Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what the warning points system is for. But since they keep on spamming, it seems the warning points system isn't really that effective against them.

Also... No matter how many likes a spammer bestows upon a member, that still constitutes spam and is incredibly annoying/stalkerish. It frazzles me to find a slue of these by this one jerkwad who I already want to ram a brick repeatedly through their head for their blatent spammerish stupidity for lack of better MC-PG words. :grr:

galagr

Reaction score
I've been in the Fan-Fiction section today, and boy was that a mistake.

Almost EVERY SINGLE FAN-FIC (written by the spammers we are referring to, I think) is basically "Lulz OMG XD im sooo in a realetionship wit *insert muppet name here* **** XD"

Okay, this rubs me the wrong way in two ways. First of all, isn't the Fan-Fiction section meant for Muppet fans who know how to tell a story (or perhaps just aspiring writers) to make up stories about the Muppets and not have themselves take over the show (I know there's a word or term for putting yourself or a version of yourself in the story, but I can't quite remember what said term is.)?

Also, the Muppets they are putting themselves in relations with are clearly Muppets that are adults. Yes, I'm well aware that it is fictitious, but the thought of young girls having deep "admiration" for adult Muppets...rubs me the wrong way.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I've been in the Fan-Fiction section today, and boy was that a mistake.

Almost EVERY SINGLE FAN-FIC (written by the spammers we are referring to, I think) is basically "Lulz OMG XD im sooo in a realetionship wit *insert muppet name here* **** XD"

Okay, this rubs me the wrong way in two ways. First of all, isn't the Fan-Fiction section meant for Muppet fans who know how to tell a story (or perhaps just aspiring writers) to make up stories about the Muppets and not have themselves take over the show (I know there's a word or term for putting yourself or a version of yourself in the story, but I can't quite remember what said term is.)?

Also, the Muppets they are putting themselves in relations with are clearly Muppets that are adults. Yes, I'm well aware that it is fictitious, but the thought of young girls having deep "admiration" for adult Muppets...rubs me the wrong way.
I've felt that way about the more recent fan fics for the longest time, but quite frankly didn't have the nerve to say anything. Honestly, it feels more like I'm reading someone else's diary than a story. And I'd much rather read a story for all (Muppet fan, anyway) audiences than someone's personal fantasies. Not to mention the fact that there was a PG-13 fan fic on here at one point. Even though the author put a warning at the beginning, that doesn't mean it's going to keep all younger visitors away. Let's face facts: kids (especially on the internet) get curious. I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not saying "delete these fan fics", nor am I saying the fan fics are bad (they do have any audience, after all). Rather I'm saying that I just can't get into them. I'd offer further criticism, but it's what they want to write, and I don't really see how that's a threat to the forum (though I'm not sure about the PG-13 story).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ironically, the fanfic board used to be so cliquish, so I'm surprised they're all getting away with this.

galagr

Reaction score
I'm not saying "delete these fan fics", rather I'm saying that I just can't get into them. I'd offer further criticism, but it's what they want to write, and I don't really see how they're a threat to the forum (though I'm not sure about the PG-13 story).

Yeah, that PG-13 fan-fic you are referring to really got me thinking. Do people actually think that? I mean, these are characters that children and adults of all ages enjoy, and to just throw them into...that situation just kind of makes me question some of the members on this forum (or, just that one author of said story.). That really isn't something you should post on a public forum that anyone can go on.

I mean, what if a young child had read that? It's not like we have restrictions on what age can read certain posts. And, even if we did, people would get around it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You probably shouldn't look through some of the things on deviantART then.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, few things to say...

1 The term for self-insertion is Mary Sue/Gary Stu depending on your gender. Frankly, because of the type of non-active person I've been, I always came up with my own self-character for insertion in various fandom franchises. The caution is not to make your self-character uber-empowered that he or she can just wipe away all problems with a flick of the finger. Knowledgeable or brainy, sure; strong, if you want; speedily quick, that's your call; just so long as they have some normal flaw like everyone else. Which is why I'm generally okay with self-insertion of ourselves into Muppet-related fics or the creation of other original Muppetlike characters.

2 If you're going to have characters, or in this case other people's self-characters involved in your fic, ask permission from that other person first. I've done it myself on occasion and I'm thankful that my reputation here has ended up in positive permission most of the times I've asked to bring others' characters into my own realm.

3 They can get away with all their cruddy posts in the fanfic section because they can. Basically, we need assistant moderators who can either alert or help tidy up the place and we need to give full staff moderators the power to not just ban members at whatever point they become spammerish; but to pull off the magic trick of automatically deleting the offending parties' posts when their account has been banned as well. I'm doing all I can, but I'm just one person... *Song cue? Have two hands only. Not to mention the jerks don't learn anything from having their posts deleted, posting the deleted garbage over and over again.

As far as PG-13 fics, that's a tricky subject. So far the few ones I've seen posted here are by authors I have full respect in, namely Ruahnna and newsmanfan. If anything clearly crosses the line past MC's general feeling, contact a mod so they can look at it and render their own decision.

Thanks for your support, have a good day. :jim:

galagr

Reaction score
You probably shouldn't look through some of the things on deviantART then.

Well, yes, but there is a difference between their system and our system. On Muppet Central, anyone can look at any post (unless The Count deletes a post, which, unfortunately, he's had to do A LOT these days.), even if they aren't a member.

On deviantART, if the creator deems a work inappropriate (I'm not sure if they can do that, I'm not as well antiquated with deviantART as others are), the viewer of said works must be signed into an account and be of legal age to view it. Of course, people can get around that too, but it takes a bit more work. I, quite frankly, despise those that lie about their age just so they can view things they aren't supposed to see.

Great, now these spammers are making me act like a concerned parent.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The term for self-insertion is Mary Sue/Gary Stu depending on your gender.
Mary Sue/Gary Stu and other variations are nauseatingly idealized characters that authors plop into a story, where they proceed to become the center of the universe. The other characters fall into orbit around them, often romantically , not because they are so great or the story calls for it, but because the author loves their pet character best. This does not only happen in fanfic; Wesley Crusher is a canon Mary Sue.

Self-insertion characters are often Mary Sues, and many Mary Sues are self-insertions, but the terms are not synonymous.
If you're going to have characters, or in this case other people's self-characters involved in your fic, ask permission from that other person first.
YES. I'm squicky about having people use my characters in their fic without my permission. But I've never had to refuse a request, perhaps because the kind of person who asks permission is likely to be the kind of person who will make an effort to write 'em right.
As far as PG-13 fics, that's a tricky subject. So far the few ones I've seen posted here are by authors I have full respect in, namely Ruahnna and newsmanfan.
Hmmm...I seem to remember a certain fic about a giant chicken, heh heh heh...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Giant chicken? Hey, we got a giant chicken here!
You wear a disguise to look like human guys, but you're not a man, you're a chicken Boo.

Heh heh, that was during my ush-gush phase. *Hides plans for Calendar Girl fic that only Ru's previewed so far that I have to keep writing someday.

Thanks for clarifying the terms, glad that the ol' similitude trick still applies.

:news: We now return you to your regularly scheduled forums.