date that the administration wishes to employ, six months or one full year, September 14 2013 at 9:30 PM, then have the system automatically delete the account and add the IP address to a recognizition database to block any further registrations from the same address.

As far as fellow members you feel are braking forum rules annoyingly, I understand your not wanting to divulge the members' name privately. However, perhaps contacting us staff members in a private conversation would be best, as I like CaseytheMuppet am unclear as to whom you may refer.
  15. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Oops, Sorry Tooth. I'm nosy. :o
  16. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but the member that Dr. Tooth initially mentioned hasn't just caused problems on MC. He regularly spams Muppet youtube videos by commenting on pretty much everyone, and saying very irrelevant, simplistic things like "Gnarly!" and "Ok". Needless to say, a lot of youtube users have been unhappy with this guy, and several have blocked him.
  17. The Count Moderator

If it's the member we think it is, it's a "she".
    My only advice, contact the administration through the forum's "Contact Us" link.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ehhh... Youtube's tricky because NONE of the comments on Youtube are ever warranted. That person's "OK" type comments are the least worrisome thing you can find on YT.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

He's back at it.
  20. The Count Moderator

Thanks for the alert Drtooth. In the future though, I would advise you report his posts instead as it keeps me from having to hunt them down. I'm constantly on the watch for that user whenever he's online to make sure no posts get posted. Also, please don't reply to his posts as that just reflects badly on you as well.

Hope this helps and have a good day.
    heralde likes this.