Attaching feathers to a puppet's head

ma0298

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working on a rebuild of my 2nd puppet scratch where I used the glorified sock puppet pattern from project puppet and I am trying to (in my rebuild ) make the feathers less messy because when I put the on the original puppet, the hot glue was (and still is) messy is there any way I can attach the feathers without the glue setting so messy? ( i am using a strand of 5 ostrich feathers that I am pulling out of a doll hairpiece I foud at hobby lobby )

Help would be much appreciated!

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Or thread them through from inside.. And secure the ends with glue on the inside.
A large eyed needle will work great for threading them

ma0298

Reaction score
Thanks muppet lab I think that's what I'm going to try :smile:

ashkent

Reaction score
For me it depends on how many you are attaching . For a full head like Animal i bought full feathers and hot glued strips of organza the same colour as the skin to the bottom of the spines before cutting the spines from the main feather. Then i glued them to the head in layers which only meant the last couple of layers needed to me added individually to finish it off.

ma0298

Reaction score
For this puppet I was using a strand of 5 feathers on top of his head, ashkent,

And muppetlab, thanks your advice helped and it made the fethers look better. Than the first scratch! Thanks!