Best episodes of The Muppet Show

Super Scooter

Reaction score
My personal favorite that I've seen so far would have to be the episode guest starring Lynda Carter. I'm not entirely sure why, it just is.

But, the funniest one I've seen so far (I haven't seen John Cleese yet) is Milton Berle. It's terrific hearing Statler and Waldorf heckling him! And I love hearing the hesitation in Richard Hunt's voice as he's playing Statler in those scenes.

And, of course, I have to give a shout out to Gorgon Heap's favorite episode, the one guest starring Paul Williams. Hands-down the best episode of the whole first season.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I love the Star Wars cast episode. Mainly because I love Star Wars, and if I remember, there was a part where C3PO was dancing :stick_out_tongue: :big_grin: And who doesn't love Dirth Nader? :flirt: :halo:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
My favourites are:Connie Stevens/Avery Schrieber/Mummunschanz/Madeline Kahn/George Burns/Elton John/Julie Andrews/Leo Sayer/Harry Belafonte/Elke Sommer/Jean Stapleton/Cloris Leachman/Milton Berle/Alice Cooper/Lola Falana/Liza Minelli/Sheilds & Yarnell/Kenny Rogers/Crystal Gayle/Star Wars/Carol Burnett/Loretta Swit/Mac Davis/Paul Simon/Melissa Manchester/Christopher Langham/Deborah Harry/Gene Kelly/Marty Feldman :smile: :embarrassed: :mad:

camilla

Reaction score
My favourite episode has to be Pual Simon. I loe the music and respct him for letting the Muppets put their anarchic touch to them. Love the Gonzo scnese and Scarborough Fair. .

Other favourties are John Cleese and Harry Belafonte

Sarah

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Okay, a longer list it is:

Juliet Prowse, Connie Stevens, Joel Grey (love the look and feel of those first few)
Rita Moreno (so many different comedy styles in the same half hour! So terrific!)
Paul Williams (my all-time favorite, the template for things to come, the format clicks in)
Ben Vereen (a classic, great guest star, memorable plot, great pacing & look!)
Vincent Price (monsters! also a great look)
Don Knotts (first episode I had on tape; funneeee!)
Rich Little (the humor, look and feel of it- oh, and monsters!)
Teresa Brewer (great pacing, colorful and energetic episode)
George Burns
Bernadette Peters (the second season's 'blue' period; monochromatic gray/blue look is neat, show is sentimental at times and funny at others; this one is a classic!)
Rudolf Nureyev (one of my all-time faves! Art and culture, indeed lol! Dignity and class just makes things funnier)
Elton John (this was where my Elton John fanaticism started)
Lou Rawls (my favorite singer! Also a nice colorful, fast-paced, funny episode)
Cleo Laine (love Cleo's numbers, and Fozzie's weaseling his way into every part of the show)
Julie Andrews (classic! Julie works so well with the Muppets)
Peter Sellers (the plot is a little forced, but Peter is brilliant!)
Petula Clark (great second season show, great songs from Petula and classic acts all around)
Roy Clark (plot is hilarious! Roy is terrific!)
James Coco (fun episode)
Helen Reddy (fun episode, great music, esp. "You and Me Against the World" and "We'll Sing in the Sunshine"; great visual design, too)
Harry Belafonte (this one has a different look and feel to it, but it's kinda cool)
Lesley Ann Warren (this one's just enjoyable, nice to look at- so is Lesley, btw... Grrrrowwwwl! :flirt: :stick_out_tongue: :wink: :big_grin: )
Spike Milligan (the only guest star crazier than the Muppets; funny and wacky and frantic, I love the look of the show and also how the theater is so full of characters)
Roger Miller (a classic!)
Lola Falana (touching while still being funny and sardonic at the same time- brilliant balance of humor and pathos, some of the best writing they've ever done on the show. Love "He's the Greatest Dancer" and "United we Stand", too!)
Lynda Carter (fun, great music, neat look to the show)
Alan Arkin (switches between different humor styles, great, fun episode)
Loretta Swit (a classic, fun, funny and well-written; great musical numbers, too)
Glenda Jackson (I just love pirates, also I love the look and feel of this show and the acts in it)
Roger Moore (saw it years ago, love the look and feel of this one too, love "In the Navy" and the various sketches)
Paul Simon (all hail Paul Simon!)
Gladys Knight (she's such a great singer, show had some great numbers)
Hal Linden (different but fun and funny; Hal's opening number is priceless, also he's just very talented)
Marty Feldman (one of their most perfect guest stars, hilarious! Arabian Nights was funny, innovative, and looked great too)
Chris Langham (one of their funniest guests)
Gene Kelly (a fitting close to one of the greatest TV shows ever)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Convincing John

Reaction score
Tap...your troubles away!

radionate said:
Hands down, Gilda Radner. She is one of the biggest influences in comedy in my life. I miss her, and treasure that episode.

This is my favorite too, for obvious reasons! :flirt::smile::big_grin::excited:

I also enjoy the Star Wars and Dudley Moore episodes, too. The Paul Williams one was cool because you got to see the Muppet versions of Paul Williams! And of course, Juliet Prowse because of Mahna Mahna! Let's face it, that dude rocks! (Just for the record, he's the only Muppet to be mentioned in a "Weird Al" Yankovic song)!:crazy:

Do, do, do, do, do

Convincing John

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
This is my favorite too, for obvious reasons! :flirt::smile::big_grin::excited:

I also enjoy the Star Wars and Dudley Moore episodes, too. The Paul Williams one was cool because you got to see the Muppet versions of Paul Williams! And of course, Juliet Prowse because of Mahna Mahna! Let's face it, that dude rocks! (Just for the record, he's the only Muppet to be mentioned in a "Weird Al" Yankovic song)!:crazy:

Do, do, do, do, do

Convincing John
Wha? What "Weird Al" Yankovic song mentions Mahna Mahna?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yeah, Weird Al sang about Mahna Mahna!

He sang about (well, mentioned) Mahna Mahna in his new song called "Couch Potato". He sings "and the Muppet Show where they go 'Mahna Mahna'!"

It's in the middle of the song. You can go to this link and listen to it:

http://entertainment.msn.com/Artist/?artist=100720

Convincing John

dbarrie

Reaction score
It's hard for me to list off my favourite episodes since they all have their share of fun and entertaining moments. I can write about my favourite skits later, but some of my favourite "episodes" include the ones with: Harry Belafonte, Edgar Bergen, Carol Burnett, Lynda Carter, Johnny Cash, John Denver, Lena Horne, Elton John, Madeline Kahn, Steve Martin, Spike Milligan, Roger Moore, Bernadette Peters, Vincent Price, Gilda Radner, Christopher Reeve, Peter Sellers, Shields & Yarnell, Paul Simon and Paul Williams.

The one episode I know I like least of all is the one with Marisa Berenson. Her acting is flat, her singing is terrible, and she she projects a very snobby, stuck-up air about her. I wasn't very fond of the episodes with Arlo Guthrie or Glenda Jackson, either.

The most disappointing episodes for me would be the Jonathan Winters and Star Wars ones. They could've been so much better. I mention Winters because he didn't do much and didn't appear too comfortable being there. I mention Star Wars because I felt that show's "plot" reaked of fromage, but the Scottish gargoyle was OK.

OI MuppetFan

camilla

Reaction score
If you are taling about the shows i liked the least. i reallt was not enamoured with the Sly Stallone one. i feel he was not th right type of person to be with the Muppets. The liberace one was not that great either. I like the guests who really get into it and enjoy being with the Muppets

Sarah