Big News for Disney DVD

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
Has anyone ever asked the Disney company about his/her gender?
According to the IMDb, Disney denies the existence of the character altogether.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I find it terribly unfortunate that studios like Disney are willing to whitewash film history. It's important that we know how far we've come. I understand why they cut the sequences and young kids shouldn't be exposed to them, but they should have an uncut edition on hand. As a culture, we need to know how far we've come - how things used to be. Today's youth just doesn't get why African Americans in this country are upset. Companies like Disney are reinventing history.

I absolutely love Song of the South. I used to have a Japanese LD, but my ex stole it and sold it several years ago. (Very long story) I wish Disney, in their offensive cutting ways, would at least release the animated sequences and the Zippity Do Dah song in some sort of compilation DVD.

What's next, cutting all the black people out of Gone with the Wind? I know, it's not likely, but heck... in a couple of decades, who knows?
:smirk:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I adore Song of the South, and have a book that's almost 600 pages with the Complete tales, songs, and sayings of Uncle Remus. The books was what I was introduced to, first. It has the original AB Frost illustrations in it, too!!

wolfy

Reaction score
You know, Jamie, I can understand why the African-Americans are so upset at times, but to be honest, you can't rewrite history, so why do so many try to make people do just this?

Tom Sawyer, Uncle Tom's Cabin and Huckleberry Finn have all become "banned books" from many school libraries because they have mentions of slavery and the owning of slaves or the mistreatment of them in the books. I'm sure that Gone With the Wind would have ended up the same way, but for some reason both the movie and the book have survived.

If you try and find some of the movies that were mini-series in the late-70s, early-80s, such as "North & South," "Blue & Grey" and especially either "Mandingo" or the "Beulah Land" series, you will have a very difficult time finding them. Many people don't want to really believe that there were NICE Southerners who cared for their people and treated them nearly like family as some of these stories tell, and so many cry about the injustices done to them.

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this statement, but I truly believe in it: If the African-Americans feel that they got such a bad deal and are making all kinds of demands for retribution and so forth, why aren't the Native Americans doing the same, or even more? Don't the African-Americans think that the Native Americans got a much worse deal than they did? I sure do...

Okay...enough of that. Just my two cents about how I can't understand why or how a few people who want to (excuse the expression) whitewash the memories of what life was and what really happened in our world so that no child of theirs will know the deprivations and degregations of their ancestors can really make the entire world turn around and do just that...it boggles my mind...

Someday history is going to catch up with us again, because as the saying goes..."Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it..."
wolfy

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You know, I remember watching Song of the South 6 years ago and remembering my initial thoughts as a child. I enjoyed Uncle Remus, but absolutely hated the little boy's mother. She was so mean to Remus. It's funny that her character never really gains redemption in the film. She just cries a bit, but I still didn't like her. People are led to believe that all slaves were abused and tried to run away. Many were, but not all. And oppression and slavery is abuse in itself, but not all of them were trying to run away. Most of them accepted the life. It is a tragic period in American history and it should be seen for what it was. Not how current trends try to portray it. Nothing should be painted by only one brush. To learn from history, we must be educated in full.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I dont get it.

'Song of The South' has been banned right?

They just showed it last week uncut, on UK TV !

Whats the deal ?!

see ya

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I don't think Song of the South has been outright banned, because that would be a government mandate. Disney itself chooses not to release it in video format or for TV broadcast. It's a shame, because from what little clips I've seen, it's some of Disney's best work. And ironically, from what I understand, at the time Uncle Remus was a suprisingly positive, heroic portrayal.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
:concern: :frown: YOW! What a painful loss that must have been for you, Jamie. You have my sympathy.

To reassure all that the feature does exist on tape, I myself (and I think, Cantus Rock?) have a semi-decent VHS copy of it. As far as transfers go, I'd give this one a B+ rating.

If you want to see the movie in its entirety (which you should) at a low price, you can buy it at the Toontracker and Toonarific websites. But if you have a high salary and want to see the best print available, feel free to order it from hyah. Or ask me for it in a trade, which is probably the cheapest route. :wink:

As for the feature itself, it definitely deserves the DVD treatment that has been given to most of the Disney features. I say most of, because Fantasia is not the only Disney feature that has been altered for DVD release. :mad: :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Um, yeah, but, all of these scenes are intact in the home video releases. I know what you're talking about in TLM and TLK, but they haven't been cut. You might want to check out www.snopes.com for clarification on that.

And there's nipplage ALL over Fantasia, and not just in the Pastoral. The scene edited in the Pastoral has to be something else.
Look at a lot of the stuff on the site...

_ Aladdin tells teenagers to take off their clothes.

_ The Beast sports a tattoo in Beauty and the Beast.

_ Finland once banned Donald Duck because he wears no pants.

_ Belle makes a cameo appearance in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

_ Letters spelling the word S-E-X are formed by a cloud of dust in The Lion King.

_ Rafiki chants a naughty phrase in a talking Lion King book.

_ A [naughty part] was drawn on the video cover of The Little Mermaid by a disgruntled artist.

_ A minister becomes [excited] during the wedding scene in The Little Mermaid.

_ The look of Tinker Bell in Peter Pan was based on Marilyn Monroe.

_ Photographic images of a topless woman can be spotted in The Rescuers.

_ The film Song of the South has never been released on home video in the USA.

_ Lemmings were induced into jumping off a cliff for this Disney nature film.

_ Mischievous animators drew Jessica Rabbit naked.

_ Donald Duck shouts a racial epithet at Daffy Duck.

_ The personalities of the dwarf characters in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs represent the seven stages of cocaine addiction.
Out of all of these, only 3 were true(lemmings, Song of the south, topless women in the Rescuers) , most were unfounded

But a lot were false. The Donald duck calling Daffy a racial slurr is bullcrap!! I want to find the idiot who started that! He said "Why you little... I oughta..."

Strangely, no one ever had a complaint in the short when he's a lumber jack and belts out the politically incorrect "I might as well be working in a concentration camp."

Or the time he pulled a submachine gun on the audience. These two were true... unless I was on medication when I wacthed these, which I WASN'T!