Building an Elmo

pashmonster

Reaction score
Yes the egg is to remove the seam. just use a foam egg and stretch material over it and hot glue it to the back.

The boiling water technique makes the fur seem matted but if the furs too long it just looks like a wet cat. once it has been in water for a minute rinse out the hot water and just rub the fur it gives it a more elmo scruffy look rather than a puffball look.

shoo

Reaction score
What did you use for the eyes on your elmo? I am trying to find eyes for my cookie monster, but I've no luck in finding plain white plastic balls...

pashmonster

Reaction score
I used 2 part plastic xmas baubles, they are found everywhere on internet. i glued them together and primered them white and then finished with gloss white, they come with a little hoop on them so they can be sewed directly to the puppet. I didnt use this method i cut off the bottom 20% and then glued in a pair of the dome eyes which have a stalk in so they can be pulled further into the head. i can pull on the stalk to give elmo expressions but i think just sewing them on will be fine.

FUZZYRED

Reaction score
I was planning to build elmo puppet as well and if you say behind the head about inch from eyes and nothing but the fur. How do you keep the back of fur shape while you perform elmo?

Animal31

Reaction score
I was planning to build elmo puppet as well and if you say behind the head about inch from eyes and nothing but the fur. How do you keep the back of fur shape while you perform elmo?
The fur (pattern) should naturally follow the shape of your hand, but looking at countless pics and videos, I still feel the skull goes back much further than that.

BUT, you need to remember when looking at resource materials, there are so many different Elmos that were used and everyone of them is diffferent from the others. Pick the one you like, and go for it!

And don't forget to post pics!

pashmonster

Reaction score
It does follow the shape of your hand but because of the way i stitched it it does kinda hold its self up another inch or so after the foam ends. I used a sewing maching to do the back stitching two lines quarter of an inch appart, rest is hand stitched.

Animal31

Reaction score
Pashmonster - I am just curious with your Elmo, what did you use for the mouthboard? It looks fantastic and seems to close perfectly straight........

Thanks,

pashmonster

Reaction score
Elmo mouth

I used 2mm plastic sheet, known as styrene, i had a bit left over from another project and its light, stiff and can be cut with sharp knife and sanded smooth.