Being Able To Print Toys At Home? Future Is Here

beaker

Reaction score
Myself, and especially Dr Tooth have lamented at length about toys that are too pricey, or hard to find.
Or Chinese sweat shops, etc.

But soon you'll be able to print out any toy you want, fully painted indistinguishable from the store version.

http://www.alternet.org/visions/155254/future_tech_how_3d_printing_will_change_the_world

Already Paramont Studios is suing people who are posting the 3d files of action figures parts.

Imagine that. Being able to print out ANY hard plastic item as long as you have the file for it.
Heck, for Muppet collectors you could potentially(if custom figure 3d artists made the files) be able to download every Muppet character in figure form ever.

The article also talks about the bad and potentially bizarre downside as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't think I totally comprehend this, but 3-D printing is supposedly how the movie Paranorman was made.

This could completely revolutionize stop motion movie making. That's far more interesting to me than having action figures.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I have to be honest, the article really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but trying to understand what you guys are saying, are they SERIOUSLY talking about an actual printer that can bring products? Sounds too good to be true.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My brain must be too feeble to comprehend how the heck this thing works. I've heard of it before, and it just does not make sense to me

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Rapid prototypers have been around for years

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Isn't it kind of like Dark Man's masks in the movie Dark Man? jk Col idea though

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've seen video demonstrations on YouTube, looks pretty interesting if they could really make this work. I always thought the Star Trek replicators were too good to be true, but you never know! Lol

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just took a look at a video demonstration on YT... this really does seem to good to be true.

So... let's say I wanted to print my dead bunny Tommie, or my dream girl, or Jim Henson...? :confused: