Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Hubert

Reaction score
:mad:: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

It bugs me so much when a beauty magazine or website uses this quote. Now you can call me a college student or intellectual egghead for this (super Muppet geeks, that was for you), but they're missing the whole point of the quote. To me the quote isn't about beauty, it is about life.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I know that this part of the quote wasn't originated by the Muppets, but in this context I think it means something different than usual. It is basically "The quality of the things you create is determined by the person who experiences them."

"and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." To me this basically means "if this person doesn't see the quality of your work, you gotta prove them wrong." If someone doesn't believe in your work, what you're doing, and you know it's good, prove them that they're wrong. Create something great. Prove what you're doing is great. Don't let people's opinions get in your way of what you know is good.

"The quality of the things you create is determined by the person who experiences them. If this person doesn't see the quality of your work, you gotta prove them wrong." That's what I really believe the Muppets are saying right there. You gotta prove 'em all wrong.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Huh. And this whole time, I was thinking this:

:mad: "Gonzo, you may think I'm beautiful, but you're wierd, and I'm gunna hurt ya if ya don't back off buzzard beak!"

... Somethin' like that...

Hubert

Reaction score
Wow. People are actually reading my ramblings. Really, no one ever appreciates my quote dissections.

At least tell me you got the obscure Muppet reference.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I actually agree with you 100%...I think that's probably what Jim Henson went through when trying to get The Muppet Show off the ground...not literally giving people black eyes but he had to go literally out of his way *refering having to look outside the United States* before people actually believed that his work was good enough. And he definitely proved people wrong who kept telling him no or didn't appericate his work. He created a dynasty of imagination, creativity, and a place for all of us go to. :smile:

Hubert

Reaction score
I actually agree with you 100%...I think that's probably what Jim Henson went through when trying to get The Muppet Show off the ground...not literally giving people black eyes but he had to go literally out of his way *refering having to look outside the United States* before people actually believed that his work was good enough. And he definitely proved people wrong who kept telling him no or didn't appericate his work. He created a dynasty of imagination, creativity, and a place for all of us go to. :smile:
Perfectly stated. He did that quote. People didn't believe in the quality of his work at first, so what did he do? He proved 'em all wrong!

bandit

Reaction score
You can look at it another way too! I mean, you can completely bypass the nonbelievers and plug along, believing in yourself and if you keep doing THAT hard enough, eventually you WILL run into people who will agree. People who have a similar point of view or aesthetic. I think, really, it means 'Don't Give up!' And by giving them a black eye you can not necessarily convince them but say 'To h--- with them!" Do it anyway. Because you'll never get everyone to agree with you and you don't have to. YOU is enough for starters. Eventually, people will follow.

Hubert

Reaction score
You can look at it another way too! I mean, you can completely bypass the nonbelievers and plug along, believing in yourself and if you keep doing THAT hard enough, eventually you WILL run into people who will agree. People who have a similar point of view or aesthetic. I think, really, it means 'Don't Give up!' And by giving them a black eye you can not necessarily convince them but say 'To h--- with them!" Do it anyway. Because you'll never get everyone to agree with you and you don't have to. YOU is enough for starters. Eventually, people will follow.
Yep. Also a valid way of looking at it. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Such and inspiring thread! Love it! But that's what Jim Henson was "inspiring"