Baseball 2006

Ziffel

Reaction score
And now that the NCAA basketball season is over and Major League baseball has begun, I thought I'd start a thread for any comments about this season as it goes along.
Well, I was glad to see my Yankees started off with a 15-2 rout in Oakland! And the Philadelphia Sillies (er... Phillies) got creamed by the Cardinals 13-5 (13-1 at one point!).

And here's some funny quotes from good ol' Yogi Berra:

- Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" To this, Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

- I really liked it. Even the music was good. (When asked if he liked the opera one evening.)

- It was hard to have a conversation with anyone - there were too many people talking.

- I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it. (When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.)

- The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

- I'd say he's done more than that. (When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.)

- I wish I had an answer to that, because I'm tired of answering that question.

- 90% of the game is half mental.

- I really didn't say everything I said.

These are so great! :smile:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
The Cubs pwned the Reds Monday afternoon.

Sure, they lost the second game against them, but it wasn't by as bad a margin as what Cincinatti lost to Chicago on Monday.

This makes me happy.

-Kim

Ziffel

Reaction score
And now you're probably ecstatic, Skeeter, since the Cubbies beat the Cards two in a row! :smile:
And cograts to your Brewers, Muppets Rule. 5 and O! Too bad the Tigers won again or the Brew Crew would be the only undefeated team in baseball.
And I'm glad to see Barry Bonds still hasn't hit a homerun yet this year.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Thanks Ziffel. Would be a great accomplishment if the Crew could contend for the Wild Card. The National League Central is just so tough -- with the Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, and Cinncinnati all contenders. The Brewers are just sooo young so my feeling is they are still a year or two away but you never know.

MGov

Reaction score
The way the Cubs played the last two days, if Prior and Wood were healthy, they would be the pick for the World Series this year.

Ziffel

Reaction score
MuppetsRule said:
The National League Central is just so tough -- with the Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, and Cinncinnati all contenders.
Boy did you ever get that right, Muppets Rule. It's a brutally tough division this year. At least the Brew Crew are still just 3 games out of first, despite the good records of their competition.
Glad to see my Yanks are now in sole posession of first place! (by five percentage points over the Bosox :smile: ).
Looks like the Braves 14 year division run may finally end this year; those Mets look good.
The defending champion Chisox are doing handsomely; perhaps will win the Series again.
And do those Detroit Tigers finally have a team? 16-9 now, and what a weekend series they had against the Twinkies, eh? Outscored them something like 33-1! :eek:
And I'm happy that baseball won't be doing a special celebration when that turkey passes Babe Ruth's home run total.

doctort13

Reaction score
I am happy that the new ownership of The Reds has lit a fire under the bench.

Welcome back to baseball Reds!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I am happy that the new ownership of The Reds has lit a fire under the bench.

Welcome back to baseball Reds!
I guess you could say the same for the Brewers. New ownership has made all the difference in the world.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well around here in my area everyone's excited about the Phillies five game winning streak. But I just don't think the have the pitching to seriously contend for the playoffs. We'll see how they do when they play the 19-9 Mets this month.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Go A's! Whoo! Ok, so they may not be as good as they could be, but hey! I gotta stand up for my team!