Bob, Gordon, and Luis: FIRED!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I am not sure the full story(stories) of why they were let go/fired. I would like to point out though this could be a positive thing for themselves personally. Maybe they'll find that they can relax a little more, spend more time with family, friends. Still go around and promote the show and share their experience but not have to be under the studio lights for the long hours. The torches need to be passed on. They will be missed and remembered, but they deserve the time to themselves. I wish all three of them well, and hope they stay on good terms with SW, and their fellow cast / crew members.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Instead, we get removal of some decent classic episodes from Netflix and Amazon, to be replaced with a horrible selection of mostly Around the Corner and newer episodes on HBO.
I'm a little disappointed in their episode selection as well, but if you look at who's probably watching them, it's younger adults who grew up with those shows. Keep in mind, Around the Corner started 23 years ago. That's nearly a whole me ago. While I watched stuff from the late 90s on, people a mere like 6 years older than me were watching the shows they have up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So then why is Sesame Workshop so stubborn about doing things that could possibly raise revenue? I've been saying for years that they should release their entire back catalog to a streaming service. Or maybe even start their own. I'd be all in for that, and would gladly pay money for it.

Instead, we get removal of some decent classic episodes from Netflix and Amazon, to be replaced with a horrible selection of mostly Around the Corner and newer episodes on HBO.
I've noticed a downswing in Sesame Street merchandise for adult fans lately. I mean, sure, you still have the Funko Pops, if you managed to catch them. But it feels like not too long ago, you couldn't punt a football without hitting a Sesame Street T-Shirt. I think they blew opportunities with the 45th anniversary, and we could have got a lot more commemorative merchandise to help pay for their budget. I mean, they had 35th anniversary stuff, and that's just as significant as 45 is.

And I do agree we need more officially released older stuff, but at least they're trying. We need to remember that the early 00's kinda sucked for old school fans. SW didn't recognize there even was a group wide enough that it would have been profitable or even worth the effort to see older episodes and clips to begin with. Then came Youtube, and the fanbase started filling those holes in. That was certainly a Godsend. Then we got a couple DVD releases here and there. But for actual for sale episodes, I really think they can do better.

Censored

Reaction score
I am not sure the full story(stories) of why they were let go/fired. I would like to point out though this could be a positive thing for themselves personally. Maybe they'll find that they can relax a little more, spend more time with family, friends. Still go around and promote the show and share their experience but not have to be under the studio lights for the long hours. The torches need to be passed on. They will be missed and remembered, but they deserve the time to themselves. I wish all three of them well, and hope they stay on good terms with SW, and their fellow cast / crew members.
People are capable of deciding for themselves when they need to relax and stop working. That's the difference between voluntary retirement and forced retirement. The elderly don't need to be told what's good for them. As long as one can do a job, age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. should have absolutely nothing to do with it. Period.

Censored

Reaction score
I certainly hope there is truth to the story that Sesame Workshop has reversed their decision to get rid of Bob, Gordon, and Luis. It's sad that they would even contemplate such a thing, but even sadder when fans of the show turn against the veteran actors as well. Please, all of you who appreciate all the years of happiness these three actors have given you, your children, grandchildren, etc., please write in and appeal to Sesame Workshop to do what is decent and fair. Just say no to ageism!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Yes say no to ageism, but I dunno if the ageism angle applies here, if so they'd also let Caroll Spinney and Loretta Long go, not to mention other people behind the scenes. Dunno if it's fair to pull the ageism card when we don't know the whole story. That's just me though. Instead of being upset with SW or HBO, lets keep supporting those actors in whatever they have coming up next. Probably not exact same circumstances, but kind of like when Joey and Maria left. It's sad but I wish them luck and support them on what their future projects are. :smile:

Censored

Reaction score
Yes say no to ageism, but I dunno if the ageism angle applies here, if so they'd also let Caroll Spinney and Loretta Long go, not to mention other people behind the scenes. Dunno if it's fair to pull the ageism card when we don't know the whole story. That's just me though. Instead of being upset with SW or HBO, lets keep supporting those actors in whatever they have coming up next. Probably not exact same circumstances, but kind of like when Joey and Maria left. It's sad but I wish them luck and support them on what their future projects are. :smile:

Bob McGrath seemed to think it had something to do with age. I'm not sure if Loretta Long is even still on the show. Carol Spinney might get a pass because no one sees him. Just by some of the comments I've heard, it's pretty clear that the elderly are not held in very high regard. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ironically, Sesame Street was inspired by Captain Kangaroo, who made a point of always playing an older man, even when he was young, to promote the special bond between grandparents and their grandchildren.
Further irony, the Captain lost Sam Gibbon, Dave Connell, and Jon Stone who jumped ship to join the Street at its formation. 15 years later, Kevin Clash followed as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
If it looks like a bunny, and it hops like a bunny, THEN IT MUST BE A BUNNY!!!