Bert and Ernie get their names

kaypee

Reaction score
Andywan Kenobi posted a thread in TV appearances that mentioned Bert and Ernie found their names because Jim Henson liked Its a Wonderful Life so much.

People seem divided as to whether this is myth or not.

I was at SesameWorkshop http://www.sesameworkshop.org/35/trivia/ playing trivia with my preschooler when guess what question they asked.
I got it "right" saying Bert and Ernie were named from Its a Wonderful Life, but is that true?
Does anyone have any more evidence (either way.)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
According to imdb.com, it's just a coincedence. But if that's the case where DID the names come from? It's kind of hard to believe they just pulled the names "Bert" and "Ernie" out of a hat.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Henson.com's old FAQ's a while back (back when they still had the Muppets and Sesame) asked where Bert and Ernie's name came from, and if it was from It's a Wonderful Life. They said no it was a coincedence that Frank and Jim just liked the names and felt they fit the puppets and the personalities. But I too saw the trivia game made by Sesame Workshop and got the question that said different. I don't know which story is true.