Bill Nye is BACK!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Everyone's favorite science guy is baaaack! One of my favorite shows, too! Check it out: www.eyesofnye.org . It's a little more grown up than what everyone is familiar with, because the main fan base has done a bit of growing :big_grin: It's not everywhere, I can't get it in OK, but for those who would be able, it's time to get back to some science :wink:

Sarah

unclematt

Reaction score
Big Bill Nye fan. I remember when he was on the New Mickey Mouse Club. He taught me that Diet pop cans will float in water while regular pop cans will sink. He blinded me with science.

T-Bird Chick

Reaction score
i think i like the new bill nye better it looked funnier. i liked the old sketch pet rock theater and uncle frans playhouse!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
yes, but not all PBS stations have picked it up (many stations are leery of anything that might be considered a tad controversial after the Postcards from Buster thing) but the website has a list of stations that has picked it up.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
yes, but not all PBS stations have picked it up (many stations are leery of anything that might be considered a tad controversial after the Postcards from Buster thing) but the website has a list of stations that has picked it up.
Can you fill in this ill-informed Bill Nye fan as to what the "Postcards from Buster" thing is?

Good to hear Nye is back. He's in several attractions at EPCOT, so whenever I'm there I try to pay him a visit. :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
Can you fill in this ill-informed Bill Nye fan as to what the "Postcards from Buster" thing is?
Voilá ...

Progress Report said:
YOU'RE BUSTED, BUSTER
Jan 31, 2005

Late last year, when the Department of Education highlighted the new PBS series, Postcards from Buster, it praised the show's embrace of different cultures: "And by learning about different cultures, Buster also helps to show children what we all have in common." But apparently the concept of universal humanity only extends so far. On her second day on the job as secretary of education, Margaret Spellings, who replaced a previous education secretary with little regard for our nation's educators, has condemned a not-yet-aired episode of the show because the title character's visit to the state of Vermont, where he spends some time with Emma, an 11-year-old girl, and her 2 mommies. ... In a win for intolerence, PBS has chosen not to distribute the episode nationally to its subsidiary stations, but claims the decision is due to the sensitivity of the issue rather than the secretary's objections. However, PBS officials...had [earlier viewed and approved the episode].

Star Tribune said:
PBS CHIEF UNDER FIRE TO STEP DOWN
Feb 17. 2005

Pat Mitchell, the Public Broadcasting Service chief under fire for spending public money on a cartoon show that featured a real-life lesbian couple, will step down when her contract expires in June 2006. Mitchell drew criticism for Postcards from Buster, in which an animated bunny named Buster traveled to Vermont - a state known for recognizing same-sex civil unions. Though the focus was on farm life, the episode featured a lesbian couple. Education Secretary Margaret Spellings contended that the episode did not fulfill the intent Congress had in mind for programming.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Ah, I did hear about this, but didn't put two and two together. Thanks G!