Beware the Batman impressions

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A really good episode this week. This one felt like it had the strongest connectivity to the Nolanverse movie trilogy, what with the inclusion of The League of Assassins/Shadows represented by Lady Shiva and Silver Monkey as the main baddies. We got a bit more backstory on the fact that Ms. Yashimoro—Alfred's goddaughter in this series—is Katana, a former Assassins' member. Also, another nod to the Nolanverse was the inclusion of Mr. Rees and his special security team. I'm interested in the Soultaker sword because there are a couple of connected references I could make to that, but I'd prefer to wait until getting all the info on it first.

Oh, and I was pleased to hear Kevin Conroy still voicing Batman in the DC Shorts that aired after, though I hate the majority of those inserts.
And I agree, Charaxes or Killer Moth is the most pathetic villain Bats has faced.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The new episode has finally aired, and I'm glad to see the story arc of the Soultaker's Sword and the League of Assassins continue, or at least resolved! :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll have to :search: for the new channel CN's on, my cable provider pulled off a massive channel change mid-week that's left us scrambling to start adjusting once again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Skipping spoilers and discussions... I missed 2 episodes in a row since I want to watch them with someone who hasn't got the time lately.

But the next McDonald's Happy Meal (after the MMPR/Justice promotion) is going to be Beware the Batman.

Unfortunately, ALL the toys are Batman. No Alfred, no Pygg... just 4 different Batman poses and a Batmobile and a crappy looking mask. Still want to get these, but at least with the Green Lantern one, there was more variety. And by that I mean Killawogg and Razor.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was great seeing Pyg and Toad again in the latest episode. I was honestly beginning to miss them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm finally caught up.

Anyone else catch that "Cole Plastics" joke?

The Logo is the same markings of Plastic Man's Belt and Cole as in Jack Cole, creator of Plastic Man.

And yes. Pyg and Toad are excellent villains. It's a shame they don't have any collectibles yet. I love the Joker, Penguin et al, but I don't miss them at all in this series with the likes of Pyg and Toad. This is shaping up to be my second favorite Batman cartoon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...Aaaaaaaaaand it's on "hiatus mode" again. Yep. Not even Batman is safe from CN's constant sabotage of DC hero cartoons that aren't cheap flash based shorts with a 5 voice actor cast.

Just when I was beginning to actually like Teen Titans Go, now I got yet another reason to hate it. Clearly, BTB is expensive to produce and there hasn't been any attempt at merchandising (as I stated TTG just got some via Jazzwares) other than one Happy Meal and a just started comic adaption.

Jeez. CN. They do something decent, and then can't wait to find a way to intentionally screw it up. Meanwhile, Disney has 3 Marvel Cartoon series that aren't in direct competition of each other. Seriously... poach someone from Disney and ask them how they do it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, as if that wasn't bad enough...

1 Just announced that Japan will be getting a brand new exclusive Avengers anime series.
2 Beware the Bat's arc's being "borrowed" by CW's Arrow series. Last night's episode specifically, The Broken Doll featured a past serial killer villain named The Dollmaker who seemed to me to be much more in line with Professor Pyg's MO from Arkham Asylum 2003 than BTB's ecoterrorist version. Oh, and Black Canary's being given the same story there as Katana in BTB, having faked her own death to escape the grip of the League of Assasins.

All of that just serves to confirm my ong-held belief ever since Oliver Queen showed up in Smallville towards the beginning of Season 6... There's no need whatsoever for Batman in this CW/Smallville DC universe.
I'm also wondering how Fox will handle a Batman-less Gotham City in their upcoming live drama series focusing on James Gordon's rise through the GCPD ranks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
1 Just announced that Japan will be getting a brand new exclusive Avengers anime series.
I can just see them as Sentai Heroes with giant mechs right now. I know that's probably not the case, but that Japanese Spider-Man series... that was weird.

As long as we don't get something like Toei's Tomb of Dracula series. Shudder...

Anyway, yeah. TTG, I get why the show's popular. CN apparently rams it down everyone's throats, and gives BTB the "pretend they're on another network" cold shoulder. And if Batman wasn't the franchise WB has been milking on all platforms, it would just be a slight shrug. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the budget's too high for them, and they're going for cheaper, shorter, easier to create fare and they're purposely sabotaging this series while it has bottomless potential. The fact it's been replaced by reruns in an hour format of a 15 minute show proves that. They can't even bother to rerun BTB.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Got some good news and some bad news.

The good news? Beware the Bat's coming back to CN.
The bad news? It'll be on at 3:00 AM EST.

Just announced, Beware the Bat will be added to CN's Toonami lineup starting on May 10, 2014 at the time mentioned above. And yes, we'll have to go through the already aired eleven episodes to get to the new episodes starting on July 26, 2014. Also, there are a total of twenty-six episodes, so I don't rully expect more after that. So that's your update for today fellow Gothamites.

And before you ask, no, I am no mere lowly creature of the night. I am a fully devoted disciple of darkness.
Beware the Bat... But Fear the Reaper and Respect the Dead Man.