Behold... the New Teen Titans Cartoon...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As for TTG being the worst... I'll agree that of the shows in production, it's easily my least favorite...but... I can't say it's CN's worst thing ever. I needn't name a certain monkey based show, but even TTG made me laugh on occasion. I find the cheaply thrown together Cookie Jar produced Johnny Tests a lot worse (TTG is far better for at least not making whip crack sound effects every time someone so much as moves slightly). The live action series I won't bother about. And even if I'm going to say TTG is not even the worst show currently on the network. That distinction belongs to reruns of Baby Looney Tunes. I mean, the only good thing about it is...well... at least Yo Yogi isn't the worst Spinoff Babies series there is as a result. Seriously...Baby Looney Tunes is my trigger. At least TTG, even at its worst, is not as mind obliterating and anger inducing as BLT.
No, it is not. I strongly disagree with you. The network has had worse shows like the live-action stuff.
I don't think it's the worst show the network has ever produced. I just mean of the shows currently in production, it's my least favorite and I very rarely enjoy it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. I also feel that the Titans haven't been as A-holish to each other and everyone else in recent episodes as they were in past ones. They still get in on some of that from time to time, but it seems that that aspect has been getting toned down a bit.
Then the April Fool's episode happened. :insatiable: But that's to be expected. Shame the last one minute of the show was much better than the rest of it. I wish they made a whole episode like that to be an April Fool's joke.

I try to be a little more positive than most about this show, I feel. It is my least favorite of the group, especially since there's some really strongly written hows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe. I've always liked CN's original cartoons (with a few exceptions). And technically, while this is a DC/WB animation series, I tend to categorize it as a CN original as it's in the line up with other CN originals. There are criticisms of the show I can agree with, especially since this is the only DC cartoon currently in production (Marvel manages 3).

My major complaints about the series are:

• The show runs way too much during the day, and other shows are shoved to death slots or randomly pulled from the line up. Though that's more of a problem on CN's end than the show. So technically it's more a complaint at the network.
  • It's clear this was put into production because of how low cost it is. Now, I have no problem with the flash animation, but the fact they only get a sixth voice actor on occasion leads to less appearances from former villains. Plus, as it's cheaper to produce, that's one of the reasons why CN kept it around.
  • The third season has become very formulaic. Not that they didn't have a formula before, but I'd like to see a lot less of "Titans get obsessed over something, it bites them in the butt, they have to go to the magic realm of something" and more...well...
  • My main problem with the series is these could be any five characters in any kind of cartoon series a good chunk of the time. I get they're going for an "omake" style for the characters (think comedy OVA of a more serious Japanese series), but I really want to see them use the characters to their full potential. Even if they have to be silent, I want them to have more of their original villains make appearances.
That said, I have to admit I caught "Animals! It's just a Word" yesterday, and I really liked the giant mutant rat and gator. If we're going to have a lot of original characters on the show, unnamed mutant gator and rat should make another appearance. I mean, they already have their animation models on file.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The April Fools episode was chock full of uncomfortable comedic sociopathy (the biggest low being the others minus Raven tricking Robin into thinking his parents were alive and waiting at the door to see him), though I like to think the whole episode was one big April Fool going by the very end. :rolleyes:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The April Fools episode was chock full of uncomfortable comedic sociopathy (the biggest low being the others minus Raven tricking Robin into thinking his parents were alive and waiting at the door to see him), though I like to think the whole episode was one big April Fool going by the very end. :rolleyes:
That is just messed up. That's dark even for Raven.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I see that, but I didn't think it was that bad. At least the Raven called the others out on their actions and they kinda ended up regretting what they were doing to each other.

Not to mention the always-delightful trolling and middle-fingering that the show enjoys doing and has every reason to do. :laugh:

Maybe the next episode will be better, either way.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It pretty much went as I expected one would. The thing about Robin's parents was a low blow, but, again, expected.

I did like the Raven generally cared about their well being, though. But the only thing that honks me off about this episode is the title. I think we were robbed of an actual Batman VS Superman parody, especially since...

They could have spent the entire episode doing something stupid only to fight Batman for like 2 minutes halfway through, or made fun of how poorly Lex Luthor was portrayed in the actual movie. Maybe have him awkwardly, slowly slide a Jolly Rancher into someone's mouth. Seriously. THAT HAPPENS IN THE MOVIE!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice to see a different writer for a change this season. It's one of the producers again, and I think he did a better job about playing with the subject matter than Ben usually does. I liked how it was a sarcastic clip show that seemed to be mandated by WB animation, and Robin spent the entire episode groaning about it. I especially was pleased when Robin wondering how if they're such a successful show they should have a bigger budget with Raven stating, "you'd think so, but..." Seems even the writers are frustrated with the series's cost effectiveness. Nice to see the characters playing around with tropes again.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nice to see a different writer for a change this season. It's one of the producers again, and I think he did a better job about playing with the subject matter than Ben usually does. I liked how it was a sarcastic clip show that seemed to be mandated by WB animation, and Robin spent the entire episode groaning about it.
I agree. This was definitely one of the better episodes this season because of how meta it was.

I especially was pleased when Robin wondering how if they're such a successful show they should have a bigger budget with Raven stating, "you'd think so, but..." Seems even the writers are frustrated with the series's cost effectiveness. Nice to see the characters playing around with tropes again.
And you'd think with it even being animated in Flash on Canadian tax credit, it would be immune to this sort of budget-saving measure. Apparently not. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And you'd think with it even being animated in Flash on Canadian tax credit, it would be immune to this sort of budget-saving measure. Apparently not. :stick_out_tongue:

This episode really seemed to be the writers venting on the limitations that I'm starting to think are partially why the show is the way it is. I remember one of them saying about "Serious Business" how they'd never be able to make the episode if Khary Peyton wasn't the voice of Aqualad. Then seeing the episode and noting how he's the only one of them that talked, that struck me as the showrunners would love to have many more voice actors beyond the five VA's the usually have and the occasional one other as a guest. No freaking wonder why this was the only DC comics show WB wanted to continue. Not only is it cheap, it's really cheap. Cheaper than the writers want. That's why they do have so many of these bottle episodes.

That said, these Meta episodes are what makes the show better than it is, and it's why I can draw enjoyment from it. I loved "Fourth Wall." Heck, I even liked "Return of Slade" for being the trolliest middle finger to the fan base possible. It's just the episodes where they obsess about something stupid I don't care much for, unless they do something fun with it. The one where Cyborg is obsessed with that one song was good for both the visuals and the homage to Transformers the Movie (bonus points for having the character who is also the voice of RID Grimlock turn into Optimus Prime). It's just that the last bunch of episodes got stale and generic. Even the April Fool's Day one really should have been 11 minutes of what they did at the end instead of Family Guy-esque gags.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I remember one of them saying about "Serious Business" how they'd never be able to make the episode if Khary Peyton wasn't the voice of Aqualad.
"Let's Get Serious" is the actual name of the episode you're talking about. "Serious Business" is the one where Robin learns about the "magic" of the bathroom after his friends show him that it's much more fun to use it for a very long time for anything other than its intended purpose, which causes the bathroom to reveal itself as an alien from a destroyed home planet who fled to Earth to find some appreciation from humans, leading to him and other bathrooms to rebel from this blatant abuse. It's also idiotic as usual, but I can kinda enjoy the possible subtext of a staff member or two getting frustrated over long bathroom wait times in real life, inspiring the ep. in question.