Authentic, Fully Licensed, Muppet Replicas Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The only worry I have over any of this is folks photographing the characters in bad positions. Then again, that's already over the internet now anyhow, isn't it? So, nothing will change.

Maybe since these are higher priced folks will take better care of them?

Erine81981

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Well if they don't Kevin. We'll show them who's boss of these furry characters with our fish........oh sorry I meant to say fist or did I mean fish? Oh well. Will show them something.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The only worry I have over any of this is folks photographing the characters in bad positions. Then again, that's already over the internet now anyhow, isn't it? So, nothing will change.

I think you're right on that last point. People who are going to shell out the money for these probably are going to treat them with some respect. If not, it's no different than what people can do with PhotoShop anyway.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
People who are going to shell out the money for these probably are going to treat them with some respect. If not, it's no different than what people can do with PhotoShop anyway.
EXACTLY what I was just thinking, right down to the word! AndyWan, are you reading my mind??

:stick_out_tongue:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
EXACTLY what I was just thinking, right down to the word! AndyWan, are you reading my mind??

:stick_out_tongue:
(Uh oh, better cover . . . ) Um, no.

:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Well if they don't Kevin. We'll show them who's boss of these furry characters with our fish........oh sorry I meant to say fist or did I mean fish? Oh well. Will show them something.
Or, I could always just pull my rubber chicken out of retirement for a good thwackin!

Yeah, that's why I hem-hawed in that last thead of mine. What's to keep folks from doing what they already do anyhow? Price or not.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
MuppetsRule said:
Ravagefrackle,
How does this cheapen the integrity of the mupppets? Is it really any different than the singing Kermit dolls or any of the Kermit stuffed dolls? Just curious as to how you feels it cheapens them.

BigDumbWookiee said:
Also keep in mind that the Kermit in the photo was shot with flash photography as well, which drains a lot of the coloration (people were freaking out about photos of the MR YWing as well, which also suffered due to flash photography).

Nobody is claiming Kermit to be a "prop" or a "special effects monster". Steve from MR said himself, it's their "first "studio scale" Muppet replica".

I'd rather see quality merchandise like this come out, that helps keep interest alive in the Muppets, than to disallow merchandise and let the property die a slow death because of lack of interest.
why do i feel this cheapens the muppets, beacuse seeing Kermit , or any other muppet that you are a fan of should be a special thing, be it at a live performance apperance, or on tv, or in a movie,or even in the occasionall museum it should be something special, that you personnaly expirience in the moment,

for a green piece of fleece, and foam, his is a living breathing entity, not a lightsaber, or mask ,or a prop gun, he has annimous, and by mass producing(yes i realize we are not talking about thousands of these) you are taking what should be a rare and memorable event and turning it into a another piece of pop culture dreck,

yes their are shoddy toys out there, but they are just that , toys, not "replicas", and when u see them u know they are toys,they are ment to be played with by little kids, or sit on a shelf in someones home or office as kitsch,

as far as this keeping the property alive, how is it doing that, this is something that only a well to do die hard fanboy is going to be able to afford, its doesnt further thier creative potential, and cements them as characters from a bygone era suitible only for consumption as relics of the past , and not the stars of tommorow that they could be.

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I love how people that dont like a certain product instantly label it's fans as "fanboys". I absolutely agree with the idea that everyone should be able to state their opinions, no matter how different, and I certainly respect your view. And although I dont agree with it, I'm not going to berate people who don't agree with me. Sure, I'm going to defend a product when someone says it's "poor quality", when they more than likely have no experience with other products from that company, and certainly havent seen the piece on their own.

At the end of the day, even though we're referring to it as a replica, it's just a bigger, more expensive toy. It's a toy for bigger kids, meant to be posed and displayed, as kitsch, in your home, office, what have you.

And I believe (and its just an opinion) that stuff like this does help the longevity of muppets. Products like these appeal to an entirely different audience. Just like with Master Replica's Star Wars replicas, adult fans dont necessarily want a bunch of toys laying around, but have an endearing love for the license, and the replicas are their way of supporting that. This is the same thing. Not everyone wants Muppet toys, and not everyone has the time or talent to dedicate to true puppetry. Just like a painting or statue, this is something that allows fans to say "Hey, I love Muppets", without cluttering their house with toys, or stuffed animals. And if these take off, that means yet another product line supporting the Muppet cause. And the more money coming in from products means the better chances we'll continue to see Muppet movies or Muppets on TV.

MuppetCrazy

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
why do i feel this cheapens the muppets, beacuse seeing Kermit , or any other muppet that you are a fan of should be a special thing, be it at a live performance apperance, or on tv, or in a movie,or even in the occasionall museum it should be something special, that you personnaly expirience in the moment

Ravagefrackle......thanks for your explanation. While at first it seemed like you were bickering to bicker, you truly have a valid point. I agree with you 100%. How many of the Star Wars fans have life-sized Darth Vaders in their homes?? They may have lightsabers, etc., but like you said Kermit is the entity. Kermit stuffed animals are one thing, but a replica just doesn't make them seem as real. Thanks for your opinion!! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.