1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Calvin and Hobbes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Super Scooter, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

by Bill Watterson.

My mom and my dad are not what they seem.
    Their dull appearance is part of their scheme.
    I know of their plans. I know their techniques.
    My parents are outer space alien freaks!

They landed on earth in a spaceship humongous
    Posing as grownups, they now walk among us.
    My parents deny this, but I know the truth.
    They're here to enslave me and spoil my youth.

Early each morning, as the sun rises,
    Mom and Dad put on their earthling disguises.
    I knew right away their masks weren't legit.
    Their faces are lined - they sag and don't fit.

The earth's gravity makes them sluggish and slow.
    They say not to run, wherever I go.
    They live by the clock. They're slaves to routines.
    They work the year 'round. They're almost machines.

They deny that TV and fried food have much worth.
    They cannot be human. They're not of this earth.
    I cannot escape their alien gaze,
    And they're warping my mind with their alien ways.
    For sinister plots, this one is a gem.
    They're bringing me up to turn me into them!

- From a Calvin and Hobbes comic featured in the book, "It's a Magical World"

Since so many on these boards are Calvin and Hobbes fans, I thought it might be fun to have a thread devoted to discussing the two and their adventures.
  2. Don'tLiveonMoon

Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

LOL! Great poem! I may have read that before. My brother Nathan has a lot of his book. Calvin and Hobbes is his favorite cartoon. He has his own comic strip, and for a long time its main character looked an awful lot like Calvin. He underwent a radical transformation, though. :cool:
    Erin
  3. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Hehe! When I was 8, I drew a comic about a kid and his imaginary dog. They would walk through the woods discussing philosophy. LOL!

The way the humor is in the Calvin and Hobbes comics makes it almost so that it's like an adult Peanuts comic. Maybe that's why it's so good.
  4. Phantom

Phantom New Member

I've been a Calvin and Hobbs fan since our closest "city" paper picked it up in syndication. I miss it. I've got several of Watterson's books, but it's just not the same as having to wait for the next day's paper.
  5. Amazing Mumford

Amazing Mumford New Member

Yeah, I'd echo that thought. I stopped reading the comic section on a daily basis once Calvin and Hobbes ended. Fortunately, they've done a good job of producing reprints in book form. It's been a long time since I've read them, but this is easily my favorite comic strip ever.

My favorite story arcs were anything involving Rosalyn (sp?) the babysitter, the Monster Mutant Killer Snow Goons, and Yukon Ho (where Calvin runs away from home). Plus, the Calvinball ones were always fun.
  6. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Did you ever see the one where a bunch of office people were standing by a water cooler when a shot rings out, one of the workers goes down and the next frame shows a bunch of deer standing around in hunting clothes congratulating one of them for the kill?

LMBO!

I actually hid in the bathtub to avoid taking a bath as a kid. Calvin was right. They never looked in there.
  7. Manda:-D

Manda:-D New Member

I LOOVE Calvin & Hobbes! I was OBSESSED when I was little! I can DEFINITELY attribute Bill Watterson for sparking in me & my brother an interest in philosophy! :D
    Amazing Mumford, "Yukon Ho" is the only Calvin & Hobbes book I have! It's one of my favorite story arcs as well! Bill Watterson was so innovative when it came to comic strips...Too bad there's nothing else out there like that anymore! :(
  8. HeraLirambar

HeraLirambar New Member

I like the one where Calvin is waiting for the bus and an alien appears that disguises itself as him.

Calvin as Alien as Calvin- *Tries to give Susie the lunchbox* "Hi, ma nam is Kahlfin. Heeryor lunboks. Hoffa gud tay askool."
  9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

"Ees dat darn Kahlfiin! He stole mah spaceship!"
  10. Amazing Mumford

Amazing Mumford New Member

The best part of the whole Yukon Ho story was when he leaves Hobbes in the woods and his dad is out there in the dark looking for the stuffed tiger. That is so something my own dad would have done.

In fact, that's probably what appeals to me most about the strip--there's so much I can to relate to from my own childhood that it makes me feel like a kid again to read it.

I agree that there's nothing like it out there anymore. But, I appreciate Watterson ending the run when he ran dry creatively. He could have easily done the strip on cruise control for another ten years like Jim Davis has done on Garfield.
  11. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Don't forget all the fun they had with the transmogrifier/duplicator! Those adventures were among the awesomest (I hope that's a word ...).
    minor muppetz likes this.
  12. Manda:-D

Manda:-D New Member

Scientific progress goes "boink", I believe that story was called.
    The transmogrifier storyline was SOO great...:D
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

That transmogrifier was a great storyline!

