Building a puppet stage

Lectric Ave

Reaction score
Ok first off I am trying to create my own puppet company. my set which is the first part of my project is currently being built. I have 4 full body puppets and 3 half body puppets. the whole idea is that they live in a hotel (like the Happiness Hotel). the owner and bell hop will be performed by people.

I am developing curriculum for VBS, or church events but also wholesome family entertainment.

The set will look like the inside of a hotel (duh) and it has 2 floors with 4 doors on each floor. I have recently only built the first two door flats of the bottom floor. i have been taking pictures and will be uploading them later on tonight what do you guys think?

MagicFractal

Reaction score
That's interesting, Lectric Ave. With so many rooms, you could re-use space. Between brief curtain intermissions, or a distracting lighting change, it could switch to a hallway scene with an elegant elevator at one end, and the doors numbered (changeable for different floors).

Fast scene switching has always been a challenge for live theater. Now that 3-D Printers are almost affordable (Google), really wonderful props can be conjured magically. Any copy shop can make transparencies suitable for window views, and Photoshop handles layers so well. Sounds like fun.

You're uploading. Are you uploading to FaceBook? Google doesn't find your pages. WWW can be affordable -- AwardSpace.com is a free server (250 MB) and Kompozer is a free WYSIWYG for HTML.

Lectric Ave

Reaction score
I'm sorry i didnt post pics on the 3rd but i had to pack up and go to a camp. It was a pretty cool gig got to use my set for the first time. all though its not done it was nice to see any oversights or mistakes i had made in the build. it has been painted since these pictures and it is two frames wide in these pics you only see one.

MagicFractal

Reaction score
This got me thinking about how many puppet theaters could be used like television studios, now that digital movie cameras and editing are practical. Having the advantages of editing plus changing camera viewpoint, sound overdub, and the equivalent of blue-screen backgrounds, would really work for some theater setups, I imagine.

Lectric Ave

Reaction score
im building it in section so it can be mobile. cause i plan on doing gigs for a wile.

crazy chris

Reaction score
Hi Lectric!! I'm dying to see your pictures but for some reason they dont show up for me!!

I own and operate a puppet theater and i can't wait to see your work!!

Here are some photos from our little theater if you're interested http://sassafrassjunction.blogspot.com/2012/08/some-more-great-photos-from-our-new.html

This is our simplest stage thus far... before that we've had a giant tree... a tiki hut...a train car (my favorite) and we built a house and castle for our cinderella style show

cc