Bert & Ernie Puppets Stolen?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an old newspaper clipping, probably from the early 90's, from a UK paper that reports that original puppets of Bert and Ernie had been stolen.

I was wandering if anyone else was aware of this, and were they ever recoverd or were the thieves caught!

Chris

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I remember when that happened. I remember imagining that I caught the thief and the Muppets were so grateful they gave me those puppets. :stick_out_tongue::frown:

Well, a kid can dream, can't he?

:smile:

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I remember when that happened. I remember imagining that I caught the thief and the Muppets were so grateful they gave me those puppets. :stick_out_tongue::frown:

Well, a kid can dream, can't he?

:smile:
That would be cool!

I also know the Muppets lost the Clueless Morgan puppet after Muppets Tonight,

""If anyone out there has seen him, please ask him to call home. His family misses him."

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Also, at Muppetfest (I wasn't there, though...), didn't they say something about a Robin puppet?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
OH DEAR,

I didnt know so many had been stolen/Lost.

Maybe there is a 'Great Muppet Snatcher'!

I'll try to find out the article over the weekend and see exactly what it says.

Chris

Kermieuk

Reaction score
OK, I found the article in my scrap book, well one my Muppet scrap books, its only a small article about 2" x 1". It says that thieves stole the original Bert and Ernie puppets from a show in Germany, there was a £4500 reward for the puppets valued at approx $80,000. The thieves bypassed other puppets like Miss Piggy!

I wonder what show it was? I have wrote February '96 next to the article!

Chris

Convincing John

Reaction score
That would be cool!

I also know the Muppets lost the Clueless Morgan puppet after Muppets Tonight,

""If anyone out there has seen him, please ask him to call home. His family misses him."
Was there more than one puppet of him? I saw a Clueless Morgan puppet in 1999 at a "Vision of Jim Henson" exhibit in Bettendorf, Iowa. They also had Polly Lobster and Mad Monty on display, too.

Convincing John

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I always found it kind of "funny" in a way that anyone would steal stuff items that rare. I mean it's not like you could just sell it right? Sure maybe you could display it in a collection but sooner or later someone would catch on, wouldn't they?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Here's some info from a news clipping:

"Six weeks ago, Bert and Ernie the original Sesame Street muppet dolls disappeared from an exhibition in Germany, but now have been returned. Made of sterner stuff, Miss Piggy had also been on display but, true to form, resisted all attempts at abduction.

Two stolen "Muppet" dolls, Bert and Ernie, were recovered on Friday (March 15) six weeks after they were stolen from an exhibition in Erfurt.

The original Jim Henson dolls are valued at 125 thousand U.S.

dollars.

The dolls, which appeared in the children's Sesame Street TV series were handed back and will rejoin the exhibit which is now in Bremen.

The exhibit was vandalised during the raid but the famous Miss Piggy resisted attempts to abduct her. The glass display case was damaged but the thieves failed to lay hands on the puppet star."