Ave Q Song Inquiry

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Ok, I was listing to internet radio the other day. And ... this song came on and it sounded like Ernie and a very badly voiced Bert. The only thing I can acquaint it to is Adult Sesame Street, it sounded like "Bert" Was trying to read a book, and "Ernie" As always was disturbing him. I know it wasn't Bert and Ernie. I can't remember any of the lyrics. If somebody could point me in the direction of where this came from I'd be thankful. If I'm in the wrong section please move me.

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Yes, that's it. Thanks. Did they have to get permission or something to use Ernie's voice so closely? What does Sesame Workshop think about this?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
On all posters (and the website) it says "Avenue Q has not been authorized or approved in any manner by The Jim Henson Company or Sesame Workshop, which have no responsibility for its content." But the puppeteers have worked for either one (or both) at some point.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Avenue_Q

Kerri

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty wrong.

Just like the episode of "America's Got Talent" I saw last night, which had a ventriliquist (sp?) holding a turtle puppet yet singing a voice "as" Kermit. Of course, the name Kermit wasn't used, it was implied, when the man said that the puppet was doing an "impression of a [beloved? famous? I forget which] amphibian (again, sp?).

It's really infringement, I think, impersonating a voice that we would all recognize, characteristics we recognize, and then... contorting the views that character would have, saying things the character would never say, or worse, really being vulgar in a way the real character clearly would never be.

At least in the show I saw last night the ventriliquist wasn't offensive to Kermit....

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty wrong.
Not really. As AQ co-writer Jeff Marx said: "During early previews in the States we invited Jim Henson's widow and children and they could see that what we were doing was a homage and love letter to 'Sesame Street.'"

Also, the writers are not buying into the "gay" :stick_out_tongue: /:frown: rumor - they're mocking the rumor. :big_grin:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Also, the writers are not buying into the "gay" :stick_out_tongue: /:frown: rumor - they're mocking the rumor. :big_grin:
Especially considering only one of the two characters in Avenue Q actually is.

It would all fall under parody laws anyway. I believe that's mentioned in the Muppet Wiki page Boober Gorg cited.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah from what I've seen it's more parodying the rumor. And you don't need permission with parody. I wish I could see the play at some point!

Kerri

Reaction score
Not really. As AQ co-writer Jeff Marx said: "During early previews in the States we invited Jim Henson's widow and children and they could see that what we were doing was a homage and love letter to 'Sesame Street.'"

Oh, that's cool, as long as they weren't being insultive, cause that wouldn't be right. As long as it's done with good intentions, a kind of tip of the hat kinda way, that's fine, I'd think.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think John Tartaglia play the Bert based guy? It's funny because he's Ernie on play with me Sesame. I think the guy who's playing the Ernie character does a better job then John's real Ernie.:stick_out_tongue: