Batman Visits TMS...A Scene

Jennifer

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I'm trying to hammer out an idea of the Justice League of America being on TMS, but haven't gotten it all written down yet. If anyone can think of any good songs for each individual member to do (Green Lantern and Kermit are going to duet on "Bein' Green") and one good ensemble number for the end, LMK. In the meanwhile, here's Batman's scene...

(Backstage. Rowlf running through some piano scales. Kermit approaches Superman.)

Kermit: Superman, we’ve got the other JLA members’ numbers lined up, but I don’t see anything listed for Batman yet. You know anything he could sing?

Superman: Pffft. You kidding? Batman sing?

Kermit: You don’t think he’d be up to even one song?

Superman: Look, the guy’s a close friend and all, but I just don’t see him singing. I can hear him now. (Deep broody voice.) "I am vengeance. I am the night. I…don’t…sing!"

Batman (entering with sheet music) : Rowlf…here’s the sheet music for the song I’m going to sing.

(Kermit and Superman exchange shocked glances.)

Superman: Lemme see that. (Picks up sheet music.) …I never had you pegged as a Sondheim fan.

Batman (haughtily) : I like my musical theatre with a soupcon of intelligence, thank you very much. You boys ready? Let’s get the show on the road.

Superman (muttering) : A little Dark Knight music…

(As they head out, we see a menacing shadow creeping through the backstage area, accompanied by a familiar, chilling laugh.)

(Kermit introduces Batman. Curtain goes up to reveal him leaning on Rowlf’s piano.)

Rowlf: You know, this has always been one of my favorite songs. It’s a shame a lot of people don’t get it.

Batman: That’s because it’s always played out of context. In the show A Little Night Music, the character who sings it is an actress—hence all the references to farce, entrances, knowing her lines. She had her chance at marriage years ago with the man she realizes is the love of her life, and now that she realizes it he’s not available. It should be funny, but she’s not laughing.

Rowlf: Well, let’s see if it comes across any better with you singing it.

Batman: D flat major…and ready?
(Rowlf begins to play. Spotlight narrows on Batman, who adopts an appropriately introspective look.)

Batman: Isn’t it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in midair?
Send in the clowns…

(A shadow slips along the back of the stage.)

Isn’t it bliss?
Don’t you approve?
One who keeps tearing around… (He sees the shadow and makes a move. It vanishes. He shrugs.)
One who can’t move?
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns!

(The curtain rustles. )

Just when I’d stopped
Opening doors… (He yanks at the curtain. Nothing.)
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours…
Making my entrance again with my usual flair… (Now we see a brief glimpse of a familiar, grinning face peek out from the backdrop.)
Sure of my lines… (He yanks aside the backdrop…)
No one is there. (And no one is. He shrugs. All through this he hasn’t missed a beat.)

Don’t you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you’d want what I want…
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns!

The Joker (leaping out): Don’t bother…THEY’RE HERE!!!

(He points a gun at Rowlf. The audience gasps.)

Joker: NOBODY MOVE! Or the piano player gets it! And that goes for your friends backstage! If they so much as try anything, it’s the final curtain! Thought a little public humiliation would be perfect for you, Bats…

Statler (from above): You’re a little late for that…he already agreed to be on this show!
Statler and Waldorf: DOH, HO HO HO!!!

Joker: Funny, chaps. But first of all, this is MY song now and I’M going to be the one to sing it! You…dog! Start the song over! And remember…no funny stuff from any of you!

(Terrified, Rowlf begins the song again. The Joker launches into it, directing his lines mockingly at Batman.)

Joker: Isn’t it rich?
Are we a pair? (pinches Batman’s cheek)
Me here at last on the ground,
You in midair?
Send in the clowns!

Isn’t it bliss?
Don’t you approve?
One who keeps tearing around… (Batman attempts to make a move…)
One who CAN’T MOVE?! (The Joker trains the gun more threateningly on Rowlf.)
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns!

Just when I’d stopped
Opening doors
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours… (leers mockingly at Batman)
Making my entrance again with my usual flair… (We see Scooter quietly slip along the back. Batman nods at him meaningfully.)
Sure of my lines…
No one is there!