I really like the dad, too. He's hillarious. I remember one stcomic where Calvin asked how the ATM machine worked. He told him that when you stuck your card in and punched in your number, this little man behind it with a printing press made p some money and stuck it out for you. "You mean kinda like the guy who lives upstairs in our garage who works the garage door opener?"
  14. HeraLirambar

HeraLirambar New Member

I love the big difference between the two: the transmorgifier had the lid facing down, the duplicator was on it's side.
    :)

Or how about when he tried to explain to Calvin about black and white pictures, and said the world was in black and white back then? *VBG*
  15. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Here's what Bill Watterson had to write about that in one of his Calvin and Hobbes comics:
    -
    Hobbes: "What's this?"
    Calvin: "It's a generic snowman. I used to make original snowmen, but it was time-consuming, hard work, so I said, heck, this is crazy! Now I crank out crude imitations of what's already popular! It takes no time or thought, and most people don't care about the difference anyway!"
    Hobbes: "So cynical, yet so practical."
    Calvin: "And what good is originality if you can't crank it out?"
  16. electricmayhem

electricmayhem New Member

I love Calvin and Hobbes too. I always have at least one of the books going! :excited: It's one of the only comics that can make me laugh out loud.
  17. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Calvin & Hobbes fan

I'm glad other MC members enjoy C&H! I have all of the books,have cut out so many comic strips from the newspaper.That comicstrip mentioned in the beginning of the thread,I put that strip on my bulletin board ever once in awhile.The one I have up now is:

"-Ah,what a lovely day to go sailing,eh Marsha?Our new boat is just wonderful,Bradley.
    -What do you say we drop anchor and go for a swim,dearest? That sounds delightful,darling!Let's go.
    -(ploosh ploosh)

My favorite ones are,so many too name,the transmogrifier & Calvin fighting with Suzy,etc... I miss that strip something awful,glad I have the books to look at again & again. :cool: -JaniceFerSure
  18. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Same here. I have three of their books. I loved the Idea of a kid hanging around a stuffed toy. I used to do that and I used my imagination to make a monkey come to life for me. Oh how I miss C&Hs. :(
  19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I have several of the Calvin and Hobbes books, and have been rereading them a bit recently.

I enjoyed one storyline which seems to have a number of twists. It starts off with Calvin ready to turn in his math homework, only for the numbers to leave the paper and the paper to catch on fire, then Ms. Wormwood turns into an alien, and then Calvin wakes up from his dream... Only to remember that he forgot to do his math homework that's due that day, so he and Hobbes get up to do the homework, but when observing the snow outside go back to bed hoping school would be canceled. Then school does become canceled, but instead of doing his homework Calvin plays in the snow all day (it's a wonder his parents didn't check to make sure he finished his homework). And then at school Calvin is worried about getting in trouble for not doing his homework, only for the closing bell to ring right before the teacher is about to collect papers, giving Calvin more time to do his homework. It looks like he's finally learned his lesson, only for him to once again procrastinate ("From now on, business before pleasure... And it'll be a pleasure to get that homework done."). And then the story ends there, with us never knowing if he did get the homework done in time.

And I like the storyline where Calvin accidently breaks his dads binocolars (by throwing it at himself to catch and missing). He spends his time being worried about his dad getting mad, and when he admits to his dad that he broke them, dad yells at him, with Calvin expressing that he already feels bad about it. Eventually the dad apologizes for how he behaved and admits it's not the worst thing he could do ("when you turn 18 you'll probably wreck the car...").

And I like the ones involving the box, such as when he uses it as a time machine to go to the future to pick up the homework he's supposed to do, and when he learns future Calvin didn't do the homework, they blame the Calvin from between when Calvin left and now. And then there's the time the box was used to turn Calvin into a tiger. But I feel the best ones are when he duplicates himself, learns that his dublicate is such a jerk, and becomes horrified when his dublicate makes more duplicates. Not to mention a later storyline where Calvin duplicates his good side, which begins with us not knowing what's going on. In the 10th anniversary book Bill Watterson explained that that's the kind of story that needs to wait until audiences are really familiar with the character.

As for some of my favorite single-story strips, I like the sunday strip where Calvin's mom let's him smoke a cigarrette, and after he does and has a coughing fit, his mom asks if he's learned anything, and what Calvin learns is, "trusting parents can be harmful to your health". And I like the Christmas strip where the dad jokingly acts as if they're just going to put the tree in the garage and not even decorate it. Not to mention a strip that's all pantomime, where Calvin goes to wait for the bus, realises he forgot his lunch, and goes in to get it, at the same time his mom sees the lunch and goes to the bus stop to hand it to Calvin. They eventually find each other, but then the bus leaves. After mom drives him to school and returns home, she sees that they forgot Calvins lunch, to which she screams.

In the 10th anniversary book Bill Watterson said that he thought it felt awkward for the short-lived Uncle Roy to not refer to Calvin's parents by name, which made him decide not to give the parents any regular contacts of their own. But in the strip where Calvin meets Uncle Roy, Roy refers to Calvin's dad as "bro". Wouldn't that be enough? And I wonder if this caused any problems when Rosylin babysat Calvin (Watterson could have at least given Calvin a last name so Rosylan could refer to the parents as Mr. or Mrs. whatever).
  20. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Now see? If people are going to bump a really old thread, at least do so with the intentions of actually adding some actual input into the conversation that would make the thread worth discussion again. Thank you minor muppetz, your post in this thread was very refreshing.
    CaseytheMuppet and minor muppetz like this.