Billionaire Saban bows out of Muppets sale

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
311th post on 3/11

Dang, Luke, where have you been the last couple of days?

Anyway, can anyone explain what that whole Sesame Workshop part in the article means? Really, it's saying something like "EM.TV frees the creator of Elmo and Big Bird from creating educational-type programming and they could now do entertainment" or something like that.

Good grief...

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Perhaps, Emmy, you should *ahem* "borrow" Bill for a little while until they have no choice but to give you the company.

Just a thought.
hahahahaaaaaa don't tell................

hmm you wouldn't think Saban would be uneasy about rising a company from the dead...i mean how many times has power rangers come back?!?!?!?!

Sarah

Luke

Reaction score
Re: 311th post on 3/11

Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
Dang, Luke, where have you been the last couple of days?

Anyway, can anyone explain what that whole Sesame Workshop part in the article means?
LOL - Yeah i went away at the last minute for a long relaxing weekend and all heck breaks loose with the sale - i'm suprised ALF isn't president too !. The thing with Sesame is meant as an example of how EMTV has mismanaged Henson. Obviously they cut the price of Sesames debt to them when SW agreed to pay up in full earlier - so EMTV had to give them certain concessions. One of the concessions seems to have been to remove the restrictions on SW creating entertainment programming - so in theory they could compete against the Muppets and do Henson/EMTV out of some viewers and money. So they are implying that if EMTV hadn't agreed to that things would be better.

However, i'd kinda disagree. It isn't a great move but it isn't going to affect Henson much either. The whole point of Sesame is that it's always been very close to entertainment programming with educational elements built in - loads of the characters and storylines are built around that. Now, in theory they could have the 'Count' onscreen doing the mamba without worrying about doing the counting, but thats the whole point of the 'street' and characters. Changing directions just to compete against Henson would ruin what they have going, and anyway, even if they stuck to the current format, things like 'Elmo In Grouchland' ran against 'Muppets From Space' tons of times here and didn't affect anything.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Perhaps, Emmy, you should *ahem* "borrow" Bill for a little while until they have no choice but to give you the company.

Just a thought.
The whole reason I want the JHC is because of Bill.

If I already have Bill, then why own the company?

(of course if I own the JHC, then I can make Bill my secretary or my own personal fire fighter or something. Hmmmmmm....)

:smile:

:halo:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
The whole reason I want the JHC is because of Bill.
If I already have Bill, then why own the company?
(of course if I own the JHC, then I can make Bill my secretary or my own personal fire fighter or something. Hmmmmmm....)

the possibilities are endless....................

Sarah

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
The thing with Sesame is meant as an example of how EMTV has mismanaged Henson. Obviously they cut the price of Sesames debt to them when SW agreed to pay up in full earlier - so EMTV had to give them certain concessions. One of the concessions seems to have been to remove the restrictions on SW creating entertainment programming
So, under the EM.TV/Henson/Sesame/whatever deal, SW was "restricted" from creating entertainment programs, only educational? How did that work?

And is this Sesame debt the remainder of the $180 million SW paid back in Dec. '00 or somthing else?

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
the possibilities are endless....................
Indeed.

I think that everyone in the BBB should put their money together to buy the JHC.

And then... we promote Bill to the position of fire fighter.

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
OK, this i love. Today SW sent me a letter on how Disney is officially back in the running. I read it and all it is about is how the other bidders all backed out. It says nothing about Disney AT ALL.

But gang, guess what, guess what?!?!? I quit my job at the Evening News (cause me no likey) and I have an interview this week (the first of a couple) with Sesame again! Yay going back to Sesame! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

That is all. :excited:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Muppet Freak, you've worked at Sesame Workshop in the past?? Do tell.

Emmy,
All you want is Bill. I want the JHC and all properties therein. I'll take everything JHC and will let you have Fireman Bill whenever you want him (except when we need him to do some work).

I'll also loan you the equipment to make whatever kind of movie you want to make with Bill.

Foz

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I'll take everything JHC and will let you have Fireman Bill whenever you want him (except when we need him to do some work).
Although you have to be careful. I just might start setting fires around the set just to have Bill tend to his fire fighting duties. In fact, you might want to have him around me all the time (either to make sure I don't set any fires, or to set out the fires)...

Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I'll also loan you the equipment to make whatever kind of movie you want to make with Bill.
**goes into a fit of giggles**