(With even more mockery)
Don’t you love farce?
My fault, I fear!
I thought that you’d want what I want…
Sorry, my dear! (Throwing his arm around Batman’s shoulders.)
But where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns!
Don’t bother…they’re here!

(And suddenly a sandbag lands on the Joker, sending the gun skittering from his hand. Batman pounces, rapidly tying the Joker up with the Batarang. The audience breaks into applause.)

Batman: Well done, Scooter! (He hauls the Joker to his feet. Rowlf resumes the song…)

Joker (tragically): Isn’t it rich?
Isn’t it queer?
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
…And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns…

Batman (mockingly): …Well…maybe next year!

(The rest of the JLA show up to haul the Joker off. Batman bows on the last note.)

So...what'd'ya think? And remember, keep some ideas coming my way!

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i think it sounds rad! you should have the Penguin on the show (he'll turn the tms penguins into EVIL penguins). and here's a good idea, Robin and Robin singing "Rockin' Robin".

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Favorite parts:

Superman: Look, the guy’s a close friend and all, but I just don’t see him singing. I can hear him now. (Deep broody voice.) "I am vengeance. I am the night. I…don’t…sing!"

Batman (entering with sheet music) : Rowlf…here’s the sheet music for the song I’m going to sing.

(Kermit and Superman exchange shocked glances.)

Superman: Lemme see that. (Picks up sheet music.) …I never had you pegged as a Sondheim fan.

Superman (muttering) : A little Dark Knight music…

Batman: D flat major…and ready?

This is some good stuff. You might want to expand this into an outline or a script.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jennifer, here are a few more ideas for an all-JLA episode of TMS.
1 Remember the underwater scenery used for the musical number based on the song "Octopus's Garden"? Well, you could have that same scenery in the background for a new underwater number. Lew Zealand, wearing scuba gear, and Aquaman both sing the Beatles "Yellow Submarine". When Aquaman sings the part about "and the band begins to play", that would be a cue for the Gill Brothers to take the stage. Lew would play the role of the underwater submarine captain echoing Aquaman's lead and frustrating the musical performance with his boomerang fishies thrown out at different intervals.
2 The bridge of the Swine Trek is peacefully exploring outer space when suddenly small explosions rock the ship. Dirth Nader's outside bombing the brave little vessel, which forces the crew to land on Mars or Planet Koozbane as you may prefer. Martian Man Hunter then shows up to defeat Dirth Nader, who taunts our hero with zany show logic. MMH deduces that the only way to truly save the day is perform a song and dance number, learning from the mistakes of past visitors. *Hint, Hint, reference to the Star Wars episode.*
MMH says that there's only one song in his heart and calls out to his side asking if his backup's ready. The camera pans over to the right showing some of the Martians from Sesame Street who respond with their Yip-Yip Uha-Uha call.
MMH: "OK, then count us off."
Martians: (in their best Martian speaking/singing voices rotating between the blue, pink, and orange Martian) "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven... eight... nine!"
MMH starts singing Martian Beauty, and as he does so an Anything/Whatnot Muppet is constructed in the likeness of his number 9 cutie.
3 Grand Finale: This music number includes a group effort from all the Muppet Show superheroes from the Linda Carter episode and all the heroes from the JLA in front of a mock-up replica of the Hall of Justice singing the Rainbow Connection.

Use these if you wish at no additional charge.

Jennifer

Reaction score
Mind reader...

Actually, you sort of read my mind regarding "Yellow Submarine." I wasn 't sure of Aquaman since I was more or less going with the regular cartoon JLA cast. But I was going to have GL try to provide special effects for "Yellow Submarine"...only to have his ring go kaput when the sub comes onstage.

He later apologizes to Kermit, who says he understands. This leads into the duet of "Bein' Green."

kansasteen14

Reaction score
this is GREAT stuff but here is an idea Wonder Woman and Miss Piggy should sing "I am Woman"

no wait those two and Janice should sing "I will survive"