Beware the Batman impressions

mr3urious

Reaction score
I saw the premiere episode and I quite enjoyed it despite the bowdlerization of the guns (because as we all know, fictional guns are SO detrimental to society, but turn a blind eye to the real-life ones :rolleyes: ). I like the focus on the more obscure villains in the rogues gallery (namely the retooled Professor Pyg and Mister Toad), the increased emphasis on detective work, and Batman himself getting badly hurt at times.

*Cue hardcore Batman fans saying it sucks compared to TAS*

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet...but I really wish they'd play around more with other characters....it seems like we keep getting rebooted Batman shows...I mean if they're good I guess thats okay and I know Batman is their big Cash Cow(l)...but I really like some of the shorts they've been doing and such..and I liked what I saw of Young Justice (don't have cable so I've only seen a few episodes)...but Batman has been done to death and I wonder if there are too many more angles to explore there (though I like the point about increased emphasis on the Detective work...it seems like thats always a point on Batman that gets brushed aside)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw the premiere episode and I quite enjoyed it despite the bowdlerization of the guns (because as we all know, fictional guns are SO detrimental to society, but turn a blind eye to the real-life ones :rolleyes: ). I like the focus on the more obscure villains in the rogues gallery (namely the retooled Professor Pyg and Mister Toad), the increased emphasis on detective work, and Batman himself getting badly hurt at times.
The guns were Bowdlerized due to the shooting in Aurora. It was out of sensitivity, not the usual pandering to anti-violence in cartoon groups. Plus, it doesn't look like they toned them down that much. There is such a workaround showing guns on a kid's show, that most of the time, they shoot lasers anyway. Thankfully it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting.

Other than that, I was looking quite forward to this show, and my expectations were blown away. I'm loving that there is no Joker or Riddler, or anyone we've seen hundreds of times before. Professor Pygg was an intriguing villain, I love Udo Kier (or however you spell that) as his Toad assistant. And I'm loving how much of a bad**s Alfred is. More like a bodyguard than a butler.

So far, I'm digging this far more than the last 2 Batman cartoons... and I'm a Huge Brave and the Bold fan.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Really liked the Magpie episode last week. It has plenty of great twists (but do they still count if they're foreshadowed?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
2 episodes in and it's already one of my favorite Batman shows. Watch everyone who complained about the show cry their eyes out when this gets unjustly cancelled at some point.

The Magpie episode was brilliant. I have had a suspicion for some time that they only make "Kids" cartoons for adults now, and this episode confirms it. These kid's action shows are written so much smarter than most adult action crime dramas, even the really good ones.

I really hope that Barbara doesn't become Batgirl too soon in this series. I really hated how she was portrayed in The Batman... essentially Jade from Jackie Chan Adventures (fair enough, since they were the same writers) until Robin came on and gave her someone to talk to.

And I'm really loving Gordon being an antagonist. Clearly there's going to be some character growth right there as the show progresses. Also love how he's Red Foreman.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up who Lt. Gordon's VA is Drtooth.

Missed out on the premiere episode, I'll probably catch it when they start rerunning.

1 The only nitpick about Magpie I have is that her real identity is supposed to be Margaret Pye (not Sorrow) which makes her villain name a shortened form of her civilian name.
Other than that, I love it was Gray DeLysol voicing Magpie.

2 Am I the only one who kept unfortunately flashing back to My Gym Partner's a Monkey with her entire "shiny shiny" schtick?

3 Bethany Ravencroft... Okay, forgive my geekness, but that's the family name of Sarah, the old witch from Oak Haven from Scooby-Doo and The Witch's Ghost; as well as Ben, her descendant who basically released her evil back into the mortal world in the second half of the movie.

I'm definitely glad to have been proven wrong at the greatness of this show and will definitely keep watching all episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's be honest. The worst thing animated Batman was ever associated with was Super Friends. Even the 1970's cartoon with Batmite had some intentionally fun moments (though I wish they got Larry Storch back as The Joker... I'm not crazy about Lennie Weinrib's interpretation). I will say I pretty much disliked the Third season of The Batman (the one where they introduced BatJade)... but other than that, there has never been a mindnumbingly terrible Batman cartoon.

Something tells me Beware the Batman will be the next Spectacular Spider-Man. Everyone hates it until they actually see it, and then when it gets cancelled, they'll immediately hate the next cartoon for not being like it.

Poor Ultimate Spider-Man. They try so hard to get as many obscure Marvel characters into the show as possible. Even had Howard the Duck and a whole episode devoted to Guardians of the Galaxy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
1 The only nitpick about Magpie I have is that her real identity is supposed to be Margaret Pye (not Sorrow) which makes her villain name a shortened form of her civilian name.
Other than that, I love it was Gray DeLysol voicing Magpie.
It's no different from the Clock King's real name being changed from William Tockman to Temple Fugate in TAS.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I must say, I like Anarky's new white costume. It contrasts well with Bats' black look, and better drives home the point that he is his antithesis.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really hoping that Barbara Gordon doesn't become BatGirl too soon.

Though an All CGI BatGirl cartoon would be a funny little way to reference the last episode of Brave and the Bold.