Calvin & Hobbes Plush dolls BY ME!

Ray and Mia

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes?

Well the creator of the strip will not release any merchandise of the C&H characters. That's right.. no t-shirts, plush dolls, hats, stickers or anything! (they do how ever sell the books of all the comic strips)

Anyway.. my Hubby Ray is looooves Calvin & Hobbes, so for his birthday last week I made him a plush doll of Hobbes (the tiger) it took me a VERY long time to finish him.. mainly because I was getting lazy and I had to make the patter myself. But the day before his birthday ,Hobbes was all done!

Well now our 2 year Anniversary is rolling up (May 14th) so I plan to make Ray a plush 'Calvin' (the little boy) to match his friend Hobbes (the tiger) as an anniversary gift. I was thinking, we COULD use them as puppet type dolls too...like do a puppet video with them.. (if we connected rods to their hands) but I dont know if we would want to risk damaging the dolls by poking holes in their arms.

I dunno.. what do you guys think?

Here's pictures of the plush Hobbes doll I made:
Picture 1
Picture 2

So now I must try to make a Calvin doll...
Grrr sewing by hand takes so long!
*sigh*

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Amazing, realy looks like hobbes, I love the comic strip...sadly I lost all my books when we moved...and a suggestion for the arm rods. You could always tie or glue the rods to rubber bands and slip them on the arms, not damaging them...I dont know how well that would work, but you could always try it

MGov

Reaction score
That is a really good looking Hobbes. I made a "stuffed" Hobbes version (the one everyone else besides Calvin saw) for a girlfriend in college. Much easier than the one you did.

Good luck on Calvin.

puppetise

Reaction score
Ray and Mia said:
(if we connected rods to their hands) but I dont know if we would want to risk damaging the dolls by poking holes in their arms.​

go to my piture trail in my signiture and go to bits and bobs there is a step by step guide to make arm rod that wont damage the toy

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I love Calvin and Hobbes!! You did a really great job with him Mia. Looking forward to your Calvin pics.

Something Waterson is the guys name right? Why won't he mass-produce his stuff? He could make it so the licensor had to follow specific instructions like no Calvin with a pot-leaf or whatever.

Maybe he was miffed at those Calvin peeing on *object* window decals? I still wish he'd continue the strip, those guys have a loooooooot of material left.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
I still wish he'd continue the strip, those guys have a loooooooot of material left.
Actually, I saw Calvin and Hobbes in a newspaper about a month ago, thinking maybe it would come back, I was really disapointed when it wasnt in the rest of the newspapers I got:boo:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
Something Waterson is the guys name right? Why won't he mass-produce his stuff? He could make it so the licensor had to follow specific instructions like no Calvin with a pot-leaf or whatever.

Maybe he was miffed at those Calvin peeing on *object* window decals? I still wish he'd continue the strip, those guys have a loooooooot of material left.
Bill Watterson doesn't believe in merchandising. Throughout his career he really pushed the idea of comics as art and in the few interviews he's done he's said that putting the characters on mugs and T-shirts cheapens them in his eyes.

One of his famous quotes about merchandising was ""I am a cartoonist, not the leader of a commercial Calvin and Hobbes factory."

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Hi, I really like Hobbes! My son went through a phase when all he would read or have read was Calvin and Hobbes- he is 12. Now he has stopped, but I still love reading them! I think you have acheived a really good likeness, I am sure Hubby will be thrilled.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
I love how half of the rip off Calvin window decals you see are Calvin praying in front of a cross. WWJD? Certainly not commit copyright infringment.

Great Hobbes Mia!