Brian & Lisa Henson named Co-CEOs; Rivkin steps down

Princess Melora

Reaction score
Siblings take helm of Henson co.

NEW YORK (AFX) -- Brian Henson, and his sister Lisa, were named co-chairs and co-CEOs of the Jim Henson Co. Tuesday. The Hensons replace Charles Rivkin as CEO of the company. In May, Brian Henson led a deal to buyback the Henson Co. from EM.TV for $78 million. The deal returned Muppet characters, such as Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and Gonzo, to their original home. "Brian will focus on our global Jim Henson's Creature Shop operations, on puppeteer relations, and on producing and directing selected major film and television projects," said Lisa Henson. "I will oversee all creative projects from early development through post production."

This story was supplied by CBSMarketWatch. For further information see www.cbsmarketwatch.com.

Stulz

Reaction score
No Golden Ticket for Charlie....

Princess Melora said:
The Hensons replace Charles Rivkin as CEO of the companyl
Sorry to hear Charlie's out. He was such a great CEO, very down to earth. He was was also the ringleader trying to help the performers buy the company from EMTV.
:frown:

Luke

Reaction score
So is Charlie actually out or demoted to general manager or something ? It says Lisa is in charge of development, while Brian is in charge of the puppets and directing - so who makes all the general business decisions ? Pepe ? :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, Jane Henson may have spilled the beans (so to speak) on this last month at the Henson Legacy event in New York. She made several references during the Q&A to Brian and Cheryl "running the company" though there was no specific mention of the CEO title.

This makes a certain amount of sense. Cheryl and Brian work out of the West Coast I'm told and have the most industry experience among the Henson kids, Cheryl especially.

I was never very clued in about Rivkin, but was under the impression a lot of people were unhappy with him, especially after the sale to EMtv. Is this true?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
This makes a certain amount of sense. Cheryl and Brian work out of the West Coast I'm told and have the most industry experience among the Henson kids, Cheryl especially.
Lisa, you mean.

And here's this:

CEO Rivkin ankles Henson
November 12, 2003 3:13pm
Daily Variety

Charles Rivkin, a 15-year veteran of the Jim Henson Co., has ankled as CEO of the family entertainment company.

Rivkin, who recently led the Hollywood-based company through an arduous two-year search for new ownership, will serve on the Henson board. He did not immediately detail other professional plans.

Brian Henson, son of the late Henson founder who led the family's recent re-acquisition of the company, will serve as co-chair and co-CEO, along with his sister Lisa Henson. Siblings Cheryl, Heather and John Henson will continue to serve as directors.

Peter Shube, previously exec VP of business and legal affairs, has been elevated to prexy and chief operating officer. Shube will share in the assumption of Rivkin's former responsibilities.

"On behalf of the Henson family and the entire organization, I want to thank Charlie Rivkin for his 15 years of extraordinary service to the Jim Henson Co.," Brian Henson said. "Charlie played a key role in keeping the company stable and moving forward after my father's death in 1990 and again over the past three very challenging years."

As a director, Rivkin will focus on helping Henson with new strategic relationships.

"Reflecting the success of (Rivkin's) efforts to date, we are now in advanced discussions with a number of prospective strategic partners, and we expect to announce the culmination of those efforts in the very near future," Brian Henson said.

From a foundation built on its core Muppets characters, Henson has been active over the years in an array of film and TV endeavors. Its most recent film project --- the well received talking-dogs laffer "Good Boy!" --- has grossed $37 million domestically since its Oct. 10 release by MGM.

In the future, Brian Henson will be most hands-on with the company's creature shop operations and its activities in film and TV productions, while also producing and directing various projects. Lisa Henson will oversee all creative projects from development through post-production.

"All of us on the Jim Henson team will work together to build on our proud heritage, leverage our unique assets and achieve our company's mission (of) making the world a better place by inspiring people to celebrate life," Lisa Henson said.

Rivkin joined Henson in 1988 as director of strategic planning. He was promoted to VP in 1990, senior VP-chief operating officer in 1991, exec veep-COO in 1994 and prexy-COO in 1995, before ascending to chief exec three years ago.

"I am incredibly proud of what we've achieved here over the years and grateful to the Henson family for their eternal friendship," Rivkin said. "Jim Henson's legacy will live forever."

