Avenue Q- a great spoof? (SPOILER-FREE)

MrMuppet93

Reaction score
A person I know of mine is probably going to see the ultimate Sesame Street homage that is a Broadway play as one of the many for his drama club field trip to NY.

I heard ex-SW crew worked on the original run and SW allowed this spoof reluctantly (you can tell me the full story), and I know some of the songs, like the song that sounds like the Sesame Street theme and "The Internet Is for P**n". I also know of the title to another, "It Sucks To Be Me". And that's all I'll be giving away, because I don't know the entire plot.

Way back in the early 2000s, 2004 being the latest I would have seen it, I remember seeing a local commercial for tickets to an off-Broadway version. My first reaction was similar to any kid seeing Happytime Murders (naughty puppets), minus the All Sesame No Street gimmcik. (I think one swear word was bleeped out in that commercial). I asked my parents to take me to that play when I was kid seeing that local ad and they said no. What I didn't realize until high school or so is that it was a Sesame Street spoof. I couldn't add 2 and 2 together.

Without giving anything away, have you seen the play Avenue Q and was a great homage to the longest-running preschool show?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yes (thrice), and yes. It's not a show full of mean jokes towards Sesame Street or poking too many holes in it (some of the stuff I've heard from early demos were a lot more pointed against children's shows).

I can see the Happytime Murders comparison and sure, there are a bunch of naughty jokes in the show, but the difference being this show is actually funny. A lot of the stuff would be funny even without puppets, and the puppets just make it funnier; HTM has no such ambitions.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I think it's a pretty good parody. It's not like the show. The only thing in the show that spoofs Sesame Street is the setting and several characters. Apparently though there is a deleted scene at the very beginning of the show where Trekkie Monster says "tonight's show is sponsored by the letter P for (you know what)".