Bill S.978: Stop it ASAP!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
As you may have heard (To those who are familiar with youtube) Senators are trying to pass a Bill to Make it a Felony to stream copyright such as background music on a video on a youtube video! In other words you can get arrested for showing a video of a friend singing Karaoke! It's an outrage, an Injustice, and Just Plain Low for the People who came up with this Idiotic Sheme! I want everyone to Vote against this in hopes that this Bill will never be Passed! ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!

Here's the Link To the Letter

The Very Fate of the Internet (and Youtube) is At Stake! Action must be Taken Right Away, I'm Counting on you guys!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm with you. It's incredibly dumb. Companies understandably want to make money, but by killing off ANY expression of fandom, fans are gonna start telling the companies where to go hang themselves. When it gets to the point where you can't say, for example, that "I love the Muppets" without adding ten paragraphs of disclaimers, you know life is not worth living anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somehow, I don't believe this is going to work anyway; how many times in the past have these groups tried to come up with lamebrain ideas like this that basically denounce audio/visual form of fandom, such as AMVs, Poops, etc? Viacom was especially notorious for that, even going so far as to create phony channels for themselves to upload similar content to coaxx unsuspecting members into doing the same, so they could be slapped with strikes on their accounts for copyright infringement, then have their accounts terminated.

The good thing is, however, in MOST cases, you WILL get busted if they find out, BUT, they don't go looking for it, so for a good amount of time, you could very well stay under the radar and never get caught.

Who came up with this bill anyway, Republicans?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
*facepalm*

I always found this logic hurting the company more than they think they are helping themselves. It brings in more fans. By preventing people from sharing the material, they are potentially losing people who would be fans becuase those people never find them.

for example, I look up a video with a song playing in the background. I decide I like that song, check out more songs, and soon become a fan. I would not have become a fan if I never saw that video. Its good publicity.

Its also that same logic about not wanting your material in a production. Why? You are only losing out on potential fans.

But then again what do I know about the entertainment industry? :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As you may have heard (To those who are familiar with youtube) Senators are trying to pass a Bill to Make it a Felony to stream copyright such as background music on a video on a youtube video! In other words you can get arrested for showing a video of a friend singing Karaoke! It's an outrage, an Injustice, and Just Plain Low for the People who came up with this Idiotic Sheme! I want everyone to Vote against this in hopes that this Bill will never be Passed! ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!

Here's the Link To the Letter

The Very Fate of the Internet (and Youtube) is At Stake! Action must be Taken Right Away, I'm Counting on you guys!

It is SOOO gonna pass, and I'm just gonna pull all my poops and my entire account on YT. This is an absolute travesty and the complete death knell for the internet, bringing it one step closer to being as repressed, restricted and ridiculous as television, movies, and all the other stuff we're avoiding.

Goodbye internet... thanks for killing it big fat overpaid companies that cry when they lose money for making trash movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I KNEW they were looking for a way to kill fair use. It's only a matter of time before they kill fan art too.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
They might take off my fanfics ... but they can't stop me from writing them ... OR ... from thinking them up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I understand the value of not pirating whole commercially available movies and TV... and I REALLY oppose to making ANY currently theatrical movies available on ANY outside market (especially for profit bootleg DVD's). I wouldn't be too offended if that stuff left, even if it means the rare cartoons and shows companies abandon because they're not profitable.

But I'll be BLAMMED if they get rid of fan driven content. There are a LOT of celebs and companies that LOVE the attention... like I said before:

That little button saves so much heart break. These companies shouldn't be shooting DOWN fan content... they should band together and sponsor it.

Without fan content and YTP and internet memes, the internet would be completely different... we'd have no "It's OVER 9000!!!", SnooPING AS Usual, I see, Weegee, All your base are belong to us... the latest thing is to remix songs to the sound of Nigel Thornberry going "BLAARGGLEARGLEGARGLE" or something. This stuff DOES NOT take from potential box office, ratings, record or DVD sales... it's just stupid kids having stupid fun, and it makes things that weren't popular for the longest time... gasp... POPULAR again. Look at the boost in Rick Astley's popularity when Rick Roll came about. Do you think he WOULDN'T be grateful for that? heck, Lady Gaga professed her fondness of a little girl who covered one of her songs on the piano.

This is just burning bridges that need not be burnt, tearing potential fans out of their stuff, and making sure that the only thing highlighted is the same random garbage that makes up the very same movies and TV shows no one's watching that get them to blame internet videos for these idiot CEO's own incompetence.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
As I recall, George Lucas was one of those "I'magonnagetsmeaguntadafans" types, blasting off cease-and-desist letters faster than a lightsaber.

And then fans told him which pier to jump off of.

Oh, look! He even supports and has his own award over at atomfilms! Amazing how the threat of being a POOR company can make one appreciate having customers....