Copyright © 2003 Reed Business Information - US

beaker

Reaction score
I thought Rivkin was a visionary personally, as I could imagine the delima of having all these ambitious projects...yet not having the financial resources or pull to bring them to frutition. I met the guy, I think he's incredible, and it's too bad to see him bow out of the CEO spot. No idea what 'ankle' means, heh. All I know is I want *someone* to stir the Muppets toward their glroious baptismal reawakening in 2005. :stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks Boyraisin, good news. As for Charlie, yeah I think it was some peoples view that he wasn't the greatest creative force but he did a heck of a job with licensing and marketing through some tough times. I think they are in the right hands creatively with Lisa - far more than Brian and Charlie who can get on with what they are good at. For those who don't know, Lisa is a former Executive Vice President of Warner Bros, and former President of Columbia Pictures.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Hmm, just thouht of something. Brian and Lisa are co-CEOs, does that mean Henson has no President?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
The official press release

BRIAN HENSON AND LISA HENSON NAMED CO-CHAIRS AND

CO-CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS OF THE JIM HENSON COMPANY

– Charles H. Rivkin Joins Henson Family on New Company’s Board of Directors,

Will Continue to Spearhead Drive to Establish New Strategic Relationships –

– Peter Schube Named President and Chief Operating Officer –

– Revised Business Model Will Emphasize Film and Television Production, Strategic Relationships –

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Nov. 11, 2003 –The Jim Henson Company today announced that Brian Henson, who led the Henson family’s recent acquisition of the company from EM.TV & Merchandising AG, and his sister Lisa Henson, two of the late Jim Henson’s five children, have been named Co-Chairs and Co-Chief Executive Officers of the company. Peter Schube, formerly Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs, has been named President and Chief Operating Officer. In their new roles, Brian and Lisa Henson and Mr. Schube have assumed responsibilities previously held by Charles H. Rivkin, who has joined Brian, Lisa, Cheryl, Heather and John Henson on the new company’s Board of Directors after serving for several years as the company’s President and Chief Executive Officer.

Brian Henson said, “On behalf of the Henson family and the entire organization, I want to thank Charlie Rivkin for his fifteen years of extraordinary service to The Jim Henson Company. As a senior executive here since 1988, Charlie played a key role in keeping the company stable and moving forward after my father’s death in 1990, and again over the past three very challenging years. In the months ahead, as a member of our board, Charlie will continue to focus on establishing new strategic relationships for The Jim Henson Company. Reflecting the success of his efforts to date, we are now in advanced discussions with a number of prospective strategic partners and we expect to announce the culmination of those efforts in the very near future.”

Lisa Henson said: “The new Jim Henson Company will focus on the creative and production sides of the business, with strategic partners handling distribution. Brian and I will share primary responsibility for the company’s strategic direction and financial performance. Brian will focus on our global Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ operations, on puppeteer relations, and on producing and directing selected major film and television projects. I will oversee all creative projects from early development through post production. As our new President/COO, Peter Schube will manage day-to-day operations, partner relationships, and new business development. And all of us on the Jim Henson team will work together to build on our proud heritage, leverage our unique assets, and achieve our company’s mission: making the world a better place by inspiring people to celebrate life.”

For biographical profiles of Brian Henson, Lisa Henson, Charles Rivkin and Peter Schube, please visit www.henson.com.

Assets of The Jim Henson Company include: The Muppets, The Muppet Babies, The Fraggles, The Hoobs, Farscape, and Bear in the Big Blue House. The Company’s principal operations include: Jim Henson Television, Jim Henson Pictures, Jim Henson Home Entertainment, the Henson Recording Studio, and Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™.

Among recent accomplishments of The Jim Henson Company:

Jim Henson Pictures’ Good Boy!, the live-action family film grossing $36.5 million to date, has been one of the most profitable releases for MGM this year.
It’s A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, on NBC, achieved the highest rating last season for a television movie in primetime with more than 11 million viewers.
Accomplished cross-platform revitalization of the Muppet franchise through marketing and promotional alliances with MasterCard, Macy’s, NASCAR and Starbucks, among others.
The Muppets remain pop culture icons with 5,000 licensed products in the marketplace and national appearances on such outlets as Good Morning America, Today, Hannity & Colmes, Live with Regis and Kelly, Jimmy Kimmel Live, and Wayne Brady.
Kermit the Frog received his star on the world-famous Hollywood Walk of Fame, culminating a year-long celebration of the 25th Anniversary of The Muppet Show that included such high-profile appearances as The Queen’s Golden Jubilee and a top-ranking music video with the popular band Weezer.

The Jim Henson Company, an established leader in family entertainment for more than 45 years, is a multimedia production company; one of the top character licensors in the industry; a leading publisher of children’s books and home to Jim Henson Television, Jim Henson Pictures, Jim Henson Interactive, Jim Henson Home Entertainment and Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™. The Company is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices and production facilities in New York and London. The Jim Henson Company website is located at: www.henson.com