Behold! The Worst Cartoon Show of all time

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still like him. But I would prefer to have Zim be the show that survived all this time.
I hate the fact that they canceled Zim and all, but I would have hated to see them pull a John K/Ren and Stimpy and fire the creator and make ultra-sanitized episodes that don't hold a candle to the original. The poor animation of those episodes alone... and the nonsequitor plot lines... Plus, it seemed to find a niche market in goth and emo posers that I don't really care for... of course, they're keeping the show alive... and if it wasn;'t for them, Nightmare Before Christmas would have been a forgotten project.

Yeah, overexposure kills character... Winnie the Pooh, Elmo... etc. etc. I like the Sponge and all, nut of the millions and millions of products with him on it, very few of it is quality.. and the part that is is usually Burger King premiums. Hey, it took them 5 years to even get action figures, and they didn't last for very long. I love the show and all, but it is an acquired taste. You either really love it or you really hate it.

On the subject at hand, I can list bad cartoons, or cartoons I hate, but they really don't have the same "THE HECK! ? !"- itvity that Clutch has. I really really hate Skunk Fu, but it has beautiful Flash animation, for example. And I agree 100% with Andy Richter about DragonTales... why is a magic dragon with wings in a wheelchair? And the endless parade of "Look at how shocking we can pretend to be in lieu of being clever or funny" type Adult Swim shows... I like Harvey Birdman and ATHF, and Robot Chicken is hit or miss... but everything else falls flat into bad internet cartoon quality. But none of them have the Clutch Cargo brand of idiotic storylines, moronic and slow dialogue, and super imposed human mouths.

Really, the Mystery Science Theater Blokes NEED to release a DVD or something where they just watch Clutch Cargo...

Drtooth

Reaction score
BUMP:

While this isn't Clutch Cargo bad, it is still bad. And not even in a fun way...

I give you Hanna Barbera's "The Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOZ0DvNEmc
Desecrating one of the greatest comic book characters ever aside, there's nothing innovative, creative, well done, or visually appealing about the series. It turned into one of HB's TERRIBLE 1970's Archie ripoffs (mercifully without the singing of bubblegum pop) to the point that one of the characters is a brown haired Reggie. Thing barely does anything (we can't have action in action shows, after all... thanks ACT ). AH! The old "toss around a robot and no one really gets hurt" trick. All in all one of the worst super hero cartoons I've ever seen. Super Friends (especially Challenge of the,) at LEAST had a nice campy goofiness to it. This one isn't even so bad it's good. It's just... bad.

For the first time in my life, I'm REALLY grateful for the Disney buyout of Marvel. And while we may never see the fun 1960's Fantastic Four (with Paul Frees as The Thing) again, thankfully this trash is going to be buried deep by the opposing copyright holders.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I loved the Clutch Cargo parody that was on the Incredibles DVD. The in-character commentary was a laugh, too.

...but I think the actual Clutch Cargo is terrible.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Clutch Cargo falls sharply into being So Bad it's Good. The fun little game is to pick out the actual frames of animation. It's like a drinking game that everyone remains perfectly sober. There's at least 2 seconds of animation per arc.

Slackbot

Reaction score
It's amazing that the legendary Al Toth worked on that show. have memories of watching it when I was 4 or 5 and being weirded out by the lips. I couldn't understand why they'd use live lips on cartoon faces. Yeah, I was a left-brained little squirt.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From what I understand, the Syncro-Vox bit came from old short films where they made animals talk. I guess they figured, it's cheaper and easier than attempting lip synch. And said super imposed lips were easier to do than animating anything. So basically, it looks like a nightmarish version of a Filmation cartoon.

The whole deal is they wanted to make this big epic cartoon that was (in their exact words) just as good as Disney's with a fraction of the budget. Not as such. I'll admit, there are parts of the stories that are intentionally good. There was this bit about bank robbers in a random Western town, and they kept stealing from the same bank, yet keeping their goods there, and eventually getting scammed by Clutch into trading all that money for (fool's) gold. Kinda clever, but I'm not doing it justice with my recollection. But the dialogue and acting is just so terrible, it's hilarious. Hal Smith is like the ONLY person who could act.

Later, the studio would move on to actual limited animation and do The New Three Stooges. That was more of a so Average it's okay.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
The videos are no longer available...
It's an extremely sore point with me that most kids shows are either a)junk or b) completely sanitized. It's like in the nineties people started to get all paranoid. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for, and there's nothing wrong with a show that appeals across the board

Drtooth

Reaction score
The videos are no longer available...
It's an extremely sore point with me that most kids shows are either a)junk or b) completely sanitized. It's like in the nineties people started to get all paranoid. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for, and there's nothing wrong with a show that appeals across the board

First off, here's a new video...

It's the entire Big X, if anyone can stomach the entire thing (or get through it without laughing to death).

I'm NOT looking for another Hanna Barbera "The Thing is now a Teenager" show. Clutch Cargo is unintentionally hilarious, seeing what they did to The Thing (perhaps the greatest Marvel...nay...comic book character ever) is absolutely horrifying and depressing.

Secondly, what are you talking about?

Clutch Cargo was a show from the 1960's. More to the point, Clutch Cargo was from the period of cartoons that were made specifically for hosted local Kid's TV programs. If anyone watched UHF, that's what the Uncle Nutzy's Clubhouse comes from (in turn, that was taken from Mad Magazine that directly parodied those). Clutch was one of those serialized adventure shows, like Crusader Rabbit, Ruff and Reddy, and Rocky and Bullwinkle. Even with that historical background, Clutch is insanely stupid. In context or out of context. Even without the Synchro Vox superimposed lips, the show was ridiculous. And not even playfully ridiculous.

Of course.... I've discovered something worse than Clutch Cargo...

Ladies and Gentlemen: Paddy the Pelican.

Clutch... I... I kinda owe you an apology on that one.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I'm just saying that bad quality becomes more noticeable in the nineties to me. If of course there are bad shows from before then. I just haven't seen as many from that era.
In the clutch clip I started laughing the moment the paper plane went in the air XD
*Edit* Paddy reaction: uh, what?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering that the new [adult swim] show Mr. Pickles is a good contender for one of the worst. Sure, the concept of a satanic dog protecting a boy who gets into trouble in a Lassie parody (yep! A Lassie parody in 2014) has merit, I was treated to every single thing wrong with adult animation at once. Ugly character designs for ugly's sake, "shock" humor that amounts to lame poop and rape jokes, and over all, "let's be offensive and not clever instead of funny." Thing is, I'm sure that the AS audience is completely desensitized to shock/offensive humor (as I am), and the entire show comes off as a cliche storm of adult cartoon tropes.

Seriously. I didn't think there could be a show uglier and less funny than Allen Gregory. There is.